Misnomers in PA (pls fix if possible, Uber)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by icycalm, January 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Misnomers in PA in order of importance:

1. Moon biomes and moons

A moon is a body orbiting a planet. The "moon" biome should be renamed to "lunar biome", to designate a stellar body (whether a planet or a moon) that has similar surface characteristics to the Earth's moon. It gets confusing in games when you are talking about a planet's moon and someone else is talking about a planet with a lunar biome.

2. Team games and Free-for-alls

You can have an FFA Team game, such as for example 2v2v2v2v2v2. So when people ask me if I like FFAs, I say "Yes", and they misunderstand me and think that I like 1v1v1v1v1s, which I don't like. Also, why no alliances in FFA team games? Why not be able to ally in a 2v2v2v2v2? This entire confusion proceeds from the misnaming of the modes.

3. The metal planet

It's not a metal planet, it's an artificial planet. A metal planet would be a planet made out of lead, for example. It's the same with water planet, gas planet and so on.

Any more misnomers, post them here. These are the 3 that have caused me the most frustration so far (especially the first 2, the third is largely an aesthetic issue).
    Masahiro9891 likes this.
  2. tommybananas

tommybananas Active Member

That FFA team game is still just a team game regardless of the number of teams, its still just team based game play.
    websterx01 and stuart98 like this.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I just agree with the second.
  4. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I agree with the confusion on the moon thing, but i think the word moon is way cooler then the word lunar so i think i'd rather keep it.
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. icycalm

People say "lunar landscape". No one says "moon landscape"... It's just bad English.
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

In the concept art it's called a barren biome.
  7. icycalm

A team game with many teams is still an FFA. And this is the kind of game I prefer to play. An FFA. But between teams. Which should also be able to ally.
  8. icycalm

I think you guys will realize the issue when we can play 20- and 30-player matches more easily.
  9. icycalm

1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1 can ally.

2v2v2v2v2v2v2v2v2v2v2 cannot ally.

Why?

Because of shoddy terminology.
  10. didlix

didlix Active Member

moon/lunar. *meh*
    metal/artificial *meh*

ffa means "free for all", not "free for some/teams"
    stuart98, imperatorurist and Nicb1 like this.
  11. Mogzai

Mogzai New Member

I have one question. Why?
    stuart98 likes this.
  12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I really think you're wrong about team FFA. A team game still involves teams, even if it's a million teams. An FFA is pretty much standardized as one 1v1v1v1 etc.

Edit: I have no idea how I feel about the moon and metal planet stuff.
    Last edited by a moderator: January 21, 2015
    cptconundrum likes this.
  13. icycalm

I don't like you either, webster.
    websterx01 likes this.
  14. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I have 2 gripes with your post really.

1. FFA implies that the game is a (Free For All) aka every man woman and child for themselves. The moment 2 or more people are working together/placed on the same team it becomes a team game (although if 2 players collaborate in a true FFA it is still FFA since there is the inevitable backstab that will occur). Team implies that 2 or more players are working together/in an alliance. I see no potential confusion here whatsoever.

2. Seriously. I don’t think anyone here except for yours truly gives a toss about the naming of the metal planet. Yes it is still a valid complaint but seriously. If we are going to go there, then it shouldn’t be called an artificial planet it should instead be called a massive weapon, Death star, Super weapon and etcetera since I am unaware of any planet in existence which can act as a natural weapon and is capable of producing a massive beam of death aimed at other celestial bodies. If such a thing exists please enlighten me.
  15. icycalm

The confusion clearly exists, otherwise we would be able to ally in team games.

An artificial planet is an artificial planet. It is a planet made by man (or lifeforms), as opposed to one created by natural processes. So that is the correct way to name that planet: artificial. So I am asking Uber to consider renaming it to something more appropriate. If they want to call it a death planet, that's good too. More specific than merely artificial. But metal planet conjures an image of a ball of lead of something, the same way that gas planet conjures an image of a ball of gas and water planet of a planet covered by water. And people are already making fun of metal planets with no metal (as in the BRN home system), so it is definitely an issue.
    Last edited: January 21, 2015
  16. didlix

didlix Active Member

Or Humans… If we assume that women might have a part to play in all this…
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Society sucks, but I'm sure neither of them meant any offense to the female gender. He is just an open term, as is man. Even in languages other than English, such as spanish.

(Example: A group consisting if guys and gals OR just guys would be addressed with "hey guys" whilst a group consisting of women would be "hey girls".)
    cptconundrum and icycalm like this.
  18. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Sorry have to clear up my post a bit. Will reiterate some of the important points of my argument.
    Artificial planet implies that the structure directly simulates a planet. It is evident in PA that this type of so called metal planet is not a planet at all. I am unaware of any planet which is able to fire a giant death beam, nor am I aware of a planet constructed entirely of metal or in a manner which the PA "metal planet" is constructed. Again I will reiterate that PA's "metal planet" infact does not emulate an existing planet at all. If you want to be this accurate then it would be better to refer to them as something like an artificial sphere, fortress, Death Star and all those names that I mentioned earlier.
  19. icycalm

It has the shape of a planet and it orbits the sun. So it IS a planet. There is no question about that.

The earth may one day be able to fire a giant death beam, and it will still be a planet. You are confusing a weapon with stellar mechanics.

I already said I am fine with death planet or something similar. Anything at all is better than metal planet, because it isn't one.
  20. Mogzai

Mogzai New Member

@icycalm Furthermore, I don't understand why one you would care enough to spend time arguing your idealistic game without taking in your arguments flaws and perfecting them or just accept that you are wrong.
    stuart98 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.