The PAG debacle

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by icycalm, January 18, 2015.

?

BRN vs. PAG rematch with extra icy included?

1. HELL YEAH!

35 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T DOOOOOO THIIIIIIIIIS!

27 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i wonder if either anchors or avengers should have tracking missiles or not to
    simply not miss ... in case of avenger this may allow for similar micro like with hummingbirds with the difference of avangers acting more like fighterbombers ... thoughts?
  2. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

[​IMG]
    theseeker2, drz1 and squishypon3 like this.
  3. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Well that was terrifying and hypnotic, in equal measure.
    Clopse likes this.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

if you look at a different angle it looks like going reverse
  5. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

jeffrobot: ya know, i thought it was kind of lame that you offered to ditch our clan
    jeffrobot: there is no clan without you
    jeffrobot: and i like this group of people
    icycalm: hmmmm
    icycalm: first off, they would never have accepted in a million years
    icycalm: i was basically trolling them
    icycalm: second off
    icycalm: if they ever accepted, it would only be in 1 or 2 years when we are playing huge wars and they suck at them
    icycalm: (while we will be near the top of the clan roster)
    icycalm: and then I would indeed do it because it is an interesting project, but by then our clan would be big and established, and recoil could manage it
    icycalm: you might be better at micro than him, but he is better at strategy, and only the best strategist can lead
    jeffrobot: i dont wan to lead our clan. the whole point of this clan is that you are the leader.
    icycalm: it's not the whole point
    icycalm: the whole point is that there IS a leader
    icycalm: and that we do STRATEGY first, not tactics
    jeffrobot: i get that its a worthy project for you. just wanted to say something.
    icycalm: and i would only be leaving the clan for PA
    icycalm: in all other games i would still be in the clan
    jeffrobot: gotcha
  6. icycalm

To continue the discussion on the PAG debacle, imagine for a moment a 10v10 match between Cult and PAG on a single planet. And let's say PAG decides to spawn wherever and do 10 1v1s because neptunio doesn't like anyone telling him where to spawn. How would the match go down?

I'd make two 5-player megabases and smash each one of their little bases in turn within minutes. We'd probably even out-micro them, because you only need 1 player to manage a megabase, and the other 4 players per base would be doing full micro. 2 land commanders, 1 on recon and 1 on the air force. The synergistic benefits of this approach increase exponentially as more players are added to it.

How would PAG counter this?
    mugendai, ingolfr and optimi like this.
  7. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

why is there another thread with icycalm directly attacking another clan that hasn't been locked?!
    stuart98, theseeker2 and mered4 like this.
  8. icycalm

That is another match by the way, that I want to see happen. Just give me a shout if and when you are ready for it.
  9. icycalm

The PAG debacle is one of the most interesting things happening on Clan Wars, and indeed in PA as a competitive game. People love to talk and joke about it, they love to discuss it. I just made a thread to explore it (a very popular thread too, precisely because the subject is so interesting), and you are asking for it to be locked?
  10. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

The OP was actually quite constructive, and I thought it would be really interesting to see how the proposed game played out. It's only in the subsequent discussion that things have been a bit heated - nothing rule-breaking yet really.
    cdrkf, squishypon3, wilhelmvx and 3 others like this.
  11. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah I agree, nothing wrong here at all. I wouldnt play the game, because as I have mentioned this type of game is not fun for me. I however don't speak for the rest of PAG so best of luck trying to get them to play. Hard enough to get four of them for the clan wars :p.
    cptconundrum and squishypon3 like this.
  12. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

You always speak for me clopse, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes I find myself talking in an Irish accent, and it comforts me.

Yeah probably
  13. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

*chuckles*

Have you SEEN PAG's APM, CULT? I have. It's scary.

Some of them also fake it by clicking rapidly to give things orders.

But we are trying to be constructive, right?

Right. I will vacate the premises, so as to promote constructivity and so on. :cool:
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. icycalm

Micro wouldn't even matter in the game I described. And when I say "out-micro" I don't mean "out-APM". These two things aren't the same thing. APM is meaningless when you have a single player just managing the airforce and being on top of a couple fighter groups at all times.
  15. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

I'd like to formally apply to join CULT.

neptunio: I'm joining CULT
    clopse: Ok
    neptunio: Thanks for everything
    clopse: It has been an honor
    mrelodea: I am a massive idiot with no friends or skill
    neptunio: ikr

My micro is pretty bad, but it doesn't really matter
  16. icycalm

The problem with large games with lots of players per team is that, by following a single plan, a team can place HUGE amounts of force at select points on the system at select times, while those who are not following a plan cannot do the same, nor even gather enough force at that point to fend off the aggressor. All they have is wimpy little clumps of units that are basically useless for anything but raiding.
  17. icycalm

18. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

I think if you look at PAG's play style on their home system, it kinda felt like we were playing against a single super strong player. They had a really cohesive plan and overall strategy that was really strong IMHO.
    nosebreaker likes this.
  19. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

there all just smurfs of @cptconundrum so it would make sense
  20. icycalm

I haven't looked at that game yet. I was up 24 hours yesterday, and I watched the huge match once after, and our match on your system 5 times. But I plan to watch all matches this week at least once.

Still, my point is that the only way to counter a two 5-player megabase strategy is with megabases of your own. Maybe PAG would have done five 2-player megabases, or three 3-player ones, but the point is that this strategy can only be defeated by this strategy, because it is OP (and it is OP because synergy is OP in real life too, so the closer the game approaches to real life, the more useful this strategy becomes).

So maybe PAG would have defeated us on the 10v10 game, but only by adopting quite a bit of our strategy. And they would never be able to defeat YOU (i.e. BRN) if you are using our strategy unless they use the exact same strategy too.

I am more interested in the triumph of my strategy than in my clan's triumph, if it's not already clear.
    Last edited: January 19, 2015