Clan Wars - 4v4 clan league

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, August 24, 2014.

1. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

hmmm with that many smurfs from rlmplaying with gandalf... I might have to start seeing if I can get a spot on the rlm team... then again most of these things are on weekends and I work weekends xD
  2. exodusesports

exodusesports Well-Known Member

Only 24 hours until Team Burning, The Cult and PA Gods face off in what will undoubtedly be six action packed matches as they battle for their position at the top of the league. Make sure you join us as we livestream all the action tomorrow at 1300 UTC.
    Alpha2546, Bsport and mishtakashi like this.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Play next clan wars with PTE balance? :D
    Antiglow and lapsedpacifist like this.
  4. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Looking forward to that!

Also, looking forward even more to season 2. My suggestions for it:

1. Make it a 5v5 league.

2. Allow clans to enter new players over the entire season, since clans are growing all the time. Maybe put a limit to it of say 10 new additions per season, or no limit but also no players switching between clans mid-season. Something along those lines.

3. Maybe start the new season a month or two after the first one ends? I am ambivalent about this. On the one hand, it would be more professional to wait for September. On the other hand, I don't want to wait that long. Or maybe Exodus could fill up the intervening time with a bunch of team-focused tournaments? How about some Clan Wars team-FFA gaiden (side story) like this on a custom server? We can't have games like this done impromptu, someone has to organize them, so how about some 6v6 or 8v8 tournaments to test PA with bigger player numbers and team sizes?
    Last edited: January 16, 2015
  5. icycalm

A more radical idea would be to remove the team size stipulation altogether. It's a "clan war" -- let the clans figure out how large a team they want to field between them. RLM and BRN (the two biggest clans) may want to try a 10v10 between them (on a custom server, and disconnects be damned -- the game is pretty stable now). Or PAG and Promethean may want to try a 1v1 by fielding their two best champions, while VoW and Cult may settle for a 5v5 or 6v6, and newer smaller clans can do 2v2s or 3v3s with us, and between them. This would have the following advantages:

1. More and smaller clans can join too, since there is no requirement to field a 4-player team all the time

2. Far more varied matchups: from 1v1 Achilles vs. Hector "clan champion" fights (but on LARGE home systems, not on puny mirrored planets), to proper wars with many players per team, so that both players and viewers will be excited to see what configuration will be used for the next fixture

3. No reason for a clan to drop out of the season, if its players can't make a fixture. Don't have 4 players for a fixture because someone is on holiday or sick or something? Then arrange with the other clan to play a smaller battle: 3v3 or 2v2 if need be

The team size arrangement will need to be unanimously agreed between the clans, and if agreement can't be reached, Exodus will decide something and its word will be final.

Give it some thought. I am very excited by the idea. All you'd have to do is figure out how to deal with organizing so many fixtures with your limited organizers and caster roster (for the record, I would be more than willing to pay some money for all this: indeed I would advocate clans/players pay a fee to enter the league at all).
  6. Maldor96

Maldor96 Active Member

Taking this idea further a few steps (if you don't mind), we could split the entirety of all of PA Clans into three or four sections: Large, Medium, Small, and/or Intermittent. Large has more people playing from both teams like @icycalm's idea of 10v10. Medium has 4v4 or 5v5 (depending on clan arrangements). Small having teams like they are now 3v3 and 2v2s. Intermittent could range HUGE battles with 20v20 or tiny fights between champions. How are we going to determine clan plays in what league? We don't, each clan can have 1 large team, 1 medium team, 2 small teams and 3 inteemittent teams, you can fill all of the team slots or only have 2 small teams or whatever combination of the above.

Along the same line of reasoning we could have a map of control just like in galactic war (come to think of it, Galactic war should be this way not the way it is now...) where each clan "leader" sends a move to a planet and a battle ensues, if the planet does not have an "active presence" then the invading force battles a AI army half the size of the invading force, If there is a "team" present, then its Invaders vs Defenders, otherwise the planet is captured for the invading team.

Any thoughts on either idea?
    icycalm likes this.
  7. jonasmod

jonasmod Active Member

I personally think that fixed sized teams are better, and that 4v4 is an excellent choice of game size.

Getting some amount of new recruits into clan wars during the season is probably a good idea, particularly if there are a couple of smaller, newer clans joining for season #2. Promethean signed up 18 players for season #1, 8 of which are currently active. If a smaller clan had 10 players leaving the clan wars roster they might have to leave WO for the rest of the season.
    cdrkf and cptconundrum like this.
  8. icycalm

I just came.
  9. icycalm

Another idea that would work well with Maldor's is the idea of a player being "taken up" by a battle elsewhere in the galaxy, so that clans would be forced to use more players instead of having 2-3 champions play in everything. We need to make it beneficial to make use of more players, to bring in the entire roster per clan, instead of the same handful of people.
  10. icycalm

By allowing the occasional 1v1 or 2v2 you ensure that no clan has to leave the season. Otherwise, it is a certainty that as smaller clans join, some of them would end up dropping out due to lack of dedication, etc.
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

When Galactic War was first announced, and subsequently, having some sort of multiplayer and indeed clan-based gameplay was one of the features that had me most excited.

I'd envisaged something similar to the War of the Ring from LOTR the Battle for Middle Earth.

I'm sure it's in the pipeline somewhere in the distant future :)
  12. icycalm

Or we could do both. 4v4 Clan Wars during the season, and Galactic Clan Wars in the off season.
    jonasmod and Maldor96 like this.
  13. Maldor96

Maldor96 Active Member

Implenting some sort of turn system of say 10 minutes per turn might be a good idea of moderating that so that the battle is raging on planet A for 30 minutes but another force is invading a nearby system just starting its attack. That would be 2 teams engaged during any number of turns and them be committed until the battle is finished.
  14. icycalm

I think the coolest thing would be to have situations where, say PAG is shorthanded and has to dispatch Elodea to take on 1v2 or 1v3 Cult's noobs.
  15. icycalm

You could have a huge clan made up of noobs that works with zerg tactics: just tons of noobs flooding an established clan's system. And then the opposite end would be highly selected clans like PAG, and other clans filling up the entire spectrum between these two extremes. That would force huge recruitment drives in the MP lobby by the clans, and more people would get into clan play and voice chat apps.
  16. Maldor96

Maldor96 Active Member

I'm mocking up an example of the map that would be used to coordinate the Galactic war, just as a concept idea of informing the people of what movements that clans have been making for the past few turns where the clans teams are and any battle that are "ongoing". will upload and show it to you all within the next hour
    icycalm likes this.
  17. icycalm

18. exodusesports

Both Promethean and Team Burning have submitted updated systems owing to metal redistribution following recent patches. The window for resubmissions has now closed.
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. exodusesports

20. jonasmod

jonasmod Active Member