Naval Feedback

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tvinita, January 13, 2015.

1. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

torpedo launchers can be built by all fabbers and do not need a lot of depth. one torpedo launcher paired with radar can defend very effectively.
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

In the old days we used guardians or punishers for that task... good days... :)
  3. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

And you get your extremely vulnerable fabber to the shore and sit it there long enough to build a torpedo launcher... how exactly?

And yes, again, you should have scouted and set up defences in advance, but no one's a perfect player and it seems silly that there's no way to repel naval from land without massive air dominance or inordinate pelter spam.
    drboggles, ace63 and jonasmod like this.
  4. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

If you think about it, its really no different than a land battle.

If you didn't build up a decent enough land force and get attacked, you're not going to be able to push them back.

Its more of a problem with the fact that naval has a decent reach on land. However, If you just build farther from the water, I dont see this as being too much of a problem considering that you can just get some Pelters up to cover your shores.

Plus, You REALLY should be scouting out your opponent out at all times of the game,and at some point, realize they're going naval.

Then all you have to do is focus on hurting Eco as much as possible to slow down their production, get some bombers going and hit them back.
    elodea likes this.
  5. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

Not entirely true. If you build most of your structures farther away from the coast, and build more assets towards land, you'll take the land over and have a larger eco control than the team that pushed naval. We've had a couple games like that already.

The only reason it helps to go Naval is because of those 6 metal spots in the middle, which you can just build a pelter to take care of that and deny your enemy Eco.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Naval should have a good reach on land, and the reason is because of its limited mobility. (Being bound to the ocean.)
  7. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

Sorry, I didn't mean that it was a problem gameplay-mechanic wise, so much as I was saying that the situation of the losing side was that the Naval had decent range on shore.
  8. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Actually, it could be really cool if there was a unit transport that acted sort of like a barge, to ferry units from vehicle/bot factories on the water to the shore. Then naval wouldn't have to have such a huge range on land. Though the water version of the land factories would have to somehow be adjusted to allow this. But it'd still be interesting.

Edit: that "actually" is entirely unnecessary. Am I trying to imply that you're in a different reality than the actual one? o_O
    Last edited: January 15, 2015
    sigmud2 and lapsedpacifist like this.
  9. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

Or potentially, why not make it possible to build bridges?

Doesn't have to be complicated, just make it a small structure with a flat platform that you can build in a line just like how we build walls.

I would think that would be easier for Uber to design rather than an amphibious based ship, but I don't program so I wouldn't know.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

This is why I like the idea of a dedicated navy / land crossover unit (in T1, we have lots of options at T2- slammers have torps and blue-hawks pwn even t2 ships pretty hard :)).
    stuart98 likes this.
  11. yokcos700

yokcos700 New Member

EDIT: Never mind.
    Last edited: January 15, 2015
  12. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

A ammo system is already in the game and the player just does not interact with it. e.g. basic & adv bombers, etc. There are two proposals on extended the ammunition system which would make aircraft carrier advantageous to have. (proposals: No.1 and No.2)

For Proposal No.1:

For Proposal No.2:
    tl;dr: strategy-tactics get a buff.;)
    Last edited: January 16, 2015
    nuketf likes this.
  13. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

not shour if anyone said this but...

make naval turn to all turret face the target!
    lokiCML, ace63 and stuart98 like this.
  14. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Salvo, Salvo, Salvo, Salvo, Salvo, etc.
    [​IMG]
    The muzzle blast distorts the ocean surface.
    ArchieBuld, SXX, elodea and 1 other person like this.
  15. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

In my eyes Tier I Naval should become cheaper and more powerful (at least Narwhals and Piranhas) but squishier! Tier II Naval should become more tanky, more ranged and less powerful in return. Oh, and don´t forget: Make them clever! Leviathans are often endlessly rotating their cannons... :(
    ...regarding new units: I´m all in for an Aircraft Carrier, but this should be the naval äquivalent to the unit cannon, as this would be "weapon-fab-crossover"! Naval gates? Well, in opposite to orbital and air gates they do make sense! And they´d be awesome-looking. So a simple YES is my answer! Would also like to have a dedicated ship-killer filled up with torpedos...

BTW: General problem right now: Hornets kill everything naval got---this should be changed!
    This is just clever!
  16. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Edit: wrong thread lol.

But I want to write here again anyway :D

There are some serious problems on both of the current 1v1 naval maps, in that I "thought" I could send units somewhere, but actually the sea is too shallow and they have to go half way around the map. Either the boats need to be able to go in slightly shallower water, or the way the ocean looks needs to be changed.
  17. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I think I'd like light blue to be too shallow and dark blue to be pathable. Simple and easy to figure out. Right now, too shallow is somewhere in the light blue, but I haven't a clue where.
    sigmud2 likes this.
  18. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

there should be a ship that can transport land units
    sigmud2 and goofyz3 like this.
  19. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

better a hovercrafttransport ...
    goofyz3 likes this.
  20. Poddighe

Poddighe Member

* I think the difference between the waters must be clearer.
    sigmud2 likes this.