crashes on imac

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by badfucatus, October 30, 2014.

1. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Hi guys

Just got my new iMac, thought I'd test the beast with a drop of PA. Looks great but keeps randomly crashing. find attached the error log.
    This could be my fault of course, seeing that I brought a new key for the mac on the same account as my PC version. tried an offline game still the same thing happened . I was thinking about helping you out. Im a complete noob on macs this being my first.

Attached Files:

2. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

for example it took me ten minutes just to figure out how to create a pdf file!!
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Nah, the keys won't be the issue. You don't need a new key if you switch OS. You Uber account will function on any OS.

In any case, your Mac certainly looks powerful enough that it shouldn't have any problems running PA. According to the log, PA accessed invalid memory, which would be a bug in PA.

Can you also post the log from ~/Library/Application Support/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/log ? (The ~ stands for your home-directory). I think you need to go to Finder, then from the menu select "Go" -> "Go to folder..." to access those.
    badfucatus likes this.
  4. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

This is all new to me, thanks man.
    I brought it for work, but...you know... hope they find a fix for it, because it runs fantastic just up to the random crashes. Maybe it's the comp telling me to get back to work.
  5. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Still getting crashes since the last patch... lasted longer this time though.
  6. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Just as an update, it seems to be better. Much more stable, although the launcher still keeps crashing, but does not seem to effect gameplay.
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  7. holdeg2

holdeg2 New Member

I haven't picked this up in a while. I've played two Galactic and two Skirmish and have yet to get through a game. Oddly this game was more stable in Alpha... :)

Update, I pulled this from the known issues thread:
    This seems to line up exactly. Too bad that was reported in September....

Attached Files:

Last edited: December 26, 2014
  8. DeathByDenim

Maybe it's an effect on the commander, but that would be kind of odd, since your own commander is visible all the time. Do you get any errors in the PA log files?
    You can find those in ~/Library/Application Support/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/log. Just delete all of the ones that are there already, run a game and make it crash. You can then upload the newly created log file here.
  9. lelchim

lelchim New Member

me i juste can't find this path in the ~Library, i just get in this directory some file.h
  10. DeathByDenim

Ah, sorry. "~" just stands for your home directory. There should be a Library folder in there.
  11. lelchim

lelchim New Member

ho sorry i'm stupid, i wrote "library" but i didn't notice than i should had write "bibliothèque" cause' i'm french, sorry about that.
    In fact i got exactly the same kind of problem than the poster.
    I have macbook air 8GB ram with chipset graphic intel hd 5000
    i'm able to play about 5-10 min in without any lag,
    And each time after my game crash, the most frustrating, it's about don't be able to save(or auto save) a fight in galactic war. those i have to finish the level in less 5min, so i replay something like 5 time the fight.
    But know there to much commander for clean it faster enough, it's really annoying.
    because i have to begin the fight from the start(without able to save).
  12. wondible

wondible Post Master General

PA on OS X is really crashy right now. I often have it crash while the game is idle and I'm looking in another window. I've been trusting in crashupload so far.
    chrisvonsimson and badfucatus like this.
  13. lelchim

lelchim New Member

You can look what error i get here i really don't understand .
    Thanks

Attached Files:

14. lelchim

lelchim New Member

over here the report:

Attached Files:

15. DeathByDenim

Huh, odd. It just cuts off before finishing. At least, there is no crash report mentioned.

The report you sent make me think this may be a race condition due to the crash in a function called parallel_for, but I don't know enough about it to be sure. That's for Uber to figure out I'm afraid. It doesn't look like you can do anything to stop the crashing. Unfortunately, Uber Support won't return until January 5th, I think.
  16. wondible

wondible Post Master General

17. holdeg2

holdeg2 New Member

Thanks!
  18. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Cheers man, yeah I'm getting constant crashes on the launcher, and numerous crashes on the 1v1 ladder. Is there anything we can do to help?
  19. DeathByDenim

Have it crash consistently. A reproducable bug is a solvable bug. :)
    Though I imagine that crash reports as posted by for example lelchim help as well.

Also bugging developers helps sometimes. I think it's only @jorgenpt that does the Mac stuff at the moment?
    badfucatus likes this.
  20. holdeg2

holdeg2 New Member

Figured I'd try out Titans. Music goes choppy five minutes in. The game still doesn't account for the Mac's smooth scrolling out of the box so I fly in and out of planets (would be nice if you couldn't scroll into a planet).

I'm not really interested in finding out what else is wrong with it. Just kind of disappointed. It ran better in Beta.