Unit Cannon aim.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mastermufin, January 9, 2015.

1. mastermufin

mastermufin New Member

Hello there! I was wondering about the unit cannon's abillity to aim and always hit the target directly, now dont get me wrong I love the unit cannon, it's just that it bugs me to no end when im invading a planet to see a constant stream of the drop pods. So I was wondering if there was every going to be a mod/update to make it so they don't have the aim of a god, and instead scatter around the targeted area. Now I don't want to sound rude or demanding by saying this, it was just a question.

Im greatful for your help

-MrMufin (Or mastermufin because MrMufin was taken)
    corteks, kaminfreunde, xankar and 7 others like this.
  2. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

I agree, as long as the possible area isn't too large. maybe a radius of 10 (using the same scale as planet size)
    corteks and tatsujb like this.
  3. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

A radius of 10 is smaller than the footprint of a factory. The first tier factories are roughly 30 x 30 square, the advanced factories are 50 x 50. The Catalysts, the largest unit in the game, is 80 x 150. A radius of 10 is about the size of the advanced bomber, 23 x 9.5.
    xankar, ArchieBuld, tatsujb and 2 others like this.
  4. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with that just for aesthetic reasons.
    radongog and squishypon3 like this.
  5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Why bother if it's only aesthetic?

Radius 165 please.
    Last edited: January 10, 2015
    corteks and aapl2 like this.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You misunderstand, he means he'd like it even just for an aesthetics point of view. (As it looks... unusual to see them hitting the exact same spot every time.
  7. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I'd say a 50r or so area would do fine. Buuut, that's just a quick opinion, I don't know how well it would work, especially with tiny planetoids.
  8. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

I tried giving the cannons weapon a "firing_standard_deviation", but it didn't work :(

For those interested, the firing spread is not the same "scale" as the radius numbers in the game. The default Holkins firing_standard_deviation, for example, is only 2.

I would like to see the unit cannon have random spread. It would help stop landing stuff (mostly Booms) directly onto commanders and anti-nukes being strangely powerful. It would look a lot cooler too.
    corteks and xankar like this.
  9. ndm250

ndm250 New Member

why have a fixed radius? using the area attack command would be ideal. also have a minimum radius of the command.
  10. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

The deviation modifies the firing direction that number of degrees off at random. However you could set that to 180 on the unit cannon and apart from some of them hitting the ground instantly they'd all still hit the exact same location because they're seeking projectiles.
    wondible likes this.
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

What would happen if half the units landed in lava?
  12. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

I think they get teleported to the nearest shore or that is at least what happened when you spawned with comms on lava.
  13. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Well on metal planets they would spontaneously combust if they landed on the top or bottom. Fun Fun Fun.

It's raining dox! Hallelujah!
    xankar likes this.
  14. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Seeing a perfect arc of pods landing on the exact same point looks silly to me.
    corteks and ace63 like this.
  15. donut64

donut64 Member

I'd like for about radius 150-200 with a statistical tendency to land away from the center (gradient).
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

No dice roll, this is supposed to be a game with simulated projectiles. :p
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

18. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

And then we all get PA, a game that plays great but looks like something from "warzone 2100" era.
  19. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

Also voting for radius 50 for a single unit cannon + the possibility of area attack if several unit cannons are selected (similar to nukes).
  20. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

Well humans were able to land a satellite on a comet. :D