Renderer performance (FPS) relative to your hardware. How smooth is PA for you?

Discussion in 'Videos And Replays!' started by zihuatanejo, January 8, 2015.

1. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I've started recording games using OBS and the other night I noticed my client's FPS dropped significantly. This never really happens, I usually seem to get a solid 60fps and it never drops. Certainly it never drops noticeably. I run at 1920x1080, with all settings set to low/off except for virtual texture, which is set to high. Quick experiement with texture quality on low showed, unsurprisingly, little difference to my FPS.

My basic spec: i7-2600K @ 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX760.

I realise that recording a video whilst playing a game is going to put a fair bit of extra load on the graphics card, shunting from RAM to the HDD the whole time. I only notice slowdown in big games, 8+ players etc.. it wouldn't surprise me if i just need a better graphics card for those kinds of game, but I wanted to post a thread asking for people's experiences and getting people to share their hardware spec and performance in-game, so we can compare etc.

And yes, my graphics drivers are up-to-date ;)
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Use quick sync encoder or dedicated HDMI capture card.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Does sandy have quick sync?

My experience is similar to yours, though I notice planet type can really effect fps. I play 1080p native with high textures, medium lights and shadows and hdr but no aa or ao. On maps without trees performance is 80+ fps at game start and usually holds above 30. Lots of trees really appears to hurt the frame rate, dropping to under 20 if tio many fires brake out.

edit: Rest of specs: fx8320 cpu, 8gb ram.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Btw @zihuatanejo I'm glad you posted this. I was concerned I was getting lowered performance due to using AMD platform, however if your having to run low settings on an i7 and gtx 760 (the equivalent card to mine) to maintain higher fps then that's just how the game plays :p

It's odd really as pa scales down so well (my 1st gen i5 laptop- dual core with ht- and a lowly gt420m gpu runs pa fine on minimum settings at 768p).
  5. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, I should be clear - I can run PA with all of the settings bumped up to max with no problem (although I don't bother with AA). However, because I was noticing this intermittent drop in FPS, I decided to bump some settings down that I could live with out (can barely tell the difference anyway, because you are zoomed out to icon level most of the time), just in case it helped. It probably doesn't, but whatever :) T'is all about the gameplay, not the graphics!

I will try and do some more thorough tests to figure out what is going on, but I reckon it might well just be the strain of recording at the same time as rendering. @ZaphodX and @wpmarshall probably have better graphics cards...? Would appreciate your input guys!