Want to invite all HoMM3 fans to test VCMI

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by SXX, December 28, 2014.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Hi everyone! If there any fans of classic Heroes 3 game I'm want invite you to check the VCMI. Recently there was announce of "HD" version so I think some of you might remember that old, but nice game and might be someone want to play it again. ;)

VCMI is Heroes 3 engine reimplementation with following nice features:
    • Fully open source licensed under GPLv2.
      Written in C++ using Boost, SDL2, fuzzylite (AI), FFmpeg (video), Qt (launcher)
    • Cross-platform: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android
    • Advanced mods support out of box and scripting support in future.
    • Native support for high resolutions and GUI improvements.
    • Launcher for mod installation and updates.
    • Optional WoG (In the Wake of Gods) features is available.
    At moment most of Heroes 3 SoD features is implemented and VCMI is fully playable. Though you may met some bugs and crashes, but with saves it's shouldn't be a problem. Of course VCMI is require Heroes 3 Complete / Shadow of Death data to work so you can use old CD or GOG version.

Useful links:
    Any help with testing, spreading the word and development is appreciated.
    Last edited: March 13, 2015
    maxpowerz likes this.
  2. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I still play HoMM3 every so often with buddy of mine, I'll show him this and try it out.

Any chance this'll come with Forge? Or if not, has anybody added Forge to it?
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

VCMI itself is engine only so it's not include any assets of original game and not change gameplay mechanics of original game except some obvious bugs fixes and improvements for GUI.

There is mods that introduce Forge and few other towns:
    http://wiki.vcmi.eu/index.php?title=Mod_list

Though it's not marked as compatible with 0.97, but I just tried it with latest 0.97 git and it's works:
    2.png 1.png 3.png 4.png
    Personally I also tried "Bastion" which looks absolutely awesome, but for now it's only available in Polish which I not understand. Though they're planning appropriate release in English soon.
    Last edited: January 7, 2015
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i rather just play the original or the latest one ... seriously i take every game with hd in name with a spoon of salt ...
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm have same feeling, but as long as it's brings new players to the old game it's doesn't sounds that bad. I think this may bring more players and developers to VCMI so it's sounds good for me.

At moment one of main reasons why I decide to participate development of this project it's because I'm really want H3 engine with simultaneous turns. This would let me play it with friends more often. I think many H3 fans want same feature so eventually it's will be better than original at least for them. :)