Moving On Up - Improving Planetary Annihilation's Ranking System

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by exodusesports, January 5, 2015.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'd say it certainly should be considered, as it's likely to be reflective of the player's skill at least to some degree, but it certainly isn't the be-all-and-end-all.
    lokiCML and cptconundrum like this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no but common we all agree old ladder is best ladder.

nobody likes current ladder better. (I got top rank for a week with it and you don't see me defending it)

so why all this talk of subjectivity?
  3. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Yes please. Everything. Profiles, Seasons and whatever, I like all of it.
    reptarking, rivii and cptconundrum like this.
  4. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I think the ladder isn't really as important as balance, bugs, and more important gameplay features
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I completely agree with everything in that article regarding making the ladder better, and the player profile is something I'd most look forward to.

Uber if you read this article, PA has the potential to have one of the best ladders and matchmaking systems in the history of RTS games.
  6. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Which is why Glicko/TrueSkill-type systems are a measure of relative strength rather than absolute strength.
    reptarking, Quitch and cptconundrum like this.
  7. tatsujb

ugh
    do not do that.
    don't put Glicko and Trueskill together like that.

whatever Uber put in Glicko it is far FAR from trueskill.
  8. theseeker2

As mentioned in the multiplayer thread, 90% of games logged prior to offline server were single player. Ladder had absolutely NO place getting priority over galactic war and gameplay features.
    lokiCML likes this.
  9. tatsujb

those stats are long gone.

check now.
  10. theseeker2

Probably hasn't changed much, but we can't know because a lot of those single player games aren't logged on uber's servers anymore, again, as stated in the multiplayer thread.
    cptconundrum and lokiCML like this.
  11. lokiCML

In 1v1 they act very similar to one another because Trueskill it's an enhancement and a extension upon Glicko. The only benefits of Trueskill is able to handle draws, free-for-all, and team games with limitations.
    http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/trueskill/faq.aspx
  12. sebovzeoueb

sebovzeoueb Active Member

Great article, and I agree that StarCraft 2's ladder is great, in spite of the hate the game may get around here sometimes. It's pretty much the only game I have played competitively (as in ranked) a decent amount, and I think a lot of that is due to the fact that Blizzard are good at making things fun. I'll even go as far as to say that it doesn't really matter how technically good the ranking system is so long as it is fun, and I agree with the idea that it is more a tool for getting fair-ish games than an accurate rank compared to other players. The main reason I play ranked is to not get stomped too badly or play too many boring noobstomp games. But the sense of progression is also a big factor, but it's more about the overall progression than my precise rank, a way to gauge that I'm getting better (or worse) at the game.
  13. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Uber locked at 1 100 person division would be good. After that all divisions broken into 3 levels I think is good. We don't have player base to do 5 imo. And then just scale up how many leagues there are in each level of each division based off number of players
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

how do divisions work? considering how many silver players there currently are would the number of divisions rise accordingly or would there be a fixed number?
    Last edited: January 6, 2015
  15. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

You'd automatically create new divisions as needed.
  16. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Wowsers. Nice one quitch. Really well done
    squishypon3 and reptarking like this.
  17. sechastain

sechastain Member

18. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

What about a score in Uber rank, similar to LoL's Challenger score system thingy?
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Most likely just now getting out of break. :)
  20. lokiCML

For rating decay:

"I implemented a variation on Glicko/Trueskill for a different game and found it possible to account for inactivity by increasing sigma (RD in this system) by a tiny amount for everyone every day. Since the rank is (mu - 3*sigma), increasing sigma will decrease the rank steadily. Through experimentation, it showed the league was slightly more accurate using this method, and it keeps inactive people off the top of the league."

- Ksevio
    Last edited: January 7, 2015
    Bsport, crizmess and cdrkf like this.