"Total Annihilation" rights are being sold!!!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Daddie, May 23, 2013.

1. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

That's what I'm mainly hoping for. It's long overdue, and the remainder of the mod community would have a blast with it.
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I doubt it will happen unless someone clueful gets the rights. I suppose we'll see.
  3. neutrino

I doubt it will happen unless someone clueful gets the rights. I suppose we'll see.
  4. japporo

japporo Active Member

A Kickstarter could work. Offering up an Arm or Core commander for PA plus a map pack of classic TA maps updated for PA as pledge rewards along with the promise of opening the TA code if the goal is met would probably be enough to raise $250k. If nothing else, the attempt would bring a fair amount of publicity.
  5. neutrino

There are numerous issues with it though.

For example what if we bid $250k and we don't get it. Does anyone seriously think it's going for the minimum when Homeworld went for $1.3M?

Now imagine the case where we do a KS and raises more than $250k. We've just telegraphed our bid to the competition. That seems like a problem.

Fundamentally an auction has uncertainty so I'm not sure ks would even allow us to do that.

The only thing that I could really make work in my head from an overall perspective would basically be a PA followup kickstarter where we earmark some (unknown) portion of the proceeds for our bid. If the bid fails people still get their PA stuff and we put that money into PA. Seems hard to position well to me though.
  6. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I wonder if wargaming.net is going to bid to get it back to Chris?
  7. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

With the "one new project" that Chris is working on, I think Wargaming want him to concentrate on this "mmo rpg free to play(I bet it will be something like"Dungeon Siege Online")".
    So, no Supreme Commander 3 or TA2. :cry:
  8. japporo

japporo Active Member

I'm just guessing but I'd think that there a few things that would give a potential buyer pause:
    • Most RTSes use gameplay mechanics closer to the Starcraft model because of their broader appeal but the TA name carries specific expectations of what the mechanics of what the game would be. Unless they were specifically planning to build a TA-style RTS, the TA name would be something of a liability.
    • The TA name is still strong enough to bring PA to life but, by the same token, any new game made under the TA name would be compared to PA and likely found wanting. In a sense, PA has already mined the value from the TA name by virtue of the specific individuals working on it and what's been shown during the KS and the development process.
    • Gearbox expects to monetize Homeworld in part through modernized re-releases of the past HW games. TA, on the other hand, isn't even out of print yet.

They accepted Team Pixel's KS to raise money to bid (coincidentally) on the Homeworld IP, so that's not insurmountable.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Idk, I think that PA released in a good state especially with the post-release updates and despite what anyone else says.

I also hope that Wargaming doesn't make TA2 into a F2P. Maybe even just make TA on an updated engine to start? Wouldn't hurt me if they collaborated with Uber on the same engine if that were possible and/or allowed.

[​IMG]
  10. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

11. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

$250K!?
    It'd be cheaper to violate copyright laws.
    EDIT: Oh, this thread is considerably older than I thought it would be.
    websterx01 and thetrophysystem like this.
  12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

13. HeadClot

HeadClot Member

There is no way to make an free 2 Play RTS fair. Age of Empires Online proved this...
  14. arseface

arseface Post Master General

All Age of Empires Online proved was that THEY did F2P badly. By that logic pay to play RTS's can't be done right because Warcraft 3 exists. :cool:
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Erm wasn't Warcraft 3 a very good game? .-.
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

*cough*AirMech*cough*
    arseface likes this.
  17. squishypon3

Air mech is not an RTS though, is it? >.>
  18. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Yes, yes it is.
  19. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Warcraft 3 is the worst RTS I have ever played. Granted, I haven't played Age of Empires Online, but I'm willing to bet WC3 would remain a close second.
  20. squishypon3

Yeeeeeah, okay, whatever you say heh.

The moddability alone, man.
    stuart98 likes this.