[WIP][Server] Orbital Warfare Overhaul

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by emraldis, August 13, 2014.

1. Tomasina

Tomasina Member

Thanks!!
  2. Tomasina

Tomasina Member

Just as a note... for archives sake... the path was

%LocalAppData%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\server_mods\com.pa.orbital_warfare_overhaul\pa\units\orbital\delta_v_engine\delta_v_engine.json

I created a simple .cmd file to achieve the change when future updates are released (which I am assuming will overwrite the change):

powershell -Command "(gc '"%LocalAppData%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\server_mods\com.pa.orbital_warfare_overhaul\pa\units\orbital\delta_v_engine\delta_v_engine.json"') -replace '\"power\":\s0.25', '\"power\" 1' | out-file '"%LocalAppData%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\server_mods\com.pa.orbital_warfare_overhaul\pa\units\orbital\delta_v_engine\delta_v_engine.json"'
  3. sirfignewton

sirfignewton New Member

I think Hailfire is a bit to OP, if you rush orbital and build a couple of those you can go in and take out the enemy commander pretty quick. I also noticed that if you give an orbital factory an area command for example area patrol and have orbital fabricators assisting in production, when the ship starts building it sometimes starts patrolling the instant creation starts even though its not done yet, I tried to get a video to show you but of course when I was recording it would not do anything. It only seems to do this when it has orbital fabricators helping it and I have only tested it with the hammer head. I will continue trying to get a demonstration video and I will test it with the other ships.

Also what does RoF stand for, i'm pretty new to PA and RTS in general and i have seen this term in every PA related thing I read, so if someone could tell me what that means that would be nice.
    Last edited: December 31, 2014
  4. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Rate of fire. I'll look into this, it might be worth it to increase the cost of the hailfire.
  5. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

Avengers can take out an unprotected Hailfire pretty quick if you can not get Excaliburs out yet. Also Umbrellas.
    glitchrr36 likes this.
  6. sirfignewton

sirfignewton New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, now I can understand what people are saying the forums
  7. sirfignewton

sirfignewton New Member

So I have been seeing a lot of talk about you guys making a carrier type ship but you guys seem unsure how to go about it. So I had an idea, instead of it like landing and dropping people off how about you do a drop pod sort of thing, you load up a ship with units place the ship were you want it to drop them than push some button and the ship drops the projectiles the unit cannon uses onto the selected spot. I also modeled a possible ship to go with it. This model is still a WIP
    Carrier Ship.png Carrier Ship Top.png I plan on putting the unit cannon projectiles into that open space in the ship and that is were they would launch from. also if someone could send me an obj of the unit cannon projectile that would be awesome, I don't know how to extract it from the PA files

Edit
    I plan on remaking this in 3ds max, this was made in Cinema 4D and the geometry is a nightmare there are lines on top of lines that just seem to be there and I don't know why

Edit
    Completely redoing this, don't like the design and as stated above the geometry is a nightmare. Going to do something a bit more like the Star wars troop transports.
    Last edited: January 3, 2015
  8. sirfignewton

sirfignewton New Member

Here is the WIP redesign of my troop transport idea, works the same as I previously said but just a different model. Troop Transport Top.png
    There is an open cargo hold in the bottom were the unit cannon projectiles would come out of but the server kept rejecting the image so I cant show you
  9. sirfignewton

sirfignewton New Member

Updated images Troop Transport Top.png Troop Transport Bottom.png
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

11. sirfignewton

sirfignewton New Member

Thanks
  12. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

So I've played this mod like a week ago and while I can't say much about the balance it does feel really good. A few points that kinda bothers me are:

• The bluehawks being able to shoot orbital. I find it pretty distracting to move in with my orbitalforce and then to find some bluehawks which are capable of shooting down orbital. I think that it would be better to have a dedicated unit that can shoot orbital.
    • A small nitpicky thingy that I noticed today is the textures of the orbital ships. They don't look smooth at the edges which also makes the shadowing weird I think? How come it gets weird at the edges?

warfare.jpg

Nonetheless I pretty much enjoyed it. Well done!
  13. sirfignewton

sirfignewton New Member

i think that whoever did the textures either made the textures just a bit to small or they are trying to get some older metal effect, not really sure. The shadows have nothing to do with the textures thats just how the game renders the shadows, it also depends on what quality you have your shadows set at in your graphics options.
  14. emraldis

[​IMG]

We have been victorious! Thanks for everyone's amazing support in making us the most downloaded server mod in all of PA history!
  15. Jarquafelmu

Jarquafelmu New Member

Your guys should get with the PA-FX mod team and your mods should have a baby :D that would be awesome!

Btw, loving your mod! It's the reason I play Planetary Annihilation!
    Last edited: January 7, 2015
    wilhelmvx and mgmetal13 like this.
  16. Azarath

Azarath Member

17. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

my current desktop background, [​IMG]

the sxx should replace the default one.
  18. Jarquafelmu

Jarquafelmu New Member

The SXX does replace the default one. The other thing that's similar is the Sentinel and it's a defensive satellite
  19. emraldis

he means in vanilla
    Bsport likes this.
  20. Jarquafelmu

Jarquafelmu New Member

I think it's safe to say that your entire mod should be incorporated into vanilla :)
    sigmud2, Nicb1 and mgmetal13 like this.