'Smurfing' on the ladder... very un sporting!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cdrkf, December 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

...On that note, I should probably play at least one 1v1 game so that there's one more uber player for the rankings.
  2. elodea

elodea Post Master General

You choose to play when you have bad days. A choice i respect, but still one that by nature is voluntary. Other people may not choose to do so. Having 'bad days' doesn't disrupt their 'main account' ranking from how it would otherwise be. They arn't smurfing to directly avoid rank loss, because without the smurf there simply wouldn't be any 'bad day' games played to begin with, and subsequently no point loss.

And if the player has no way of knowing whether he will play bad or good, then the arguement of smurfing to offsheet bad games is moot. What if the player actually ended up having a good day? I don't hear people arguing that these positive results should go to the main account as well, only the bad results.

There are two ways to look at 'deserved'. The first is to simply infer it from the rules and rewards of the system (which no-one really knows), the second is to incorporate outside information into a subjective based definition. All i am saying is that you can't use the second one.
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. darkagentx

darkagentx Member

So for many it's just to keep the games coming regardless of skill disparity because the matchmaking is subject to low player numbers at the high end of the skill curve? I guess the solution, if we need one, has got to be technical. I guess that sorts that out, everyone can go home.

I mean, otherwise I'm completely lost.:p
    websterx01 likes this.
  4. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

If we merge multiple account people I'll give up on ladder tell reset because yaegz will be so far ahead it won't be possible to catch him tell then
  5. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

The word "rude" doesn't even begin to describe your behavior and that of your friends towards me in this thread, and ever since I joined this forum. Even the mods joined in on this, which are again your friends, and very closely related to you, temperamentally, and probably also physiologically.

Still, I wish I could take back every aggressive comment I posted here because it was misguided. You need the top ladder spots and your smurfs far more than cdrkf needs you to act in a sportsmanlike fashion. And for that reason I hope Uber allows you to keep them for as long as you need them.
  6. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

You keep just pulling and recruiting more and more people into my smurf clan. Your bashing of so many people makes me just want to make a clan for next CW so I can win it with a clan full of uber level people in bronze
    jonasmod, elodea and stuart98 like this.
  7. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Oh do get off that cross.
    DeadStretch, cptconundrum and elodea like this.
  8. trialq

trialq Post Master General

You must realise that the aggressive way you write posts causes animosity, hurting whatever argument you're giving? I hesitate to use the word troll, because a few people have left the forums with a similar writing style, and what I believe to be a genuine lack of understanding as to why they got the response they did. A common feeling they felt was that they were picked on, even though from an outside perspective I judged that was not the case.
    DeadStretch, stuart98, Nicb1 and 2 others like this.
  9. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

Some people smurf, some don't, some people care, some don't, some opinions are baseless, some opinions have merrit, some are eloquently written, some not so, all are just opinions. There's nothing anyone can do about it.

Its a new year, can we draw a line under this please and instead have a group hug?

(The troll in me hopes all the top players change their name to Smurf)

Hugs
    websterx01 likes this.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

If your stuck for a game you should try the promethean TS channel. If you want to maintain anonymity use a different name if you must, just tell people your an uber player looking to practice 1 v 1. Lots of decent players I'm sure you'd be made welcome. No point sitting there for an hour I agree.
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Matchmaking exists in this game so that we don't need to check every teamspeak channel whenever we want to play a set of games.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

i'll argue that point.

Im in favour of having account wide scoring for all losses and wins across any manner of accounts.

The results of any ranked game should be counted towards that player, one account or another, losses or wins.

If only to simply keep the purpose of the ranked system in the first place.
  13. elodea

Do that and I just won't bother playing high risk cheese at all, just like i didn't before i got a smurf. No real change here.
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. igncom1

Well to be honest man, what's the point of ranked mode when you don't what to have your lost games recorded just like your won games?

If you don't want to do high risk stratigys because you might lose, then don't play a mode where you are being ranked based on your wins and losses.

That's the whole point of the mode.
  15. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I think most people here really just do not understand the point of matchmaking. We're playing ranked because we want evenly matched games without having to wait for an hour on three different teamspeaks hoping that someone else might be around too. Before matchmaking, finding an even game was a huge task. I understand that there's an ego side of having a public leaderboard, but ego is really the secondary purpose here. A second account that is ranked at whatever skill it plays as is not going to affect the quality of the matchmaking system in any way.
    elodea likes this.
  16. elodea

That's not very fair. I want my lost games to be recorded just like my won games. Like i've already said a few times now, I would simply continue controlling very strictly how many games i potentially lose by playing standard meta. This leaves little room to experiment with new things.

As for playing lots of new things or cheeses in different modes, I would if there was an unranked, but there isn't one.

Customs are hit and miss (mostly miss). Also people can see your name change and generally identify you straight away since your ranked name will update.

*again, the real number of smurfs is incredibly low. This thread is mostly alot of snake in the grass syndrome
  17. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

We all know you work for the dirty capitalist company exodus and you just want to get your account and your smurfs in the top 3 to make shameless free advertisement. After that you will proceed to take over pa and you and exodus will ruin it with your backwater ideology. #conspiracytheory #Rage #communismeforthewin #stalinwasagoodguy #whyiselodeabetterinpathanmecry
  18. igncom1

I understand the point of matchmaking, but do other people understand the point of ranked matchmaking?

That's my point, ranked matchmaking.

And so long as there is only a ranked matchmaking, people shouldn't be playing with multiple accounts, no matter if it doesn't have an effect on the system.

It's against the entire point of ranked mode, matchmaking aside.
  19. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

So what do you propose as a fix then? Since you are displaying so much passion for this issue. Note studio's with bigger budgets, work force and active communities haven't found a good "fix" either.
    mot9001 and cptconundrum like this.
  20. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

All these arguments are understandable but wont change my mind. Most of it sound like smurfs don't care at all about the other perspective (the damage smurfing does to ranked game quality& the ladder quality&matchmaking quality im not gonna write a screenfull of text and numbers) and meanwhile im just waiting for the 1 man top 10 and MAYBE something changes...
    cdrkf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.