'Smurfing' on the ladder... very un sporting!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cdrkf, December 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Top 10 is visible to all.
    Last edited by a moderator: December 31, 2014
    squishypon3 likes this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

One smurf account has less impact on a group of 500 than it does a group of 10, you must know that...

Besides the top ten players are actually quite nice, I can speak with them, I can talk and play with them. It's unlike the people being paid to play starcraft in which I'd never make communication. Heck I'd be open to call many of them my friends!
    cptconundrum likes this.
  3. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Each person's ranking is visible to himself, and that's the only number that matters to them. Which is precisely the number you are falsifying by your unsportsmanlike actions.
    Last edited by a moderator: December 31, 2014
    jamesw100, tackywoolhat and rgiles like this.
  4. squishypon3

Actually most humans care a whole lot more about what others think before what they think of themselves, basic psychology, we're a social creature, we hunger for acceptance and others approval. (Even if we don't want to admit it. :p )

Edit: Sorry about those silly mistakes with the quoting.
    DeadStretch and elodea like this.
  5. icycalm

Well, cdrkf for one doesn't seem to care too much about elodea's approval. All he seems to want is the game to display his true rank. And I'd bet that's also what the vast majority of the players on the ladder want.
  6. icycalm

Or maybe I am wrong and most players do indeed care more about elodea's position than their own. It's a very cynical and contemptuous way to think of people, however, so I prefer to deny it until I have hard evidence in the form of an opinion survey of some kind.
  7. squishypon3

Surely, but I don't think things are as black and white as you attempt to make them seem. Cdrkf can at least comprehend Elodeas point of view, now that doesn't mean he agrees, but that doesn't make either one not empathetic. I can see both points of view, and understand why they feel how they do... I think a good middle ground would be what Brian suggested, no showing of names until after the game.
  8. icycalm

elodea has not shown the slightest sign in this entire thread of empathizing with cdrkf's complaint. In his own words, he doesn't see "what all the fuss is about". And it's not just elodea. I am the only person in this thread who is speaking on behalf of the 2,500-plus players whose rankings are being falsified by the smurfs' actions, and who in cdrkf's words are forced to "grind" far more than they should to get back to their true rankings after an encounter with them. Everyone else cares only about the top 10 (or cdrkf about the top 50). I am the only one who cares about the top 2500. cdrkf is by no means more important to me than all those other people.
  9. squishypon3

Honestly I'm having trouble finding what you're fighting for... I could swswear earlier you were on the side of "who cares about smurfs" but I don't know. :S

Well people don't care about one person thinks (unless he's just that famous I guess :p ) they care about what the majority thinks, and if the majority of people think you're cool because you're top ten...well you'll want to be top ten, so you can impress them. :)
    DeadStretch, cptconundrum and elodea like this.
  10. rgiles

rgiles Member

He's fighting for the 2,500 people whose rank is being falsified by cptconundrum and elodea.
  11. squishypon3

You misunderstand, I didn't mean it like that, I can completely understand that.

All I'm saying is I could swear he was on the other side earlier!
  12. tackywoolhat

tackywoolhat New Member

I am a new player and not very good yet, but my position on the ladder is as important to me as elodea's is to him. We both paid the same amount for the game, so I don't see why he should get preferential treatment.
    jamesw100, drz1, cdrkf and 2 others like this.
  13. jeffrobot

jeffrobot Member

As someone struggling to break into platinum, I would be really bummed to bump into elodea's smurf and be dropped twenty places. And even if I don't run into him, he's still pushing me lower than I would be. And if there are ten, twenty, or eventually fifty smurfs? That might keep me out of the bracket entirely.
    jamesw100, drz1, cdrkf and 3 others like this.
  14. squishypon3

Agreed, but I don't really see how he's getting any better treatment than you, this thread is about forming gentleman's rules against smurfs. Or at the very least preventing them from being as much of an issue.
  15. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Here is why the extra account matters more at the top;

Bumping a rank 519 down to rank 520 is a change of 0.19%
    Bumping down a #10 to a #11 is a change of 10%

It's not that we don't care about lower ranked players. It's just that it truly mathematically does not matter. I do see why higher ranked players are bothered by it, but this is more a problem with the system itself than with any individual players like you're trying to make it. I believe that it is a lot more common than you are suggesting. Just because only a few of us have admitted to it doesn't mean that nobody else has extra accounts.

One of my main reasons for buying the second account in the first pace was because of this, actually. If other good players are already playing with fake accounts, they are most likely using the secondary ones when they are having a bad day and only sticking to their main accounts when they know they are at their best. This makes it nearly impossible to beat a good player on their main account since they will be using it only when they are playing better than their average. I felt that I was at a significant disadvantage because I was using my main account even when I wasn't playing very well. Sometimes I just want to be able to play ladder games when I'm not fully awake. I'm not falsifying the rank of that second account; I just play at whatever level I play at on bad days.
    DeadStretch and elodea like this.
  16. squishypon3

Which is why an unranked matchmaking would be nice to have some day. :D
    elodea and cptconundrum like this.
  17. icycalm

You are not falsifying the rank of that second account, you are falsifying the entire ladder under him.
    jamesw100, rgiles and jeffrobot like this.
  18. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

What about an option to link multiple accounts for laddering purposes so you can only get 1 of them on the leaderboard but you can have an alt account that can play ladder for your main with a different name but plays for like half the points or something like that? Also i think the enemy must see that it is a smurf he fights and its gonna be half points before he accepts.

Oh and i think its obvious all the persons with 1 account deserve a better idea of their standing on the ladder so lets try to think of something.
    jeffrobot likes this.
  19. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Quitch, squishypon3 and cptconundrum like this.
  20. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

This is because the obvious other solution is the problem itself. Smurfing, im not pointing fingers here. SMURFS!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.