Cannot start mission

Discussion in 'Support!' started by umbralreaver, August 3, 2014.

1. umbralreaver

umbralreaver New Member

I used to be able to play PA smoothly, with no issues at all. I stopped playing shortly after the galactic war release, and just came back to it recently.

Now I can't load a mission at all. It goes into loading the system, which takes about 20 minutes, then the game blinks in and out of focus for a while and CPU usage drops to near zero while memory use shoots to maximum. Eventually (half an hour to an hour later) I see a badly rendered fragment of the planet with a commander with no textures standing there. I can't do anything, and I get warnings that I'm out of metal and energy.
  2. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

We'll need more information, especially about your system specs, to analyze the problem. Please upload your DxDiag; see my signature for a small how-to.
  3. umbralreaver

umbralreaver New Member

DxDiag output attached.

It is important to note that it worked perfectly before and now does not work at all. This is a big problem.

Attached Files:

4. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Hello,

It seems you have an outdated graphics driver:

Code:
    Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    Driver Version: 14.100.0.0
    Driver Date/Size: 4/18/2014 14:42:54, 1343272 bytes
    You may want to download the latest beta drivers from the AMD website. The game, whenever it updates, may introduce new graphics changes that require newer drivers.

Additionally, you may want to upgrade your RAM:

Code:
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
    4GB is enough for single planet systems, but not for multi-planet systems. 6-8GB of RAM or more is HIGHLY recommended for systems with multiple planets. This may explain why your memory usage increases to maximum during load.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

You may want to try updating your graphics driver but it isn't *that* out of date. I have a similar machine to yours and ram is a problem, although you can probably play on 3 or 4 smallish planets ok. It does take a while to load though as with 4gb ram it relies heavily on the hdd.

One thing that might help- go into settings before opening a game and reduce the texture setting as low as it will go. The planet textures are a large part of what uses up so much memory.

Ideally in the long run you really do need 8gb of ram for this game. I have an i5 laptop (first gen) which is only dual core with a very basic graphics card (gt 420m) yet it actually runs PA better than my desktop (Phenom II, 4gb ram and GTX 560) for this reason. Another thing I have found on my desktop machine is that closing any additional application before launching PA really helps. Every additional MB you free up is another that doesn't have to be added to the page file.
  6. Johnatomy

Johnatomy New Member

I have crashes on mission start. I have never been able to play this game. I have over 8gb of ram and my set up passed the test on systemrequirementslab.com However it still crashes. I will include the report. I already checked my video driver and Directx. Everything seems to be peachy.

Attached Files:

7. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It seems you local server is crashing. Could you try turning the local server off in [SETTINGS] -> [SERVER] and see if it still happens? This means your game will be on Uber's servers, so you will require an internet connection, but it's helpful for diagnosing in any case.