Basic Combat Fabbers Build Walls?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by sechastain, December 27, 2014.

1. sechastain

sechastain Member

I know they can't right now. But the advanced combat fabbers can, along with other defensive structures.

It'd be awesome, though, if the basic combat fabber could build walls. It's not a point defense solution so much as a hardening of a line (during an offensive push and/or a defensive stand).

I think it would make the basic combat fabber much more worth the build. It would make early offensive pushes much more interesting, and it would make it easier to build defensive lines in response to offensive pushes.

Thoughts?
    philoscience and mot9001 like this.
  2. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

I think combat fabbers need:
    Price decrease.

Anything else should come after these things are affordable. It's a very very situational unit to cost this much (600 and 6000 if I recall correctly).
    Then, when we can use it more, other changes might come (walls, not useless mines, longer range, slight health increase, etc.)

But, walls, yes, I like.
    mjshorty likes this.
  3. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

Yes. And remove that ability from the comm and the basic fabbers. It will finally give the combat fabber a role. And for fucks sake, remove the advanced combat fabber. its so pointless.
  4. julien119

julien119 Member

With the unit cannon it can get a teleporter up faster than anything else and keep a small task force alive better than anything. Completely worth the 6000 metal.

and yeah walls would be nice.
    Nicb1 and philoscience like this.
  5. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Yes. Decrease the price and give them the ability to build walls. Also make land mines invisible unless you have a minesweeper building or bot. Maybe a t1 'Intel bot' with radar and minesweeping, using the old AA bot model updated. Or give minesweeping to the t1 combat fab.
    sechastain likes this.
  6. sechastain

sechastain Member

I kinda like the minesweeping idea. To work with it a bit further:

Make T1 and T2 combat fabbers the only way to detect mines.

Give all fabbers the ability to reclaim mines.

Make T2 combat fabbers the only way to construct mines ... OR ... Give T2 Combat Fabbers a mine that detonates with a far greater radius and far greater power.

Also provide a couple of different triggering states for mines, including manual detonation.
  7. philoscience

paging @tvinita as I think this thread has some very constructive ideas for improving the combat fabbers, which is really needed!
  8. endless24

endless24 Member

This is an awesome idea. Walls are amazing but hard to build near enemy troops without getting the comm involved.
  9. philoscience

By the way combat fabbers now build walls in the PTE and it is AWESOME.
    elodea likes this.
  10. elodea

elodea Post Master General

I wish they would change the combat fabber selection type from combat to fabber. It's really just more practical this way given the way combat fabbers are used.

No-one uses them to repair as staple combat medics, and never will due to the variable and sometimes high metal cost per hp of most units.
  11. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

I agree with giving combat fabbers the ability to build walls. In fact, I think they should be the fastest at building walls, even moreso than commanders.

On top of that, make mines invisible to radar, and make only combat fabbers able to see them within a certain radius, or give that role to the scout.

you now have a really good reason to build combat fabbers.
  12. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Dear lord, play the PTE already people, you get to test all of todays suggestions
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Honestly I just think their role needs to be refined some more, combat fabs need a buff in a certain way and a nerf in another. I definitely believe they need more health, or a lower metal cost. As they're ridiculously expensive and risky to use. 950+ metal I believe?
  14. elodea

elodea Post Master General

they are 720 in stable, and 250 in pte :)
    stuart98 and squishypon3 like this.
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

250? Ooh! (I apologize for my skewed number, I haven't played in a month at least due to moving, so it was guesswork :p )
    elodea likes this.
  16. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

combat fabber changes are live, whaddya think? Oh my god clearing forests is actually a possible task now. Combat fabbers actually can strike unprotected enemy buildings quite easily since they default to reclaiming enemy buildings on right click. They're everything I wanted them to be and more. I think they could even take out a commander given enough of them at once piled on top of each other, and not hit by an ubershot. They're still squishy and doing anything offensive with them is micro heavy, but the fact those options are there helps a lot.

Oh and rings of walls everywhere. Such amaze.
  17. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

I would really like it if combat fabbers used their lathes as the default weapon, so ordering them to attack would make them go reclaim.

You have walls? Not anymore. Where those infernos? Well, now my factories are turning them into dox.
  18. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

I almost like them as micro heavy unit to do things it wasn't really built for. Despite being a combat fabber, its role isn't really combat.
  19. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

At 250 metal, there's really no reason not to have at least 1 or 2 mixed in with your tank armies. Also the ability to quickly throw up walls anywhere is super useful. Also I actually used mines in a game today. Wow.
  20. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

I unit cannon'd an advanced combat fabber onto enemy territory so I could Super throw up walls and turrets 64. Enemy bombers probably didn't expect to run into a boatload of missile turrets by the time I was done and it held quite a while against an absurd computer.