T2 - What's really going on here?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by killerkiwijuice, December 16, 2014.

1. theredstone

theredstone New Member

Broodlord, Broodlord, Broodlord, Wrote it 1000 times on my whiteboard. :) I am pretty sure once some top player get successful with sneaking in T2 it will very soon become the dominant meta game. Almost all stats show that even top players waste a significant ammount of energy within the first 10 minutes of the game and that energy can be used to get a boost build for T2 and energy seems to be the limiting factor in this case. Mix in some shellers into your t1 mass tank and the opponent will have a terrible time.
    Sure it will always be a risk but thats what scouting is for. I have no doubt at all that meta game will shift. And nice to read that there is at least one person out there thinking similar.
  2. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

Thank you again, that's exactly it!

If people notice how much income they're wasting then definitely the fault is theirs for not trying to transition up at all.

It's got nothing to do with "not cost effective" or "not viable" it's simply they haven't given any/much attention to properly trying to accomplish it. It's not like it'll be pulled off perfect first go.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. cybrankrogoth

Not quite... what I was thinking of............ Or rather, where the hell did you find those images?
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Google, they are broodlords from space hulk.
  6. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

That just means everyone runs around with a single T2 fabber and a bunch of T1 fabbers assisting it.
    igncom1 likes this.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The alternative is everyone deletes all their t1 engineers asap after they get t2.
    I probably just played too much FA, but I like t1 engineers following t2 engineers around more.
  8. cybrankrogoth

I'd have to agree there, although really when it gets to it, i tend to put basic fabbers on patrol, or tell them to reclaim or some mundane task.

By efficiency, it's just down to energy cost. Purely as a conceptual thing, I'd have thought advanced fabricators. If I put it that way instead of "t2" and "t1"; wouldn't you think that more advanced technology is the better option in everything?

To translate to the game, I'd imagine then per metal construction rate, pound for pound advanced fabricators consume less energy compared to basic fabricators when building the same thing.
  9. osun

osun New Member

Not even to mention that possible strategic moves are predestined to be few and for like 99% decided before the game, as whoever performs his BO actions and reacts slower always loses if the game is competitive by any means.

Watching any decent player's FA first person videos will give a solid idea :D
    Last edited: February 20, 2015
  10. osun

osun New Member

LOL, that's mostly exactly the same I wrote in the earlier post before reading this.

To somehow redeem the optimistic atmosphere, I must mention, that all the humans basically do simple things for the short period of time before they die. As the situation when one considers himself doing complicated things, generally means that he doesn't actually understand what he is doing. So, might be there is not that much wrong with RTS games.
  11. DalekDan

DalekDan Active Member

There is an argument against flat balanced t1 and t2 units i don't think anyone has brought up, recently if ever; the cost of an extra factory (even if its made stupidly cheap) necessitates that the units built by it need to be inherently more useful, because cost/time, and specialized units...aren't. Its like boutique stuff, it gets used/worn or whatever maybe once. Specialized units are even worse because they are niche and are only viable for use if A or B happens, or A+B etc... I know this has been people's pet thing since forever but it really doesn't make any sense; give me an example of a game that had such, and how fun that game was. The only flat balanced strategy game i know of is M.A.X. a turn-based 4x on ground and that only worked because there were no tiers whatever factory was built could build all units of that type, light, heavy, air etc... Add an extra factory that is essentially the same but builds different units that are technically the same (ie vehicles) and the whole thing gets unnecessarily silly. Then there is the fun factor in heavier/advanced units wreaking lesser units; this shouldn't need to be explained its been this way since the Mammoth Tank, the obelisk of light, the Goliath, the Krogoth and the Monkey Lord and others in a long glorious line of variously well or not balanced strategy games. That said, I'm willing to try various mods out, whose is up to date and good to go as of now taking into account whats been added recently?
    Schemya and Tripod27 like this.
  12. cybrankrogoth

I actually have a mental policy against advertising, to the point i refuse to wear clothes if they are branded visually.

However, there's a server mod called..... real world logical changes? It's not for everyone, but it's reminiscent of totala and games before strict separation of unit types.. I'm not sure I explained it well but it's worth checking out.

and orbital warfare overhaul mod; Purpose built purpose design role centric orbital gameplay.
    Simple and functional. But I can bet it wasn't easy to design, for all the simplicity of choice. It's something I refuse to play without.