[REQ] Effect Made, Some1 Make a Team-Colored Sphere?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by thetrophysystem, December 20, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

For a bubble shield, someone needs to make a transparent team-colored sphere. Would someone mind doing that? Please and thank you.
  2. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

I'm on mobile for 2 weeks so I won't be of much help, but you could use the commander landing effect as a base and make some tuning.
    • Isolate the spherical effect
    • Remove the white effect (texture ? Can't recall).
    • Play with alpha value to make it more transparent
    • Team color
    • Always active (or better, use the new "type" : "energy" if you plan to have an energy toggle)
    I think @Alpha2546 even transformed it from an half sphere to a full one for Cplosion mod (maybe it's originally a sphere, but we can't see the part under the ground, and he just used a offsetZ)
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  3. thetrophysystem

Thanks for the advice. I will check out cplosion but it will take me a week. Anyone that can beat me to it, please do.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Take a look at the new radar effects. T1 radar has a dot on the tip of the antennae that could be scaled up.
  5. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I'll look it up this weekend. I've got an idea which probably will work.
  6. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

The dot on the radar aren't spheres, just simple circle textures. It's based on the effect I did for the Catalyst.

The various nuke effects and the commander landing (which I believe is where the Cplosion effect comes from) have real spheres.
  7. Alpha2546

Got it. Sideview
    shield1.png
    normal topdown view
    shield2.png

Download the zip and hook the pfx file to the bone_root of a unit. Use the "energy" type to make it go off when there ain't power. You can rescale the effect with the property "sizeX".

CPlosion effect is indeed a resized commander landing :) . Btw got a question. How can you create a constant effect? Right now the shield uses the emissionrate property and a lifetime of 1.00001 (or something like it). You can still see some really quick flickers of the effect going on and off. Is there a way to make it perfectly seamless?
    Last edited: December 21, 2014
    xankar, vackillers, Remy561 and 9 others like this.
  8. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

The emission rate and particle lifetime rate not being in perfect sync is something that's been bothering me for a while. I actually think I figured out why recently, but I don't have a fix for it yet.

The technique I use is to set the emissionRate to 600 and maxParticles to 1. In some cases where I want to ensure the looping of several effects stay in sync I'll set the particle lifetime to 0 (yes, zero) or a very small number like 0.02 and animate the color on the emitter instead of the particle (outside the "spec"). Look at the lights on the new radar for effects for an example.

It might seem wasteful to emit 600 particles per second, but the maxParticles of 1 means the emit rate is really 1 if there are no particles or zero if there is and the 600 just ensures it'll always emit one as soon as none exists.
    Remy561, Fr33Lancer, stuart98 and 3 others like this.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Wow.. That is just- god tier man, thanks a lot. :)

@tHeTrOpHySyStEm You need a CAD Artist? ;)
    thetrophysystem and Alpha2546 like this.
  10. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

So now to make this thing an actual shield in-game, we would need an anti_entity parameter for all ammo types for it to block shots. Everything else is possible AFAIK, effective shield radius can be set by maximum range, and then you could edit the yaw and pitch rates to be something crazy.

Uber pls.
    philoscience likes this.
  11. squishypon3

Yep, Trophy has already done so. :p
  12. Alpha2546

Thanks for the quick response. Tried it out and it doesn't flicker anymore. You rock @bgolus !

Attached Files:

vackillers likes this.
  13. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Okay, So i already have the unit made, when I get time this week I will properly balance the unit, maybe create a T2 version, and attach/tweak the effect and release the mod, should probably be done before christmas, and If I am the first person to release it I will credit everyone involved
  14. thetrophysystem

@Corang did the work. I just noted that I did some interesting research on how to get anti-entity to work on just about every projectile. He is the one that actually made the unit, as I have been to busy to make the unit/effect.

Which both seem to have turned out better than I could have solo'd.

Anyway, congrads. Also, something else I thought about @Corang , is there a way to make a "min range" so that it doesn't shoot projectiles from units already within the barrier? I could swear there is in fact a "min range" as well as "max range" but I have been sleepy lately lol.
  15. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

hmmm, not sure, I'm at school right now, but I will look when I get home
  16. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

There is a min range. Check pelter hojkins leviathan probably in one of there weapons
  17. squishypon3

No way, are you sure? When did they implement that?! =o
  18. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I believe it's there if I can remember right. And it would be in one of those
  19. thetrophysystem

I was unable to find it in those, but was sure there was one.

I think it is because those don't use min range. They just do not have a firing arc that matches that trajectory.

The bootleg solution, if min range dont exist, would be to make the "turret", have a yaw precisely measured to be unable to bend down enough to hit anything within 100 units below it (or whatever the range is)
  20. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Nice Job! finally a shield mod