(Solved) 6 gig PA folder clean up help

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bsergent, December 20, 2014.

1. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

Ok, elements in play are pamm, uber launcher version, steam version, pte and stable.

Is my folder supposed to be 6 gig?

I'm win7 x64.

There are nine instances of PA.exe in there. o_O

Steam reports a game size less than 3 gig.

Also, still can't upload images to the forum:
    "there was a problem uploading your file"

[​IMG]

I'd like to trim that down safely. At most I'd like two copies, one steam and one for offline when my net is down. If one instance could do both that would be even better.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
  2. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

Hmm, that does look weird. Easiest way to fix it might be to just delete it and redownload from Steam.
  3. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

Using Moo0 window plus. I was able to determine that when I launch pa via steam it comes from the folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Planetary Annihilation\bin_x64

The steam version has "Armory" greyed out. I want to see if the uber version is the same.

I'm updating the uber launcher version now to see what folder it launches from.

Update:
    It comes from
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Planetary Annihilation\Planetary Annihilation\PTE\bin_x64

And armory works. So I think I'll try to merge these folders and get rid of some of the others.
    Last edited: December 20, 2014
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

6gb? Pa's actually like at most 2gb IIRC... o.o
  5. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

delete everything and re-install, something got fucked up along the way. It shouldn't launch the PTE build either, it should launch stable unless you specify it not to.
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

My PA folder has about 2,2 gb (having a couple of mods installed).
  7. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

I did tell both Uber's and Steam to use PTE.

I moved the uber launcher to the root of the common folder so that it wouldn't make a pa folder in the pa folder, but now it wants to make a PTE folder.

I've copied the guts of the uber folder over the steam contents, I assume I can't force the launcher to use the root PA folder so I'm going to see if I can force steam to use the PTE folder as it's root.

So...

Steam refuses to let me change the folder as well.

The folders are mirrors of each other and both play fine.

The armory being greyed out was a firewall issue. Steam was down briefly, but launching in offline mode it asked me for my playfab login. That enabled armory after I added the relevant exception to tiny wall. Once steam came back up it still worked fine, only now it remembers my playfab login.

I would like the uber launcher to simply use the steam folder, that would consolidate things.

To be able to use the launcher and/or steam it seems I have to have two copies of the game installed despite the fact that the contents of the folders are identical.

Space isn't the reason I care fwiw. I just want to lower the number of variables for future tech support reasons.

I prefer using the steam version for the overlay features.

PAMM was unaffected by all this. It launches the steam version. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Planetary Annihilation\bin_x64)

My latest update window is still empty. I suspected that's a firewall issue also. There are several exes in the folder, anyone know which one fetches that update text?

Confirmed firewall issue, disabling it and relaunching gets me the update text and twitch video spam.
    Last edited: December 20, 2014
  8. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

I think i figured out why its 6 gigs, do you use both steam and the uber launcher?
  9. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

Yup :)
  10. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

do you have pte downloaded in one or both?
  11. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

Steam is set to beta channel and the uber launcher is set to get pte only. As I explained, I've narrowed it down to the two installs, I just wish I could make either uber launcher or steam use each other's folder since they are identical.

Also I'm still trying to work out what I need to unblock to get the update window populated.
  12. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

what you are trying to do is not possible
  13. bsergent

bsergent Active Member