[REL] PA-FX / Moar Effects in PA [75499]

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Fr33Lancer, November 25, 2014.

1. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Good response. I'll enable the mod again and try to come up with some ideas.
  2. Planktum

I prefer the CResources mod for the power gens, mex and storage (except I wish the lights on the storage in the CResources mod pulsed slower, and the mex should light up on the full upward movement, and the power gens should pulse quickly).

The flashing lights in this mod should be removed from factories and definitely the jigs and teleporter. Maybe you could make the green stipes on the factories pulse instead when a factory is active?

I like this mod for the lights on radar though. Maybe you could add an option for people to choose which buildings have the flashing lights?
    Last edited: November 28, 2014
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

That's not really possible ATM and splitting the mod would confuse people.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

There seems to be a bug in PA related to idle fx_offsets and orbital units. When a unit (like the orbital fighter) moves to another planet, the idle fx_offsets that you have created will disappear until the unit arrives at its destination. Then they reappear on the original planet attached to nothing. I'm having the same issue in my Orbital Commanders mod.

PA#4251

@bgolus Is this something that has been noticed before? Is there a way to work around it?
  5. Planktum

Splitting the mod? What do you mean by this?
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The way these modifications work makes it impossible to have a configuration for them ingame.
  7. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Thanks for the input. Though for now I'm not planning to remove the flashy lights on the units you mentioned. I do have some ideas to alter them here and there a bit. If you want then I can send you the files and then you can copy paste the ones you like into your pa folder.

We've mentioned it to @bgolus and this probably is a bug. It isn't a really annoying one though so it'll take some patience before it gets fixed. You might be able to fix this using the move type in the fx offset. It'll reload the fx effect every time you move.

Edit
    Almost forgot to mention it. Gave the jig the explosion update. It should explode like vanilla now
    stuart98, Fr33Lancer and cptconundrum like this.
  8. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

i like this mod but a little less maybe would be more, you know ;)
  9. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone ;)
    I agree that we may have the feeling it's sometimes "too much"

It happens when you (speaking for myself) add effects for buildings one by one and :
    • Do a lot of individual testing, but don't play much normal games lately :rolleyes: (with normal base, etc ...)
    • Put effects on building just for the sake of it (all those unit models with antennas :eek:)
    Fortunately, we can rectify a lot of things (provided we got time ;))

CRessource was taken as a "base" for this mod, so I think the only modifications were the addition of antenna lights (@Alpha2546 to confirm).
    I personally would rather have the texture light showing up on downward movement, when the drill hit / shake the ground.

This seems to be a little extreme.
    There are mainly 2 kind of lights used for factories :
    1. "idle" for position / location
    2. "build" to highlight the fact that there is something under construction
    Which one(s) don't you like ?
    I can understand someone may think that the building ones may be redundant because there are already animations / nanolathe to highlight it. And position one(s) do not serve a specific purpose.

What don't you like about the jigs specifically ?
    I don't mind removing the lights on the teleporter, those were added only because the model has antennas.

That is an idea. But a pulse with an already bright texture may prove difficult to notice.
    I remember @Alpha2546 also mentioned at some point using those chimneys with some kind of smoke effect, but we didn't investigate much further at that time.

I'd love to have some nice settings ala Hotbuild tab to be able to choose on which building you want to have displayed effects, but as said above, this is unlikely to happen with current limitations modding-wise.
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  10. Planktum

The reason I would prefer it at the top of the upward movement, is that to me the end of the upward movement symbolises the end of the extraction cycle, therefore a light showing completion of extraction. :)

Can't remember now, but I think they were lit up like Christmas? I just remember it being too much.

Yes Please. We don't need flashing lights on everything, and things like the teleporter already have a glowing animation when they are active.

The same goes for the factories, they don't really need all the extra flashing lights, and the nanolathe is enough but the pulsing stripes would be also cool to show they are powered on. If you switched power off on the factories it would go dark. Can you not cover up the "already bright texture"?

As above.

I'm not sure about the smoke idea. It would probably look cool, but the industrial look of smoke doesn't really fit if you ask me. Everything in the game is based on electricity, not fossil fuel based construction.

It won't matter if you change this mod to suit my needs :)
    Fr33Lancer and Alpha2546 like this.
  11. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Could this mod add some excessive bloom and maybe particle trails for Halleys? I can imagine the Halley's actually consuming the planet's core to power themselves, so some cooling rock fragments would look quite at home I reckon :D. Thanks either way though, love this mod :)
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Alpha2546 likes this.
  13. Baleur

Baleur Member

The mex light effect is way too big, perhaps even just keep the actual light in the antenna, but remove the ambient huge light splash on the ground. It makes it look like the planet is constantly under attack.
    With only the actual Point light flashing, it would look more akin to the lights slowly pulsating at the top of nearly all skyscrapers in Tokyo, a very very pretty sight.
  14. Alpha2546

This probably is possible and actually a really cool idea. I remember that @Fr33Lancer already fiddled with the halleys colours. Though its not a big priority since halleys aren't builded that often.

Really awesome to see other people using the mod. I also like the flashes on the factory's however I think they should be toned down just a bit ( probably by a slower flash/flicker or resizing the glow). We'll see! Thanks for showing anyways.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll probably be resizing the glow of the flash/flicker to make it a light up a bit less area. I won't remove it cause I really like to see all the flickery lights when checking out a mex field.

Also giving you guys an update with what we're working on. I've created some steady lighting which gives out a nice subtle glow. @Planktum @kryovow I think you'll really dig this way more then what we had before. I think it looks way better.

Upgraded e storage
    4.png

From normal view
    2.png

The teleporter
    5.png

And some experimenting with the ramps of the bot factory. (they glow on and off). Not sure to put this in yet. Also the way to get this done was a lot of work. maybe bgolus has an easier way of creating effects like this.
    1.png

Thanks for the feedback! Its makes the mod only better :) . Almost 800 downloads >.>
    philoscience and Remy561 like this.
  15. Alpha2546

I've put this one temporarely offline. If you have it running then don't be surprised by any weird things happening. We hope to have a new version out tommorow!
  16. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Can we get some PA-FX for the newly released unit cannon? :D
    carn1x likes this.
  17. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

I certainly will try to make some changes tonight if I get time (energy type, unit cannon effect color, maybe a bit more), because I may not have solid access to a computer (that can run PA on top of that) until beginning of January
    xankar likes this.
  18. Alpha2546

I've got an idea for some lighting on the unit cannon. We'll see how it works out.

Anyways update time. We didn't needed to change a lot of things to make it work with the new build thankfully.

So what did we do and whats new?
    • Unit cannon has teamcoloured paticle effects.
    • Turrets have a small glowing effect
    • Teleporter is updated with some added ramp lights
    • The factory's flashy lights have been sized down a bit and they flash a bit slower.
    • Big thanks to @bgolus for giving the extra fx offset type thingy! @Fr33Lancer put it in yesterday and it works like a charm.
    • Storages and adv powerplants now have some moody lights on their antenna's.
    • Still some kinda experimental ramp lights for the bot factory. Curious what you guys think of it.
    So a pretty big update! Again thanks for all (especially @Planktum ) the input and time. Let us know what you like and don't like and we might change it in future updates.

Have fun!
  19. Alpha2546

V2.2 Is up. Updates all the code according to stable changes and puts in @bgolus radar effects cause that looks way more awesome.
    philoscience, Remy561 and xankar like this.
  20. Planktum

Might have to give this mod another go...
    Alpha2546 likes this.