Human Resources is still in our hands (art thread)

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by stonewood1612, October 27, 2014.

1. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

To celebrate my 600th post (not that it really needs celebration:rolleyes:), I sketched one of these walking-gun-tower-things from the HR trailer and I'm posting it here. I plan on drawing a few more HR related things, but not sure when. (also #seewhatididwiththetitle) Towerbot(1.200dpi).png

Unfortunately, I had to scale down the image by a TON. It had to be less than 1mb in order to upload to this forum, it was originally 8mb. And my scanner is also not the greatest. So that's why the quality isn't as good as it was originally. And some of the shadowing (especially on the white areas on the left and right leg and in the middle) just vanished! :( I had to fiddle a bit with the contrast and brightness to get it a little better, hence why the background is slightly grayish.

If you have any other art about HR floating around, feel free to post it here, since there isn't any other place to do so. :)
  2. commanderrage77

commanderrage77 Member

cool cant wait for more
  3. gamer611

gamer611 New Member

Really hoping for more also is human resource urges still going to be a thing or not because über has a page for it so I'm confused someone clarify ?
  4. lolmontoya

lolmontoya Active Member

They didn't raise enough money for it but they might try again later.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  5. stonewood1612

Well, I'm trough the exams, so I might get to making another one very soon.

The first one was a full-size paper, I might consider making smaller ones instead, cos that's my favorite.
  6. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

That one was awesome, you have to continue working on it! :cool:
  7. stonewood1612

Yesterday, I read an article in a local gaming magazine about games who failed their kickstarter. It mentioned HR, and at the end it said "Uber isn't going to give up, and wants to shape the concept of HR in a form that would attract a larger audience".

What could that mean? Could it be true? Do they have a seeecret plan?
  8. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

HR is still an IP with a lot of potential. However, Jon Comes said on a podcast / interview a month or so ago something along the lines of "Human Resources as it appeared in the Kickstarter is dead".

Given the radio silence from a number of Uber people over the last couple of months (ones who I know were definitely not caught up in the layoffs) I'd be far more surprised if they weren't currently working on something HR-related than if they were.
    respite likes this.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

We should make a space combat and trading simulator potato salad Kickstarter and then donate the inevitable billions to Uber so they can make HR.
  10. yokcos700

yokcos700 New Member

Problem is, a lot of people seem to outright hate Uber because Planetary Annihilation didn't live up to their expectations (And apparently SMNC was disappointing as well). That's why, despite this looking about as good as PA, it got much less attention. The comments on the youtube upload of the trailer are pretty much just complaining about PA and SMNC, telling us that we shouldn't trust Uber. I don't think they'll successfully get a kickstarter off the ground in quite some time.

(Even if HR came out and was terrible, I'd still want to play it because of how damn cool it would be)
  11. Matster

Matster Active Member

I agree there is no way that Uber can make a successfull kickstarter long time to come and actually is part of the reason why new game kickstarters are failing. Basically people are saying look at what Uber did - they kickstarted the game, ripped of the people pledging and did not deliver the game promised, bla bla bla and everybody believes them cause normal people don't understand the realities of game development. I actually think now that kickstarter is a bad idea for game development since you have thousands of people breathing behind your neck all the time with their own biased expectations and if you don't deliver what they expect then you more or less loose your reputation like it happened to Uber.
    dreizehn likes this.
  12. Geers

Geers Post Master General

You should Kickstart a book called "Why Kickstarter is Pretty ok and Why You Look Like An Ignorant Asshat When You Complain About Stuff You Don't Fully Understand".

I'd buy that. Hell I'd co-write it.
  13. stonewood1612

You call that awesome already? Wait until you see my next one... I have some plans. That first one was done in about an hour (excluding messing with the digital image). If I work on one for more than a day, then that means something.
    Last edited: January 4, 2015
  14. stonewood1612

And here it is, I call these things 'Snatchers':

Snatcherfixed.png

This time, it's a screenshot of the preview of the scan. For some reason the actual scan is worse than the preview before you make the file on your computer. The image is much smaller (about 700x700 pixels) because I can't get the preview image bigger (there's no zoom for some reason). Anyway, I like this better than the actual scan (which I used for my first image) cos that there is nearly no loss of shadow and greyness. Yay!

Notes:
    I must admit it, I'm bad at drawing humans. They are my worst. Give me anything from vehicles to trees to aliens, but humans are my worst. Also realistic shadows are hard. Well, if you want them right. Here I just kept it simple and I didn't pay much attention to getting the shadows and the perspective correct. The buildings don't look very interesting, on purpose, since they are part of the background. Yet they are ironically in the foreground. I could have added a lot more detail in the background, but I didn't want overcomplicate this scene. The legs of the Snatcher are smaller, and the arms are shorter. That's just to save some space. They larger in the HR trailer, but you won't really notice it too much.

Next up: minis, about the size of how you would see things in the game. (From a bird's perspective)

Happy New Year!!
  15. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

That is absolutely incredible :D Man I wish Uber had at least made some posters for Human Resources. I'd have bought dozens of those. The artwork for the game was so beautiful.
  16. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

@stonewood1612
    I like it, good way to keep HR alive.

If you digitize a lot of your artwork to PNG and are worried about file size you can also use a cool tool I use, PNGGauntlet, which can compress PNG files with zero quality loss. All it does is help to compress repetitive data while keeping the picture bit for bit the same. For your first image I managed to reduce the file down to 87% of the original and for your second image I got it down to 50% of the original, so it can vary by quite a bit. Because picture editing programs already compress pngs by varying amounts, usually lightly.

With PNGGauntlet don't go above level 1 optimization on huge picture or else your computer will spend a good part of an hour on it, while gaining little compared to level 0-1. no spyware/adware / so on

Keep it up :cool:
  17. stonewood1612

Thank you for the recommendation. I'm not worried about file size, I use a different computer (and external harddrive) with a lot of space to store these. Although I don't digitize most of my hand-drawn artwork anyway.

I'll make more HR related works, but I want to do a couple for PA too (since I haven't done any for that game yet) Not sure which will come first.
  18. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

Mostly was talking about when you post your artwork online, especially when there are file size limits.;)
    stonewood1612 likes this.
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Monday Night Combat 3 CONFIRMED! @tiblolan
    dreizehn and respite like this.
  20. nsimpson

nsimpson Uber Alumni

These are beautiful. Nice work, Stonewood!

You never know what the future may hold... ;)