Map Editor Feature Request Thread.

Discussion in 'Mapping and stuff' started by squishypon3, December 9, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Anything you think the map editor needs, put it in this thread.

I know I've created a similar one in the GD, but I think it makes sense to have one here, and no GD threads before this subforums existence are to be moved here. :p

So yeah, what features would you like? I'd love to have a little list of brushes/features to select from... Ooh and if ever possible a scenario editor would be amazing! (Add little bots/factories/tanks/whatever)
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Don't know if it's in there but there needs to be a unit cannon wreckage stamp tool.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The unit cannon is a csg brush. So it is in there.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Ok then an out of order sign placer.
    squishypon3 and cola_colin like this.
  5. Tripax

Tripax Member

Control of the height map! pretty pleeeaaase
    Remy561, Maldor96, reptarking and 5 others like this.
  6. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

above the System editer is a new tab called Map editer when you click it youl get a new set of "tools" the "tools" can make ground rize ground make water lava volcanoes anything! then save it as an template then go into the System editer put it in and vola! you have a planet you made from scratch!
  7. fullestdarklink

fullestdarklink New Member

maby not much as a map suggestion how bout a new sun or the ability to make ur own sun size color witch will cast its own color light or shade the planets with more or less light based on the sun like red giants would cast the whole planet in day or a white dwarf or brown dwarf would cast a planet in complete darkness =3
  8. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Custom placed symmetry plane. Or just a symmetry plane on longitudes.
    Symmetry axis for rotational symmetry.
    Multiple use of symmetry planes/axis
    Last edited: December 11, 2014
  9. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I'd love an upgrade on the spawning system.

• Being able to create your own spawn points.
    • locked spawns. For instance you can choose that army 1 has a couple of specific spawn points and army 2 the other specific spawn points.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  10. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

Don't know if its there already but an option to place custom mountains etc.
  11. bastianforge

bastianforge New Member

I'd like to see a dedicated planet editor so to speak where the star as such would not even be rendered, only global lighting. Sure it would look dull but it should free up resources that can be used for making more awesome planets in my opinion.
    Also clearly marked mirror lines as well as color coded starting points would be nice (haven't tried the newest PTE:s system editor if it has those).

-Bastian Forge
  12. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

CSG brush..... can I place custom csg?
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You can place csg brushes yourself, in the new PTE it's even not that hard anymore, the UI is quickly developing to become useable without cryptic hotkeys.
    If you mean you want to place completely custom csg brushes with your own model and textures: Well in theory yes you can. In practice nobody has tried yet so far. You will need to get the 3D model into the right format, which can be annoying.
  14. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Some minor things I would like to see still:

-A system description field, somewhere you can write a short description of your map for people to see.
    -A "recommended players" setting where you can set the recommended number of players for people to see.
    -An "asymmetry" option when placing brushes in symmetric mode, so when you place that one brush on the equator it doesn't paste itself over a mirror copy if you don't want it to.
    -An advanced brush settings menu where we can change some basic things about that specific brush such as how it bends compared to the equator and pathing and such.

-Possibly more to come as I keep fiddling with the editor.
    silenceoftheclams likes this.
  15. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

You do mean I can select different csg's to what are on the map already I have the problem of only being able to copy paste the ones the game put there for me, I want to be able to cycle through different ones?!!
  16. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Pte has a csg palete.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  17. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Somebody sticky this. Please.:D
  18. timmy1291

timmy1291 New Member

The main thing that annoys me a lot is that I can't access controls in the System Editor, and have to go to the main menu every time i forget one or have to change one.
    stuart98 likes this.
  19. guest1

guest1 Active Member

I've done a fair bit of digging around in the current system editor, and right now there are three really glaring missing features:
    • Control over the heightmap
      • Ideally, we could set the planet heightmap on each of the six faces to a 2D int array or something similar; more elegant controls could be implemented or modded in later
    • Manual feature placement
      • Features are things like metal spots, control points, and trees. Metal points are already handled specifically, but a general way to do this would be nice (reclaimable wreckages, anyone?)
    • Spawns by team
      • If you put four spawns on a planet and play a 2v2, right now there's no way to determine beforehand which spawns will go to which teams.
    Also, an important bug that Uber are already aware of:
    • Naval pathfinding under CSG
      • Naval units can't travel under bridges right now, which rules out many possibilities for interesting maps
    Last edited: January 17, 2015
  20. imperatorurist

imperatorurist Member

Pretty much what Guest said is what the game really needs to excell without being limited by RNG.
    Though one thing to be added would also be a hight map for air so it doesn't stop and need to adjust its hight on some of the sudden changes in hight from some CSGs.