Discussion: Uber's plans for Modding, 1.0 and Beyond

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by KNight, July 22, 2014.

1. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

So instead of some real development of basic needed scripting API and documentation along with public updates and discussion we get pm's sent to a random smattering of forum members? I think the problem with this is self evident.

Also I'm sorry but when we are the ones who financed the development of this game, this is not an issue of "entitlement ". What a stupid thing to say, honestly.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You're the only person I know who's been repeatedly complaining about the modding capabilities, I think the problem with this is evident. ;)

They're a small company, and they have work to do, work to make money. They have priorities, obviously the features that everyone would appreciate are the things they should work on.
    cola_colin and cptconundrum like this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You are free to pay a few extra developers for them who work exclusively on modding.
  4. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

Forget I ever said anything. Continue on being satisfied with your random private messages and total lack of mod development support after launch.

PS. if you think that Uber is more likely to come back to this sort of thing later, you are going to be sadly mistaken. Generally, after the push to launch and immediately post launch, if there is no dev work done on the modding backend, it will NEVER be done.
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I don't claim to speak for all modders, but I can guess at why you are getting pushback here. The vibe amongst modders is not one of "total lack of mod development support" at
    all (Eg, refer to the help Sorian provides in the AI thread). It's not about random private messages - it's abouts devs directly answering issues modders have with their mods - I'll take that over generic simplified & inevitably incomplete docs (and they will be incomplete unless a vast amount of time is committed).

Now no modder would say no to more support in general. But we realise two things:
    1. We are the minority. The vast minority. You mentioned financing the game; if dev effort was proportional to that, then there would be next to no modding support at all - the players who don't mod or use mods far outnumber us. Which means we are already receiving more than our share of focused effort.
    2. When we truly need help, we get it. Yes, they leave much of the day-to-day help in the veteran modders' hands. But that frees them up to spend more time working on the game, and we're glad to help.
    cdrkf and cola_colin like this.