Petition to stop Twitch's unfair muting policy.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by squishypon3, December 8, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Twitch quickly become one of the best, if not the best, streaming website available. This has recently been changed.

Videos playing copyrighted material are muted automatically through software that detects copyrighted music. This is unfair and treats the user like a villain without any proof. We must go back to a system in which videos are muted or removed by humans who can have legitimate judgement.

The issue is... This bot mutes streams that have the stock in game music playing, which is ridiculous... and even worse is at times it can mute a recording that has NO MUSIC PLAYING. Yes, I've had a recording be muted without any music being played, which is completely wrong.

If you think this should change, please sign my petition, as well as tell your friends. :3

https://www.change.org/p/twitch-interactive-stop-auto-muting-videos-on-twitch

Example in which 80% - 90% of a stream was muted, including gameplay that did not have music playing:

http://www.twitch.tv/squishypon3/b/596683176
  2. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Or you could just use hitbox.tv instead.
  3. squishypon3

I can't, Xbox One doesn't support hitbox.tv. :p

Edit: At least not that I know of?
  4. arseface

Well, if you're using a capture device it should.

If it's integrated into the Xbone normally then you're out of luck(unless it gets hacked in).
  5. squishypon3

It's an app for the Xbone that allows streaming through twitch, at the moment and probably for a long while there is no app for hitbox. I guess I could use a capture card... But money. =S

Besides this isn't any excuse for Twitch's unfair policy on muting videos, maybe it'd be okay if it worked correctly, but it doesn't. Muting videos that don't even contain music (In game music or otherwise)
  6. lolmontoya

lolmontoya Active Member

Signed.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  7. squishypon3

Very much appreciated, thank you, hopefully this'll get fixed. :)

Maybe they'll do away with this when Amazon actually owns Twitch?
    lolmontoya likes this.
  8. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Use the new Steam one.

HAIL GABEN.
    Remy561, squishypon3 and tunsel11 like this.
  9. squishypon3

I can only stream my xbone, my PC is generally too slow to stream and play at the same time. :p
    Remy561 likes this.
  10. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Steam ain't on the XBone br0.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  11. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Twitch is too big to not use bots for this kind of job, it's kinda weird how late the automated system was forced on them anyways. Without it they'd need to hire hundreds of employees for the sole purpose of just sitting through EVERYONE'S past broadcasts to not have the copyright owners nagging at them all the time. They're probably improving the system to decrease the amount of the inevitable false positives but considering how the whole video-on-demand system isn't even the main function of the website, I doubt they prioritize it that much.
  12. squishypon3

I'd be surprised if they could ever make a fair system that could differentiate game play music from recorded music being exploited across the streams.
  13. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Actually, muting of ingame music can be legit. In many cases the publisher only licences the music for the game but strictly speaking they don't have the rights to allow you to stream game+music on Twitch or put it on Youtube. It's a bit of an oversight or because some publishers don't care.
  14. squishypon3

I would agree if it only muted menus and such, but I've had experiences where it mutes game play that contains no music whatsoever. They need to either improve it so it works correctly, or get rid of it.
  15. arseface

I don't think you understand the amount of legal pressure they're under to have that system in place.

Look at it from this perspective.

Works on all music and gets some not legit mutes.
    Customers get mad.
    Doesn't work on all music but doesn't mute false positives.
    Lawyers get mad.

Lawyers aren't human, and that's what makes them scarier than customers.
    cola_colin and Geers like this.
  16. Geers

Ohhh copyright law. Look at you, so old and outdated and adorable.
    Nicb1, squishypon3 and cola_colin like this.
  17. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

It treats users like villains . . . I'm not sure you understand the criminal justice system, but Twitch isn't putting anyone on trial ;)

What Twitch is doing is making sure the RIAA or whatever association can't sue them for copyright infringement, because Twitch are legally-responsible for the content the users stream.

They don't need to fix it at all. All they need to do is make sure they can't be completely shut down by the huge soul-killing corporations that run, and by and large, like to ruin, the music industry. You are not being unnecessarily punished here. Work on your sense of perspective.
  18. Geers

Gameplay videos being muted because of the in-game soundtrack is a tad draconian.
    Nicb1 and squishypon3 like this.
  19. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

How would a bot differentiate between in-game music and some media player running in the background? Other than that, the whole music thin isn't new, YouTube has been doing it for years now. It just has some child deceases, but its Twitch's good right in order to sustain a legal position.
  20. squishypon3

That's the point, a bot can't distinguish between in game music and people just playing music and exploiting the streaming software to do so, which is why a bot is unfair to use.

I don't think YouTube's is very effective as I can still easily just look a song up and find it on YouTube, though I know it has a similar system.