PTE Build 76412-pte now live (updated with new build 12/16/14)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, December 5, 2014.

1. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

warrenkc likes this.
  2. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

warrenkc likes this.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Still needs fixed sometime. Not stewing over it, but mentioning it periodically does bring attention to it.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, back when a planet smash killed everything on planet, it was because of this bug and Uber was hesitant to allow better gameplay in light of a graphical bug, and I am glad planet smashes are proportional now despite this bug.

I think all they need to do is allow insert updates to pathing, which would make the crater "unpathable". Right now, pathing doesn't change when terrain changes mid-game, leaving the old surface pathable even through air.
    warrenkc and carn1x like this.
  4. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

It is interesting how the changes in targeting priority has flipped around ground based AA and fighters. It used to be that you in your snipe brought fighters along with your bombers to tank damage from ground based AA. Now that ground AA prioritizes bombers that no longer works. But because fighters now prioritize fighters you still need to bring your own fighters with your bombers to tank damage from enemy fighters. This essentially amounts to a buff for ground based AA vs bomber snipes, and a nerf for fighters vs bomber snipes. This is a good thing. It used to be that fighters were vastly superior to ground based AA as snipe defense. This helps equalize things. I also think it amounts to a net reduction in micro.
    thetrophysystem, warrenkc and carn1x like this.
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I've been thinking about this, and I have a question. Since the dox's top speed is 16 m/s it will accelerate to top speed within 0.11 seconds. This is pretty much unnoticeable to human eyes. This raises the question, @jables, are you guys at uber robots?

Just kidding, what I really want to know, is why even bother having an acceleration higher than 32 m/s^2 which would allow it to reach top speed within .5 seconds.
    Last edited: December 6, 2014
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It feels like these are changed to reduce the superhuman micro bullet dodging ability of the dox.

Rather then to effect it's balance to the normal player.

The turn rate especially shows this.
    carn1x likes this.
  7. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

I know=) But i'am ready talk about it over and over again)
  8. emraldis

I don't see this as a significant enough change to fix that... In stable top speed is reached in 0.08 seconds, in Pte it's only .03 seconds slower. I don't think that makes a difference.
    warrenkc, squishypon3 and cola_colin like this.
  9. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well the acceleration might not, but it turning speed it most certainly will.
  10. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

thetrophysystem likes this.
  11. emraldis

for sure. The turning speed is a big change. That's why I specifically mentioned the acceleration. Maybe I should change that in my OP if I still can.

EDIT: Changed.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Acceleration is what really matters I'd say.

Please guys, give units realistic acceleration times, why have acceleration when acceleration is less than a second? :<

If a unit is about twenty speed a good acceleration might be ten, fifteen. Vehicle acceleration should probably be a bit slow as well. :3
  13. emraldis

BUG: in the system editor, when you load a custom planet that has set symmetrical spawns, then render terrain and gameplay, then edit the number in the spawnpoint size slider, PA crashes.

ALSO BUG: when you do the above, except change the slider size BEFORE rendering planets, it deletes ALL the custom placed CSG brushes. Both kind of annoying.

Also, I haven't gotten "j" to work for deleting spawnpoints.
  14. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

15. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

FINNALLY. I just got a chance to play around with the latest PTE.

For the unit cannon I still think it should be part of a larger orbital revamp. Currently orbital is very basic, and holds little fun apart from being the "sea" between globe shaped islands on the rts map. It's a barrier to stop units from getting from A to B, not much more.

I would love a bit more fun and depth on the solar system level strategy. Giving all these units solar system level range (nuke launcher, teleporter, unit cannon) just keeps it all very basic, and honestly a little lazy. Once they're built, they can reach everywhere. I'd very much prefer for the unit cannon for example to only be able to shoot from planets that orbit eachother/share the same orbit, and give halleys the ability to move planets, or at least smaller ones rather than crashing them. Then just move 'em in, and start throwing troops, which in turn would open them up to counterattacks rather than just things flying in from anywhere in the solar system.

I'd also keep the range of Nukes planet only, and have an orbital nuke launcher that could be sent between planets, loaded up with 1 nuke at a time, and fire from orbit, rather than just firing them off from wherever.

The practice of giving everything full solar system range just takes away what makes PA different from any other RTS' bog standard super weapons and mechanics that reach everything through the map.
    lokiCML likes this.
  16. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

Also: bolos put on planet patrol will stop outside of their weapons range, as it they are attack but nothing is happening.

I have a screen shot of them frozen like this but it won't let me upload it
  17. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

That's really weird. You are sure you are using a T2 fabber? Could you try verifying the files? Maybe something didn't update right.

By the way, you won't be able to post links until you have at least five posts, but you can use the "Upload a File" button to post pics.
  18. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

I can't. Just gives me this worthless error message. "There's been a problem with your upload" or some such and I'm like well no $%^& sherlock, I caught that when the upload didn't happen.

I hate worthless catch-all error messages.
  19. emraldis

BUG: T2 air fabbers cannot build a unit cannon.
  20. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Pretty sure I have this fixed locally. Will know more Monday.
    Remy561 and carn1x like this.