PTE Build 76412-pte now live (updated with new build 12/16/14)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, December 5, 2014.

1. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

FWIW:

My three subcoms land and do nothing consistently. No mods. They typically build one mex and then stand there.
  2. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Why does everyone think you don't have enough time for this? I could bring up the management panel and easily see where my resource drain is coming from. How is that time consuming?
  3. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

@Planktum because time is linear and constant. All actions take time.

/nerd
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Well it uses time to manage stuff by hand that an automatic system could do as well.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Idk, for those that want it, the factual data on fabbers and economy drain and stuff to manage manually would be helpful.

And for those that want something that is smart enough to turn itself off in an economy drain, it should consider if the economy is positive to turn on and "juggle storage". I.E. turning on at half storage and turning back off at 1/10th storage.

This is very manupulative as it technically is something a human can't do, but Colin is right as it shouldn't stay off with full storage just because it would very slowly deplete storage if it was on.

1) The low priority fabbers should stay on as long as the eco drops no less than 90% efficient. Because 90% is barely noticable.
    2) The low priority fabbers should turn off if the eco drops too far, but when the eco starts to rebuild, they should turn back on after their calculated drain would no longer drop efficiency below 90%.

Just for clarity, for economy, that would be -0.1 or something for "metal efficiency requirement" when calculated, no?

Obviously, energy should stay the same.

Actually, allow me to play devil's advocate here: It should be no setting, but an automatic feature that you cannot override, that idles fabbers when 100 are working on 1 nuke for instance, but energy only sustains 20 of them. So, a newbie-tard will literally run 80 fabbers for no benefit but huge energy dump. Honestly, that would be the ideal automation to add to economy. A newbie blanket, to prevent them from ever using 100 fabbers on 1 project when there is no energy for 20 of those fabbers, or when there isn't enough metal for 20 of them. A portion should become idle and not contribute to the point it isn't noticable because they weren't contributing already.

Just something I remember from when I was new.
    Last edited: December 6, 2014
  6. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I will take a look at this again. Is this on Live or PTE?
  7. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Disable all mods, if that solves it, then it's only a matter of figuring out which one it was.

If that doesn't help, install PA-Diag and run it on the game setup screen or during the game, zip the output file and upload it here.
  8. wondible

wondible Post Master General

For a spectator (and yes, joining a running game still doesn't show any units), the menu still says 'Surrender'
  9. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Thanks Captain Obvious!

Of course all actions take time. The question is do you have enough time during a game to focus on a management panel? I believe we do. And you can't just go automate everything just because it takes time (looking at you @cola_colin "Well it uses time to manage stuff by hand that an automatic system could do as well"); because I believe eco management is a big part of this game and I do not like it that people can automate this aspect. We might as well watch a movie if you want to use cola_colin's arguement.

The problem is we don't have enough information at our finger tips (about our eco) to make well informed decisions or the ability to switch off/on eco draining things easily.

Currently I use hotkeys for groups of factories and when I'm running low of eco I can easily switch to these factories and use another hotkey to switch the power off and on. The problem is not having enough information about my eco or army composition etc to efficiently manage which ones I switch off and on.
  10. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

+1 to weird, possibly ineffectual dox changes
    +1 to Torpedo Static buffs. Seriously, they barely kill 1 orca before dying without walled defenses.
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Why must naval beat air when in fact air has a very fair chance against naval in real life even.

Most ships should have weak inaccurate pot shot aa, alongside powerful dedicated aa ships with weak anti ship weapons. But to contract this air also needs a torpedo bomber. :)
  12. squishypon3

Those changes will make their turning a bit slower which helps prevent stutter stepping, but what's the real kicker is the acceleration be it 150 or 200 that's still less than a second. Honestly I don't even understand why the game has acceleration when it isn't used effectively for ANY units.
  13. mered4

That's what I'm getting at. In my experience trying to remove the wiggliness of dox, I had to drop the accel. down to it's speed to get a noticeable effect. I'm willing to try it out though :D
  14. mered4

This isn't real life.

If this was real life we'd be fighting nuclear bunker wars with cruise missile stealth destroyers, stealth fighters, and stealth bombers.

If we go to the WWII era the Annihilation series tends to stick to, you'd be right.

You'd also have a fuel mechanic.

Let's not bring real life into this. Or Statera Naval. pls.

(Nothing against SNaval - you guys did a good job. It just doesn't fit well with how vanilla currently works).
    squishypon3 likes this.
  15. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Short range bombers can do nothing about surface to air missiles used on naval ships today. Most bombs also get destroyed by Phanlax guns anyway before they have time to hit the ship. (just saying ;))

But this is PA, maybe air units are meant to be stronger. Although I would like to have naval be the super weapon class like it is today.
    Planktum likes this.
  16. squishypon3

I'm talking about WW2 which is what most TA-Like games follow. :p
  17. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

True. There was nothing to be done about kamikazes.
  18. squishypon3

But if air isn't a soft counter to ships what is? :<

Air is the only other unit type that can even interact with ships other than other ships (except amphib units I suppose :p )

I just feel it'd be a bit odd giving ships the power to bombard coastlines as well as just eat up air.
  19. squishypon3

Not to mention dive bombers and torpedo bombers, both highly effective at taking out large ships due to the relatively weak AA of the day. Most being simple pot shot aa, sometimes heavier flak; Obviously no missiles. :p
    igncom1 likes this.
  20. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Should we report PTE bugs in the bug tracker? I don't see the version number there so I'm supposing not. Let me know though and I will. For now here's my bug dump:

1. System Editor: Manual landing zone size won't shrink after expanding to maximum (http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/548641657279220366/28E2FA4E9391FBA21DF013DB731438DC5C71C0DF/)

2. Commander trying to path through CSG and failing indefinitely (http://i.imgur.com/YXVXBz2.png)

3. Some UI overlay stayed for the entire game (http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/548641657279222268/9DDD74D104E0442995E872FDD885B0188BA28C5F/)

4. Halley tail edge artifact (http://i.imgur.com/bqAm3zK.png)

5. Corpses not removed over planet smash crater and units can still fly/walk over it. (http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/548641657279225200/7C103AE4BEBF9575CBEA877A9E067EA962D6E1A8/)

6. Lots of fabbers having a hard time pathing to catalyst construction.

7. Lots of fabbers selected, placing catalysts seems very laggy and unresponsive after placing the first.
    Remy561 likes this.