[Angry rant] Gearbox is officially worse than EA in my book.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tehtrekd, December 3, 2014.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Recently, Gearbox released a hot """"fix"""" which will soon be (or probably already is) a patch to Borderlands the Pre-Sequel.
    This """"fixes"""" a bosses drop rate of a certain legendary weapon, by "fix" I actually mean "lowers". Now, normally this wouldn't be a big issue, drop rates were lowered in Borderlands 2 so whatever, right?

Well, the big issue is how farming works in TPS.
    In BL2, you would be able to simply farm an enemy over and over again until they drop the piece of gear, but in TPS this was inexplicably left out of the game. Most minibosses that drop specific gear are one-time encounters, which means that if you kill them and they don't drop that elusive and insanely rare piece of gear, you're SOL.

This essentially destroys any notion of endgame TPS could've possibly had. The biggest part of endgame in BL2 was farming bosses for better gear so you can... uh... farm some more.
    It was a skinner box, sure but if you like that sort of thing it was fun. But TPS removes any semblance of it being a shoot n' loot by almost completely removing the "loot", there were a few exceptions to that but for the most part, farming legendaries usually had a player use the grinder, which essentially also removes the "shoot" from this first person SHOOTER. Standing around and interacting with UI is nowhere near as fun as shooting things I shouldn't have to say this.

BUT, I hear you saying "how does that make them worse than EA? I mean sure they destroyed the endgame for TPS, but at least they haven't put in always online DRM, right?"

The thing that makes Gearbox worse than EA is their complete disregard to fans. They have flat out ignored fan complaints about the endgame content, and have constantly made the game worse and worse through PATCHING. Yeah, say what you will about EA, at least they acknowledge that their fans exist. Gearbox has done nothing to improve TPS, and has somehow made the game less and less enjoyable with every new patch, and that is absolutely inexcusable. It's inexcusable for any company.

There is no reason at all I should be worried when I see that TPS has a new patch out. No player should have to play in offline mode just to avoid patches, and yet that's what's happening.
    Hell, more people are currently playing BL2 then there are playing TPS on Steam.
    0.png

If I were Randy Pitchford, and I saw these kind of numbers, I'd probably take some community input. But alas I am not, and he hasn't.
    So yeah, **** Gearbox and everything they stand for.
  2. arseface

arseface Post Master General

To be honest, I don't think developers should do things because fans tell them to. Fans tend to be idiots that rarely know what they want.

I'm not saying that what they did was good, but listening to somebody just because they bought your product isn't exactly a good idea.
    cwarner7264 and pieman2906 like this.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Well no.

But listening to everybody is.
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Any game where you spend more time grinding for gear than for playing to advance the plot or just have fun is a bad game IMO.
    Col_Jessep likes this.
  5. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

TPS is just a ripoff. Low gravity and oxygen system got old after 30 minutes of playing, the boss fights are a joke and there's barely any new equipment. It really is nothing more than a full priced DLC.
  6. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Currently playing BL2, and i must say that i do not understand the point of farming some gear at endgame...
    If you already finished the game, why farming some new gear ? You are already powerful enought to finish the game...
    To be MORE powerful and to do MORE overkill on your ennemies ?
    (personnal side note : a player should see by the time he finish a game a good half of the "Legendary" gear. When i played BL1, i dropped only 1 Lendendary during the few hundred hours i played, a lvl 30 Hellfire. Nothing more. What's the point of having them ? Already finished the game in the most difficult mode... No need for the legendary stuff...).
  7. tehtrekd

Pretty much. That's basically the point of a skinner box game. The same holds true for games like Diablo, Torchlight, World of Warcraft, Everquest, and other loot-based games.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

@tehtrekd

>Company does one thing you don't particularly agree with.
    >Instantly becomes worse than another company known for doing many wrong and unjust things in the eye of the consumer.

Wat, Tehtrekd, you're REALLY blowing this out of proportion, like seriously. I mean heck, I never grinded in BL2 for things like that, so yeah. :/
  9. notgunked

notgunked Active Member

lol you guys think that is bad you im sure you guys have not even heard about the infamous Monolith company (shadow of mordor people). There was a Game for the 360 Arcade called Guardians of Middle-earth. Within the game there was a bug that didnt not allow you to play the game unless all the DLC was deleted from your harddrive. You then had to download the dlc in game everytime you had to play. Ontop of this sometimes even with the DLC deleted you might have had to restart the game again because the game failed to booted up properly because you had a "different version of the game." So here is the funny part Monolith released a patch that "fixed" tis problem, however when the patch hit live it did not work at all. It was basically a "placebo" patch that didnt do a single thing accept take up hard drive space. Essentially Monolith/Warnerbros paid Microsoft to release a patch that did nothing even when days prior they posted that they are currently "testing" a fix for the bug. And just to top this all off they pulled a Uber and stop communicating with the community so everyone was left like :confused: "This patch doesnt work?!?! Anyone there":confused:
  10. lolmontoya

lolmontoya Active Member

Simple solution level a character to UVHM to do the bosses . If no loot drops then delete that character and make a new one then do that process again. That way you can get legendaries that are max level. The grind is still there. Just a bit longer though.
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

There is a place for these games. Doesn't make them bad if done right.

Runescape used to be the best ever at this IMO. I used to love dungeoneering for this reason when it was newish. Using a variety of skills to do procedurally generated dungeons with various patterns of rooms of combat and puzzles and skill usages. Doing so many times, each slightly different, hoping for a special boss drop. Having to Aquire-On-Site your items each dungeon made it interesting, to use skills to craft all your stuff on site. Having 2, 3, or 4 items you can bind permanently to start with just them to begin with, meant you had something to work for, unique or hard to encounter items to bind to use continuously. A weapon, rare accessories, a single piece of armor of your choice of offence or defence buff...

That is good gameplay, coupled with making "200+ attempts at same level just for lucky rare loot", that is good all around.

He is right. Being able to play bosses over again is important. What they need to do, is make it possible to play bosses again from some mechanic. In Terraria, they had a difficultish set of requirements to make and do and wait. In Runescape, "floors" reward higher when you do "all" of them and then "prestige" which sets them all to undone again. TPS needs to do something like that. Make it to where you have to wait so long and pay something to do a boss again. Or make it to where you get better chances of loot on a boss, if you have beat so many bosses within the same near-time as each other, forcing you to do 5-6 bosses in a quick cycle or something.

This technically forces you to "restart every time" to do bosses. The only thing to make this acceptable, is a prestige like ability, to take your current character, abilities, weapons, ect. back to the beginning of the game and play at the character's appropriate difficulty. That way, you can do the boss again, as long as you do all the game up to that point again. That is a rough deal, but deal nonetheless.
  12. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

tl;dr: someone who doesn't understand the developers' design intentions or future plans proceeds to exhibit a complete lack of understanding about games development on a completely separate forum, instead of their official ones.

The hilarious thing is you don't have to grind for weapons. The game is completely playable with a completely normal, non-farm-intensive playthrough.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  13. teapot

teapot Post Master General

Gearbox took one of the best and most skillful console shooters of all time (Halo CE) aborted/ported it to PC with a ******* terrible netcode and did absolutely nothing to fix all of their bugs. I understand the issue of creating an online multiplayer game out of a game that had no intentions of ever being online, but still.

343i who did the master chief collection decided to use Gearbox's port of Halo PC instead of anything that resembled the console version.

Gearbox is horrible, but I think 343 is worse.
    naka333 likes this.
  14. tehtrekd

?!?
    I'm sorry, but if you put a boss in the game that has a specific drop, then have that drop be completely based on random chance, THEN let the player kill that boss only one time, that isn't good game design.
  15. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

The Pre-Sequel isn't made by Gearbox. It's made by 2K Australia
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I agree with him Gorbles. Do you have any insider information on what the dev's idea is with that? Because, playing it with the weapons it gives you is one thing, but in my example earlier, if I had to restart that many times character and all, to get a try at a weapon I want, and only got 1 try, and odds were very slim... Then I would try to get it anyway, but would get really peeved after a few trys. I would rather some sort of mechanic to let me do a grindy playthrough and spend some grinding time to get exactly the ideal loot I wanted.
  17. Geers

That reminds me.
    Apparently it has a lot of Australian-centric humour.

Anyone seen any examples?
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

That was really random, personally I liked Halo PC, as much of a bad port as it was. Especially the custom edition.

They didn't take out the bugs because that was the rules, the community begged for them not to, that's what you get, the bugs are a part of the gameplay.

Except they did fix the hitscan bug IIRC...
  19. worksofart

worksofart Member

Borderlands is a terrible franchise because when I tried to play the first one I listened to a friend pretend to go afk and instead alt tab and jerk off while cybering on skype.

My saves also kept getting deleted. Don't play Borderlands.
  20. Geers

A) That's not the game's fault.
    B) We didn't need to know that.
    squishypon3 likes this.