Use the In-Game Community Mods - Cross Platform PA Mod Manager (PAMM) is Obsolete

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Mereth, May 24, 2014.

1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I assume he just deleted it. You can rename it to mods.json.bak to be on the save side, then start PAMM and it will probably work then. Of course @Mereth needs to prevent this from happening in the first place at some point. :)
    Nicb1 likes this.
  2. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Ah thanks. That appears to have fixed the issue.
  3. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

Did you try out PAHub lately ?
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Still a few things not-quite-perfect with mod management in PA Hub (mainly in terms of backwards compatibility with very old mods). You shouldn't have a problem, but if you do, please let me know!

Also, mod downloads via PA Hub don't get counted yet :oops:
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

@Mereth - is the call to update the download counts of mods meant to take effect immediately?
    I call the following but the download count does not update.

Code:
    <constant.MOD_USAGE_URL = "http://pamm-mereth.rhcloud.com/api/usage">
    $.post(constant.MOD_USAGE_URL, { identifier: content_id, action: (update ? "update" : "install") });
    Also confirmed in PAMM - if I download a mod, then refresh, the count for that mod has not increased.
    Mereth likes this.
  6. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

Statistics are refreshed and cached every 15mn or so.
    Raevn likes this.
  7. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Could we please have a "disable all mods" toggle or separate launch button? Lately I've seen "try with no mods and see if the bug still happens" quite a lot, so a toggle such as this would be super duper.
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Show Additional Options - Disable All
    carn1x likes this.
  9. Bloxxxi

Bloxxxi New Member

Please I need help:
    I have Windows and installed PAMM with the installer. But I can't execute/open it because i can't find the .exe file. I looked in "C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\pamm" but there is no .exe as well. I also uninstalled it and installed it again but it's the same problem...:(
  10. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Second that, I too have this issue
    Bloxxxi likes this.
  11. herodotus07

herodotus07 New Member

Can't get past the first hurdle. Windows Installer cannot identify the MSI file and aborts installation. Usually MSI programs install just fine on Windows 7, but this one won't.
  12. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

13. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

Probably an overzealous antivirus/antimalware. As far as I can tell, the setup works fine on Win7 SP1 and Win8.1.
    bsergent likes this.
  14. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

I checked my AVAST logs, no files were deleted or moved to the chest, nor potential virii detected in the last 48 hours.

Still, I disabled it and tried the install again, and it worked.

I wonder what aspect is causing the false positive?
  15. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

Probably because there is .exe in the name :rolleyes: Antivirus do more harm than good for most users if you want my opinion.

Antivirus have the bad habit to lock files for a short period of time during their "on the fly" scan, and it can cause weird behavior.
    bsergent likes this.
  16. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

Tell me about it. If you Google "false positives for fun and profit" you might run across an essay I wrote on the subject ages ago on my underlore blog :p

I strongly doubt my av software has ever helped me. I bet collectively they use up more cpu cycles than bitcoin, and with far less utility.

I think I mainly run my av program because the little spinny icon is neat looking to me :p
  17. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Use Microsoft Security Essentials then (or if you're on Windows 8 just use Windows Defender) since it has a superb false positive record.
    bsergent likes this.
  18. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

Heh, even a stopped clock is right twice a day eh?

I was kidding mostly. In truth I of course think avast is superior to defaults/nothing. :)
  19. herodotus07

herodotus07 New Member

HELP!
    I download the MSI PAMM installer from the indicated link (the one that's not obsolete). Fine. Comes up as a Windows Installer. No matter how many times I download the file, every time I attempt to run it I get this error message:

"This installation package could not be opened. Contact the vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

Can't install PAMM! Anyone help?
    Windows 7, BTW.
  20. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

This definitely looks like a problem with windows instead of the actual program.

There is really nothing I can do to help from my end, other than suggest solutions like on the Microsoft support page.

@raevn do you know of any such solutions for this? It looks like lots of the new players are having some issues with installing pamm :(:oops: