Differenciated Radar Blips and The General Approach to Intel

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, July 8, 2013.

?

Should radar blips :

1. be like now

62 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. be more in depth suppressing some micro

149 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

You can't test it with PA unless it is implemented.

And it is implemented in SupCom, so if you want to try it, well....

Not much would change with the proposed changes, gameplay wise. The informations which would be revealed are accessible by using the debug view anyway (currently even BEFORE you ever had vision), and hiding buildings and alike is entirely pointless, given that you can still see the decals on the floor, even after loosing vision. It's just a game of Pairs now where you have to remember what exactly was seen last, with having the Chronocam and the notifications as a qick way to remember anyway.

Point is: That system needs some work anyway since there is an exploit possible with the current implementation, so why don't make right the second time?
    tatsujb likes this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

agreed though I never understood why this game turned out to be ......So small.

I mean it was advertised as a grand scale game and that's what brought me here.

why the hell is nothing done to popularize bigger maps and instead the devs are letting PA's unfinished state beat small maps into them?

as it currently stands balance only works on small maps. everything is only being tested on small maps. as a result the only working things are working because they are on small maps.

I want more interest to be pored into big maps so I can better enjoy this game.
    :> maybe it's because there are so few people capable of responding to this topic. it's too complex, too intellectually taxing. You should be proud. : >

I'd really like for more people to react. sure it requires some serious brainstorm to theorise over all of this, but I guarantee you all, this topic of debate is worth the effort, and hugely interesting.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I disagree, balance is better on larger maps imho.
  4. tatsujb

I seriously don't get how you could come to such a wild conclusion.

have you ever PvPed on a 3000 radius planet?

I have.
  5. squishypon3

I meant 500 - 1000...

I don't consider 3000 a "large map" that's a huuuuge map... When I mean't large maps are better balance than small maps I say that because small maps never even get to t2, t2 is completely useless in 1v1 and the teeny maps competitive players like to play on.
  6. exterminans

That's merely a 20km SupCom map in terns of planet surface. Huge would be radius 12k.
    tatsujb likes this.
  7. squishypon3

I recognize that, but it just doesn't feel so. I suppose it's due to the planets being spherical, but a radius 1000 is large to me.
  8. tatsujb

I couldn't fit my d**k inside

please read this with extra servings of internet kittenz
    squishypon3 likes this.
  9. exterminans

Is Uber even aware of that radar exploit present in the current version?
  10. squishypon3

Doubt it considering I don't either!

What's the exploit, and why haven't you (or have you?) Made a dedicated thread/ bug report?
  11. exterminans

The "blips" are not just blips - they have ALWAYS the full unit spec and also unit rotation attached. It's a matter of changing a SINGLE byte in the PA executable to get "full vision" on all units merely covered by radar.

You won't get their health (at least I don't think you do) and you are not subscribed to extended events such as fire animations, targets etc., but that's only a minor disadvantage.

And why no bug report? Like them to realize how bogus the current implementation is first, on so many levels. A "quick hotfix" wouldn't help the cause of getting the intelligence system refined.
    tatsujb likes this.
  12. squishypon3

Not saying anything yet expecting change is a bit counter-intuitive, no?
  13. exterminans

Don't expect to understand my ways, just watch as my plans unfold. There are maybe 3-4 people on this forum who can exploit that design flaw in all of its beauty, so it's not that critical. Just enough to shaken the trust in the architecture and the perceived "security" of the client / server separation.
  14. tatsujb

hey you guys woke my thread whilst managing not to wake me!

actually...
    upload_2014-11-25_22-15-50.jpeg

anyway the fact that this exploit exists (and extermians stop pretending it's a super hush-hush secret, we ALL know) really shows that there was a problem with the intel approach.

probably rethinking it would be a great opportunity to invent a new system not vulnerable to this exploit (and perhaps others).
    Last edited: November 25, 2014
  15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

The exploit has nothing to do with the intel system - it's a bug with too much data being sent to the client for these blips. Changing the intel system would not help with this bug at all, and fixing this bug does not need a change to the intel system to do.
  16. tatsujb

I know all that. the point is generally when Uber's attention shift to a point of the game there are unexpected positive side effects either within that category or somehow linked to it.

all I'm saying is "two birds one stone"
  17. planktum

planktum Post Master General

If you want to identify the units then build radar satellites.
  18. tatsujb

If you want to be counter-productive then go post in other threads you haven't read pre-emptively.

/read please.
  19. planktum

planktum Post Master General

I have read it and maybe I just don't understand what you are getting at. My comment still stands. Normal radar with blips work how radar should work - blips. If you wanted more info on the battlefield then you would use satellites (i.e. google earth type thing). Or send a drone (firefly).
    Last edited: November 25, 2014
    Raevn and kayonsmit101 like this.
  20. tatsujb

no that's an entire slice of intel that you're throwing under the bus.

you're saying it's okay current tech one vision forces you into micro because HEY at t3 you get full on vision!

I'm sorry but in no way does that arrange any of the current problems with how intel functions.

it just makes it worse and even more annoyingly detuned. Obviously it's hard to realise the faults in a tool when you at least have some sort of tool to use at all. I admit it's much better than nothing.

hey. try to imagine PA without intel at all. Would this spurr you into thinking there is a problem? something missing?

you have the possibility of trying FA to see what that intel model is like.
    It'll allow you to comprehend what I'm talking about and that there actually is a notable difference.

I swear you do not currently realise how much of an issue there is with claiming to be a macro-oriented game, then having to memorize every blip, then claiming to be a strategy game then giving you full vision. nuking strategy from the sky to replace it with tactics.