I'm considering starting up a Kickstarter Campaign of my own...

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by squishypon3, November 10, 2014.

?

Do you think you'd back this project?

1. Yes.

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Maybe, show me more details.

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. No. (Reasons below?)

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

@cdrkf

I wanted to let you- and everyone else know I'll probably be basing the ui off of a 1080 x 1920 resolution screen, at least originally, as that's what most modern phones use and it gives more space then some may think. (Just think of your computer screen, only a bit smaller)
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Most phones?! Only a handful of top end devices imo... My phone for example has a 960 x 540 px resolution and a 4.2in size, and this phone isn't what I'd consider low spec. Heck my laptop is only 1366 x 768 and that's still standard on anything sub about 600 quid.

I'd aim a bit lower. Also remember working to 1080p is going to make things tiny on a 5in display of a phone. Make the visually 1080p by all means but the ui needs to be sized to suit lower resolution displays.
  3. squishypon3

Wow laptop economy in Britain must be odd, screen res shouldn't have such a power in cost.

My intel HD 3000 PC is 1080 by 1920, that's like standard screen res I thought.

Though I think I agree with you, besides sizing up for 1080 x 1920 from lower res would be much simpler than scaling down, though I can't guarantee that they'd be ordered the EXACT same way, not utilizing better screen resolution would be a waste imo down the line.:p
  4. mrkroket

mrkroket Member

Well, it's 1920 x 1080, not the opposite. You shouldn't make a GUI for a fixed resolution, this is so 90's.
    Never use absolute values, but relative values for screen width, height and aspect ratio.
  5. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

In unity there is no other way than working on proportions. You need to remember about 16x9, 16x10 and 4x3. If UI scale for those it should work on everything.
    Also first you need to design all that graphic elements, icons buttons etc and 1920x1080 is a good start. You can consider using 2times bigger res for better quality and scale it down 2x before saveing files to game. Then you will always have way to make something bigger or change it if you need.
  6. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Ha! most phones! My phone has... you don't want to know. :p But it runs OpenTTD, like cdrkf mentioned, and runs it pretty well. In my eyes the controls aren't that bad, it would be very useful to have a larger screen, recent patches for the game have fixed some UI stuff and allowed two-finger tap for canceling placement. It's ok, but you'll play a lot faster with a mouse, that's the point from this. So a slower pace and good interface is key for a good mobile RTS. (Which has already been said, but I'm just emphasizing this a little more:rolleyes:)

In this case, iOS would be easier, since there are less types of devices with iOS, unlike Android which has hundreds of types of phones that run it, each having different resolutions and hardware.

On Pc, that is. If you create a new project and set it to iOS, you'll get this:
    example res iOS.png
    Now that's easy. You can always add your own resolutions with the + button, which is useful for pc if you're not really into proportions.

Didn't I say 40% of the users code in JS? Well that's completely wrong, remembered there was a blog post, only 19% of the Unity users code in JS. Woops. So C# has definitely become a first-class citizen.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  7. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Its only preview of selected resolution. But in unity everything is 3d, even 2d objects and you always should to work on proportions, not on resolutions. The only thing is texture pixels to unity world units.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  8. squishypon3

@cdrkf

Please appreciate my super crude paint skillz.

Crude UI example.png
    xankar likes this.
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The concept looks ok, though I think in reality it would be a bit small. Imo mini map should be a separate screen and brought up when needed (at least for lower resolutions).

Also where is the move command? How would I select a unit then move it, then select a different one? How does area selection work? Also remember there is an issue with dragging on screen- if a command requires your finger in the screen you can't see what's under it (a real annoyance for tower placement in toy rush and also for action cards).

The best solution I've seen for the is to allow dragging on a different area of the screen correctly effect the selected item (which requires it to stay selected when you touch a blank area).

As I mention I also think context switching your menus is an idea. Instead of the pa bottom and right bars, have only the rh menu and change it based on the unit selected...
    squishypon3 likes this.
  10. stonewood1612

Unity 4.6 has been officially released today!

If you haven't been using the beta, enjoy the new and easy to use UI features that were added. Previously, UI was done via scripting completely, now you can a lot of the work in the editor, code is only needed to make your UI do stuff. It's a big improvement, and instantly makes game development easier.
  11. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Damn.
  12. squishypon3

If I select a unit and just press the screen it will act as a move command, whilst pressing and holding moves the screen. (The effectiveness of this will really have to do with your phones sensetivity, my phone is the galaxy note 3 and it works perfectly, but I've seen much slower touch phones before.)

Context would be when menus appear, I just tried to put everything in there mainly for placement, I doubt it'd look the same in a final pass.

Basically I'm thinking to select units you do the two finger drag, this is possible because rather than make scrolling in and out connected to the two fingers dragging apart, it'll be connected to the scroll bar in the top left. Maybe press and hold will be to deselect/select a unit outside of the drag selection box?
  13. squishypon3

Yeah it's a bitch to do so, but I do most of my art with the mouse because I don't have money for a tablet. xP
  14. Geers

Geers Post Master General

xankar and squishypon3 like this.
  15. Maldor96

Maldor96 Active Member

While I'm no expert on screen sizes and what devices use what kind of screen, If you're going to design for a 1080x1920 resolution area (I would recommend starting at 1024x800 personally) then draw the ui at that resolution, once you have that, send it to a phone or tablet with the resolution and see how it feels. There is a difference between mocking up a ui and using one, if you want I will look into mocking up a UI for you that might be a little more refined, No offense to your
    but you could do better ;)
  16. xankar

xankar Post Master General

I would back this since this looks like a (real) rts for mobile (none of that clash of clans type of **** that I see everywhere). Would be cool to actually see this a success
  17. stonewood1612

Kabump.

Unity 5.0 is out.

Apparently, if I'm getting this right, or at least their site is right, there are no longer any differences between pro and free (now called 'personal edition') version in terms of engine features. WAIT WHAT?! Can somebody tell me I'm wrong.
    No I'm right.

ALL PRO ENGINE FEATURES ARE NOW INCLUDED IN THE FREE VERSION

Holy cow, Yes! Soft shadows! Image effects! Advanced pathfinding with dynamic obstacles! Lod! Light Probes! Audio Filters! Now for free! Zero-budget devs are jumping euphorically in the air! That includes me!

What are you waiting for, go make some games, damnit!
  18. arseface

arseface Post Master General

UE 4 is free as well now. They ditched the subscription thing.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  19. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

That's why I wouldn't back. We have no idea how good you're at programming and stuff.
    Also, is it actually possible to make a mobile RTS that doesn't suck? I'm not sure about that one.
  20. squishypon3

That was modelling; not programming. I just couldn't remember which number I pulled.

I've done a lot of modelling, nothing to worry about. Also I've done basic java stuff, I've done modding in PA, modding back on Halo CE (custom weapons, vehicles, etc...)

also I think a good RTS in mobile is most definitely possible, but that nobody wants to work on one, because it can't follow the way to make money on mobile devices. In game stores and such.

I may end up using unreal as I've done some things with its engine in the past- like I said if I ever did end up planning on a KS I'd make a playable indev build fist that'd be free to the public.