Ringworlds confirmed - UFO Sighted

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, November 20, 2014.

1. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Yup it is Dyson cereal bowl.
  2. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Those look awesome! Any way of creating a bowl-shaped arena-planet?
  3. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

a Nestworld?
    davostheblack likes this.
  4. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

5. guest1

guest1 Active Member

That's totally possible, although you'd have to take care to avoid dipping too far down into the center of the planet. I would try cutting away one hemisphere entirely and putting a deep crater in the remaining portion. You still might run into rendering issues, though - can't really say for sure without testing it.
  6. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

7. wondible

wondible Post Master General

BP_None
    BP_Arch
    BP_Terrain
    BP_Terrain_BelowZero
    BP_Bend
    BP_Longitude
    BP_LongitudePinch

BO_Add
    BO_Subtract
    BO_Base

A transformation matrix is a general concept you can look up online. It encodes translation, rotation, and scale. Considering they have those things separately, it may be to optimize the regular planet building. If that's true, you might be to get it to render 3D rotated, sheared, etc. by using the transform only.
    Last edited: November 21, 2014
    guest1 likes this.
  8. guest1

guest1 Active Member

I know my linear algebra :p, just wasn't sure about the implementation. You're probably right that one set of values is redundant; that makes a lot more sense than all of them interacting in some dubious way.

I don't really have the time right now, but at some point it would be good to test which set of values get loaded when you edit an imported system and precisely when the other set are recomputed.
    Last edited: November 21, 2014
  9. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

squishypon3 likes this.
  10. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Ohw, the placing tool (the wire frame that shows your build queue) works on polar coordinates!?
    On 3:40 in the video, you can clearly see that the factories are placed too tight together, and in fact only every second factory is build later on.

And, yes, this ring planet thingy is mind (and engine) breaking ;)

criz.
  11. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

12. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

13. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

The transform is the transformation matrix: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformation_matrix. The position, height, scale and rotation are components which are used to generate the matrix. When you modify a selected brush in the editor you are changing these components, which will change the resulting matrix.
  14. guest1

guest1 Active Member

Thanks for the help! Do you mind commenting on what the weight and weightHard tags do?

Also, under what circumstances does the biomeColor come into effect? I've tried editing it on craters, but the color is only briefly visible before the crater texture pops in.
  15. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

Some of the fields are not really used. Weight and weightHard are related to random planet generation, and they should have no effect on custom planets. BiomeColor was for debugging the planet generation code and will also have no important effects on custom planets.
    shiwanabe, guest1 and wondible like this.
  16. stawos

stawos Member

Yeah this map was super fun to play on I'm trying to find Guest to make him put it up on system sharing.
    dukyduke and Remy561 like this.
  17. guest1

guest1 Active Member

At this point I kind of want to remake the map from scratch before publicly releasing it. I've learned a great deal from this thread, and by messing with the .pas files directly I can produce the same effects as before with smoother terrain and much more efficient brush usage. Also, custom metal points are now in, which means I can replace the previous random scattering with more balanced and interesting placement.

The system sharing mod doesn't seem to accept submissions from the PTE, so I'll probably post the .pas file here when I'm done with it. Might host a test game first, I'll give some advance notice if so.
  18. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Yay, I saw zaphod's vid of this and immediately went to try it. Not finding it on system sharing was sad :(

Will definitely try to make it to any test games, although I'm sure you'll have no shortage of willing victims :p
  19. guest1

guest1 Active Member

[​IMG]

Starting over was a good idea.

[​IMG]

I'm interested to see what people make of these tunnels. They could be great for raiding if used right; of course, people could also just park their coms down there and be completely safe from nukes, bombers and orbital attacks, which is a bit cheesy.
  20. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Can yo make systems with one or two planets for those of us who are RAM-deprived?
    squishypon3 likes this.