Assault Carriers: A Unit Cannon Alternative

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Crymaw, October 3, 2014.

1. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

2. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

It is a great idea but it is never going to happen. The devs have stated multiple times they have no plans to implement multi-unit carriers because they turned out to be insanely difficult in SupCom. Some new units are planned but they are not going to involve fundementally new mechanics. The unit cannon is 'planned' but with no set data and won't likely appear before xmas if at all.

Put simply, there simply isn't enough time left on the dev teams schedule for major additions like this. The game still needs huge amounts of polish, ui, and balance work and it will be amazing just to get that stuff done before xmas. Simple reality folks.
  3. doud

doud Well-Known Member

As far as i understood, the real challenge is if transported units have the ability to fire upon ennemy while being transported. If they just disapear inside the transport unit then the issue is solved.
  4. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

This is correct as I understand it. For example in @elodea's Energy Wars mod there are multi-unit dox transports who simply vanish and reappear from the transport. So the mechanic is in principle easy to implement if you are willing to do it the ugly way. Uber seems pretty committed against it but I would be strongly for a micro-mod that only adds interplanetary multi-unit transports. Make the current air transport model larger and let units zap into it from orbital level if you have too. If someone makes a mod with just this, we can more easily get a feel for how it would impact gameplay.
  5. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

I was never suggesting that there would be an orbital transport with Doxs firing from it: that would be absurd. I was suggesting an orbital transport that swallows units up, and then fires them much like the unit cannon.

And my post was never a call for the Devs to make this a top priority. The Devs had already said that the unit cannon was taking a back-seat until they had the time to do it. I was suggesting an alternative for when they decided to cross that bridge.

It seems though that the unit cannon is happening, and it is perhaps happening sooner than we thought: http://www.uberent.com/pa/news/

So I guess that's that then.
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

You can already play with the unit cannon if you download the PTE test version :D
    squishypon3 and Crymaw like this.