Pretty Screenshots! - Page #15 to see Robots Die on the Die! - 09.12.15

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eroticburrito, May 13, 2014.

1. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Don't even get me started. I am considering doing a load of shots to illustrate how frustrating that glitch is. I constantly work round it when doing this stuff.
    tatsujb likes this.
  2. eroticburrito

All this stuff spawns at 750+ Radius in Jungles, Deserts, Mountain and Lunar Biomes.

The above picture is actually two temples laid in the same position, with a small one inside a larger one.
    I was mucking around in the PTE with the new CSG placement tools and thought it looked cool.
    Remy561 likes this.
  3. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

[​IMG]
  4. m1dnightmoose

m1dnightmoose Active Member

Let me save you the hastle...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    @jables So. Can we get this on a current work update please.

Awesome screenshots can bring in more players so its a win win. And it was my birthday so that can be your present to me.

<3
    eroticburrito and Remy561 like this.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

All it really needs is a kind of fade, sort of have it fade out of the horizon.
    cdrkf likes this.
  6. m1dnightmoose

m1dnightmoose Active Member

Yeah that's all that's needed. sounds easy, but I imagine that on the technical side it gets complicated... lets hope that its not the case.

<3
    igncom1 likes this.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Yeah, that codejitsu must be painful.
    m1dnightmoose likes this.
  8. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

A logical solution from a non-coder's point of view would be to make the effect 2D which rotates relative to the camera of the observer so that whatever angle you view a planet from it always is in the distance but at an appropriate angle to make it appear legit. (Not sure if lighting effects would need any jiggery-pokery though :/
  9. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

[​IMG]
    ArchieBuld, mered4, stuart98 and 26 others like this.
  10. jables

jables Uber Employee

11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Dat response time tho
  12. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

No fade needed, already existed in the shader, I just had to figure out where it was going wrong. There's a couple of equations in the shader that check when the pixel being drawn is "outside" the atmosphere and do an early exit so it doesn't try to draw anything at that pixel which is a pretty common optimization. Unfortunately one of the equations for checking if the view vector intersects a sphere fails if the starting point is inside the sphere it's checking against, so I check if we're inside the sphere ... and problem solved.

If anyone is curious why it wasn't fixed earlier the last two times I looked at the issue my sphere intersection math wasn't good enough to know what the problem was. Yay learning!
    stuart98, Quitch, tatsujb and 17 others like this.
  13. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Blue skies aheaaaaad!
    squishypon3 likes this.
  14. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

<3
    m1dnightmoose and squishypon3 like this.
  15. eroticburrito

I love you so much right now.
    Remy561 and squishypon3 like this.
  16. Azarath

Azarath Member

My long dream of having an Ion Cannon in PA has finally been made into reality?! :eek:
    Now the stupid question: Where can I get this?
  17. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

View the post below it :p
  18. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Is that similar to when you move the camera underwater and the water essentially disappears?
  19. Azarath

Azarath Member

Ah, I see it now.
    To be honest, at first I didn't see anything at all but then I noticed the link.
    Thanks
  20. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

No. Water is back face culled which means only the "top" of the water is rendered and the "bottom" of the water surface doesn't get rendered at all. This is because of the way transparent surfaces are rendered in realtime 3d rendering if you have both sides visible the "under" side might end up rendering on top of the water surface sometimes, which is not what you want. If you want two transparent objects to render correctly you have to sort the draw order before rendering them, but you don't want to do this for every polygon because it gets expensive, and still doesn't solve intersecting transparencies. It's been an area of active research for a few decades now, but intersecting transparencies and the solutions to the issue are still usually too expensive that we continue to fall back on our old habits.

The specific way to solve this for water is something I've been thinking about. Specifically the water interior and exterior would need to be rendered as separate objects with the surface always rendering over the interior. Unfortunately we don't currently have that much control over transparencies in our engine. It would require being able to bias the sorting of transparent objects as the water surface and water interior would have the exact same location (the center of the planet they're on), and the distance from the camera is basically what is being sorted, so they'll likely flicker back and forth in our current engine.