1v1 ranked, remove similar colours

Discussion in 'Support!' started by liamdawe, November 14, 2014.

1. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Something has been bugging me since coming back to PA, and that is colours. Team colour that is.

I honestly think it's bad behaviour to pick a colour close to the enemy to confuse them, so if possible I think 1v1 ranked should remove all close colours.

I know everyone likes customization stuff, but this is ranked we are talking about.

Maybe even just Red & Blue to keep it simple? They are perfectly easily to tell apart.

Agree/Disagree?
    Remy561, zaphodx, n00n and 2 others like this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

agree, no need for weird colors in ranked.
    red vs blue makes perfect sense.
  3. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Case and point: Had a game earlier, two very different colours, just before it loaded they switched to a colour very close to me.

It seems to be a tactic, and one that takes away from some of the fun of ranked.
  4. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Agreed, played yellow against orange once, with @wondible Two colors mod (brighter), and battles were a total mess for me.
  5. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

If someone could drag a developer in here to think it over, and comment, that would be great.
  6. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

@jables
  7. n00n

n00n Active Member

8. jables

jables Uber Employee

Still planned. Probably in December time frame.
    Remy561, cptconundrum and n00n like this.
  9. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I don't like red vs blue at all times. That's boring. You know, you could just add a friend/foe colour option to make all enemies red, your allies yellow, and your stuff blue instead.

What's also a way of approaching this would be to prevent people choosing colours in ranked, so they just get a random one when the game starts. The game would be smart enough to not pick two close colours such as blue and purple or yellow and orange.

And lastly, dual-colour icons that show your secondary colour. That would also really help, if your secondary colour can't be the same as your opponents. So you basically have two unique colours (only in ranked) for each player. So then, purple/yellow vs blue/red would be still viable.

Which of these three options would you pick?
    planktum and SXX like this.
  10. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Not if you're colourblind.
  11. cola_colin

Wasn't that red and green?
  12. stonewood1612

Red and blue colourblindness exists too.
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Jeez colin.

That was very... shortsighted of you.

ZAM!
    cola_colin and optimi like this.
  14. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Actually there isn't any kind of red/blue colour blindness. Red/purple or blue/purple is possible.

I did a lot of searching for colour blindness when thinking about approved eXodus colours for events. The overwhelmingly most comprehensive article I could find was this one.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Like this idea. Considering 1v1 ranked is just 1v1 would be great if each player will able to choose colors for his/enemy units as he like.
  16. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

My two colours were just an example, obviously if they aren't good for colourblind people then we go for a different set. My point was to have two static opposing colours that are easy to tell apart.

I am all for anything that can achieve this, like random colour picking.
  17. stonewood1612

I'm wrong, there isn't something called red/blue colourblindness. But... you could still have monochromatic vision, in that case you're srewed. :p Luckily, that's very rare.

So red vs blue would work, but I'd still want to keep it as a friend/foe option, like quite a few rts games have. It needs to work in spectator mode too.
  18. planktum

planktum Post Master General

Why don't you make it so that you can choose your own and your aponents color? It's only going to affect what you see on screen, and they can do the same. Makes sense if you ask me. This also means if someone else chooses my favorite color, then I can still choose it too. I hate being forced to choose a different color when I used to playing with a certain color.

I'd also like to be able to pick my secondary colors. Please make these suggestions happen.

Obviously in teams games there should be an option to keep colors as they are, so that when your team member says to attack blue you know who they are taking about.
    Last edited: November 15, 2014
    nlgenesis likes this.
  19. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

20. cola_colin