"Failed to join game" ;(

Discussion in 'Support!' started by killerkiwijuice, September 8, 2014.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Yet another one of the many lobby bugs, i cannot join a game when someone leaves a slot. I try to join some really cool games but the lobbies get bugged, and i believe they do this when someone leaves. (or it could be something entirely different). Instead of "login accepted" it shows "failed to join game"

I know this has been around for a LONG time. HRMM I wont say it.

Sorry if there are other threads on this.
  2. vhlulke

vhlulke New Member

You and me and load of others have this I have given up trying to join a game I will wait on the next patch in the hope it may get fixed. Unfortunately I backed this normally I make good decisions when buying games but I must say the whole early access\ kick starter type games sucker punched me. My new rules is to leave kick starter, early access and pre-order well alone and buy games a couple of months after release.
  3. killerkiwijuice

They should not have released

who said that
  4. killerkiwijuice

Any updates on this?

Getting quite annoying, not being able to join a game.
  5. n00n

n00n Active Member

This is a rather common, well known and very annoying bug. I was talking to @SXX about it earlier and we attempted to reproduce it but were unsuccessful. If someone knows how & could share step by step instructions on how to reproduce the bugged lobby we should be able to get this fix once and for all

Related tracker reports:Duplicate thread on the issue: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/last-slot-bug-73441.64925/
    I'm inviting them over to see if they can help: @elodea, @mikeyh, @Alpha2546.
    Last edited: November 8, 2014
    Alpha2546 and SXX like this.
  6. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Just had this problem again. 2v2 with three players and one spot free. Tried to connect but it didn't work.

From the log
    [17:34:40.063] INFO Connect to 5.153.6.198:9000 worked
    [17:34:40.360] INFO client::ClientGame::connection_LoginAccepted
    [17:34:40.578] INFO client::ClientGame::connection_GameConfig
    [17:34:40.578] INFO client::ClientGame::connection_SimCreated
    [17:34:40.578] INFO client::ClientGame::connection_SimTerminated
    [17:34:40.578] INFO client::ClientGame::connection_Disconnected
    [17:34:47.922] INFO client::ClientGame::resetGameState

Now or its because I was kicked everytime I don't think so because I should have seen the lobby real quick. or someone else was in it which wasn't possible since the game was still in the show all game with one spot free.

Maybe Uber can see something from the log?
  7. n00n

n00n Active Member

Next time I come across this bug, I'll try grab and post the relevant JSON object from the lobby list. If we get the before and after (by re-adding the slot) state of the lobby it will hopefully show the issue.
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  8. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Where can I get that lobby list? I'll try and grabbing it also then. I don't understand the readding slot thingy though.
  9. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It's cute how you quote the URL pointing to the lobby list and ask where to get the lobby list. :p (just teasing)

Anyway, the slot thing is where one of the slots (spots) in the lobby breaks and become unjoinable. The reason for that is not exactly clear yet. It might be that it was once occupied by a player that later left or maybe that two players tried to join simultaneously. Removing the slot and adding it again seems to resolve the issue though. That is something the person hosting the game needs to do.
    n00n likes this.
  10. n00n

n00n Active Member

Okay… I found a four player, 2v2 team lobby with this issue and just the host connected. I then created a similar lobby to compare against. The issue seems to be caused by the PlayerUberNames array:

With the issue:
    Code:
          "PlayerUberNames": [
            null,
            "nick_redacted",
            null,
            null
          ],
    Without the the issue:
    Code:
          "PlayerUberNames": [
            null
          ],
    In both cases the player_names array had just the hosts nick.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

What I wonder about can this happen because on server-side use code like this to delete players from client state?

Here is code from /media/server-script/states/lobby.js:858
    Code:
        self.removePlayer = function (id) {
            debug_log('removePlayer');

delete client_state.players[id];
            var player = self.players[id];
                delete self.players[id];

From what I understand when you delete entry in Javascript using "delete" array entry don't disappear completely, but become "undefined" (and "null" on JSON export):
    Code:
    var numbers = ["One", "Two", "Three"];
    alert(JSON.stringify(numbers));
    delete numbers[1];
    alert(JSON.stringify(numbers));

Can this be reason of this issue?
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Other thing I'm really wonder about. Is anyone managed to understand how to actually reproduce it?
    Might be it's happen when client wasn't disconnected properly?
  13. killerkiwijuice

It happens when someone leaves the lobby, I think. Either that or people alt-f4.
  14. n00n

n00n Active Member

The local server does not use said array, nor is not mentioned in any of the files.

Seems like a likely cause.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Of course this array have nothing to do with game server itself because it's created by PlayFab, but before it's created PlayFab have to gather some data from game server. And game server might pass "null" p items in JSON-serialized players array in case there were "deleted" and become "undefined".
  16. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

I have been getting this message quite a bit as well. It doesn't help that there's not much games to play in the list. And the ones that are listed don't work.
  17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

For anyone interested I'd posted more details on community bug tracker: PA#3149
    Thanks for @n00n who pinged me about this one and helped to reproduce it.

So this one is reported and hopefully Uber will fix it soon.
    n00n likes this.
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

And yeah what's more important. We only reproduced it in situation when one of clients crashes in lobby.
    So if anyone have any other idea how to trigger the problem please post it here. :)