Some changes in how we use PTE

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, November 10, 2014.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

That comm torpedo balance was half the naval problem :D
    warrenkc likes this.
  2. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

It won't really make a difference on small planets because of radar i think. And on big planets you only use them for raiding so they are still just as good at doing that. They are only weaker against tanks and air on medium-big planets which wouldn't be a bad thing (they shouldn't be good against this units at all) Maybe this patch just makes radar more important which would be cool. Well, that is just my opinion. Also, how much is 100 vision range? I need something to compare this to in my head.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

The dox change removes their ability to scout without unit support. A good nerf.
  4. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

hehe, now the dox will be wiped out by my tank blobs before they can run :cool: (If i am playing against a only dox, no radar player )
  5. mered4

Oh wow. you guys really nerfed the Comm torps. I had them at the same range as Orcas. :D
    But, the RoF is one per second instead of one every two. The comm will still be quite powerful up close, methinks.
    Yes, but, more importantly, Dox cannot just run around without radar and see everything. They cannot run around armies without other intel. This forces diversity.

Their effectiveness remains unchanged. :p

Actually, it was only 1/6 of the problem, if you count all the units as problems.
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Hmm... this change basically cements the dox + air start imo. Dox on their own (already a bad start imo) is now pretty much game over. It won't remove dox from the game though- still very cheap with good dps and speed- ideal for killing off expansions. They just need to be supported by a bit of air :p
  7. mered4

Now we just need to make Grenadiers worth it, and this will be so much more diverse.
    ace63, drz1 and cdrkf like this.
  8. mered4

I'm making a server mod that demos these changes. Putting it on PAMM in 5.
  9. mered4

Ok. The Mod is posted to PAMM. :D
  10. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Is the absence of grenadiers a corollary of people not really using walls any more, with or without turrets? I haven't seen a lot of walls in recent videos, presumably because they are not cost effective? I like walls, and the idea of need grenadiers to really counter them, at least in terms of bots...
    K1S3L likes this.
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I have seen walls used quite a bit still (as they're still cheap and high hp), though I've noted that targeting for most units has been improved allowing dox / tanks to fire over walls more than they could before.
    K1S3L and mered4 like this.
  12. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Or dox + skitters? That's how we used to do it before they had their vision increased.
    Quitch, K1S3L and cdrkf like this.
  13. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

And we still have artillery bots and vehicles. I just hope the grenadier finds it's niche :p
  14. mered4

Which is fine by me for now, as it improves diversity.
    K1S3L and cptconundrum like this.
  15. immorhys

immorhys New Member

3/4 of the problem. For the few naval games I've played, enemy comm standing at the front, destroying any ships approaching his base, he lost to bomber snipes. Could not use any naval against him.

Another game last night, 3 v 3, we were stuffed, last comm in the water. Took out the entire enemy navy with just the commander, then got killed (while underwater) by a bomber strike. Its godlike in the water.
  16. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

The curious thing about the current balance is that many things are in an overnerfed state and units that were created for the pre-nerfed state remain the same. Walls and defenses have been on the decline ever since the big nerf that made them needed. Infernos and grenadiers have stayed the same or gotten weaker. Consequently most of the game is centered around units that emphasize fast strikes and tanks are often used in place of defense. I think a general slight boost to all defensive structures would help a lot.
    drz1, mbusc1 and mered4 like this.
  17. jables

jables Uber Employee

Another update. We have 3 systems we'll be getting to PTE when this goes up (hoping tomorrow, but need more testing in the morning to be sure). None of those include the planet I showed on OP. It went back to drawing board.

Last note, custom metal spots still being worked on, so these will change before live based on feedback. Our designer is going to try to arrange to spectate some games as well as watch a lot of replays. Goal will be to be able to iterate on these a few times before live. They will replace current Ranked Map pool.

And now I will head home and eat dinner. :p
    pieman2906, pizwitch, cdrkf and 16 others like this.
  18. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

Holy Crap wonderful news! Thx for info,hope your dinner is fantastic!
  19. mered4

Lasagna? I hope it's Lasagna. You deserve a Lasagna.
  20. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Throw in a beer with that (remember, now that you work on PA, you can only drink IPA :) )

maybe a good whiskey will hit the spot too.
    pieman2906 and mered4 like this.