Uber Communication

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bombanater, November 10, 2014.

?

Do you think Uber has lived up to there promises of greater communication with the fanbase?

1. Yes

102 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Garat was one of the layoffs IIRC.
  2. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Ah right, that was supposed to be scathis.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I thought @varrak is still hard at work at something PA.
    @garat was part of the layoffs unfortunately.
    @chargrove .... I think his last posts were about how the work on server modding is _hard_ and he is basically working on it so much that he has no time to post. If that is still correct than I can't wait for him to actually turn up again and present what he has achieved.
    philoscience likes this.
  4. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Oh my god, yes. Absolutely.:)
    All were asking for is reasonable. Communicating to the widest possible audience is not ridiculous it is what is needed. It would deal with Peoples misconceptions and could rebuild trust. A biweekly or monthly newsletter outlining what they're currently working on and maybe what long-term goals are is not ridiculous. This is precisely what is needed to help rebuild peoples trust. With special emphasis on kickstarter commitments. The fact of the matter is if its not demonstrated its not being worked upon because we simply don't know.:)
    We don't know. He could've been laid off or working on something completely different. We just don't know.;)

edit: during the playoffs some PA staff was affected as far as I'm aware. So yeah...
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Sometimes showing people the colour of ones underwear (or lack thereof) is the only solution...
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  6. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Uber have done it yet again. Giving it's community too much of a good thing and now when thing go back to normal the community demand more.

Also talk about beating a dead horse. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't. They tried with and without a Community Manager all everyone just asks for is more.

I'd rather they spend more time on the game then on a newsletter that less than half would even read. They used to send out emails with news until they found out barley anyone was reading them.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

jepp lets layoff one of ubers co - founders .. -_-
  8. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

@DeadStretch, please look at OP messages they are only in this thread. Uber's communication is not getting out to the community as whole. If only on this forum but that doesn't matter because it's not getting in front of as many people as possible. Please read the thread before posting for greater context next time.:)
  9. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

There does not equal their, put some effort into your writing. On topic, @jables communication is top notch, it just happens to fall into a time when there is little to talk about.
  10. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I did read the thread. You guys always ask for what Uber are unwilling to give and we go over this every time. Uber can only accomplish so much with the staff they have.

"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all the time."
    cptconundrum and MrTBSC like this.
  11. cola_colin

They pleased most people who voted in the poll at least :)
  12. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

We post on the forums, send emails to our KS backers, do livestreams, participate in community run tournamnets, and most (if not all) of that ends up on Reddit. Not sure how much more we can do without going door to door.
  13. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Uber pls
    Remy561, varrak, pieman2906 and 5 others like this.
  14. cola_colin

I have time tomorrow 17:00 local time. Uber you can do it, go get some last minute flight ticket right now, you have less than 24 hours!
    pieman2906, stuart98 and proeleert like this.
  15. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

Only door to door? Let's not lower our standards. Come back when you're willing to go from person to person within a given domicile, and then I'll take it seriously. I'm still waiting for a direct neural interface, btw.
  16. jables

jables Uber Employee

I've been back and forth between those two countries too many times this year already :p

That being said, we are looking at ways to get more communication out there. One of the current thoughts is a redesign of the main menu with more easily accessible update notes/random things we want to share available to all players. Still working out design ideas on it though, so probably not until after Leaderboards.
    LmalukoBR, Murcanic, cmdandy and 10 others like this.
  17. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

A new main menu layout would be actually really awesome for news. It would be like the front page of a newspaper, since not everyone searches around the internet to find updates and progress.

EDIT: my 1001'th message :eek:
    lokiCML likes this.
  18. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Clearly in-game pop-ups are the way to go. Look for APM spikes and then hit me with a BREAKING NEWS video.
  19. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

"HAVE YOU TRIED STRATERA YET? DOWNLOAD NOW"
  20. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

It's still quite difficult to get hold of more than just you and jables, and just you two just can't respond for the entire team since it's not always your specific expertise. Just look at the modding forums, at the amount of unanswered questions regarding missing or undocumented features, structures and APIs.

There were 3 large concerns with communication:
    1. Getting a roadmap
    2. Getting feedback passed back into development
    3. Getting insight on ALL the stuff accessible to users and modders
    Two of these are covered, one is not yet.
    lokiCML likes this.