I'm considering starting up a Kickstarter Campaign of my own...

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by squishypon3, November 10, 2014.

?

Do you think you'd back this project?

1. Yes.

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Maybe, show me more details.

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. No. (Reasons below?)

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

As I'm sure at least two or ththree of you guys know, I'm considering starting up a KS campaign...

The idea? A mobile RTS game that doesn't absolutely suck. Base platform would most likely be android, as I own one, though I'm sure there'd be a stretch goal for ios, as well as possibly one for windows phone/ windows 8 touch.

The game would be a TA-like. It'd have simulated projectiles, a streaming economy, and etc... My goal is of course to get something that runs well on modern phones, and so optimizations would be key. Low res textures, models without any bottom faces (a trick I learned from TA models), and as much as is possible. The game would most certainly have a set unit cap, I may give the ability to remove it, or up it, but with severe warnings. The reason for that is of course scalability, who knows how well phones will function in the future? :p At the moment I have two models all set up. One is a totally not rip off of the Peewee, and the other is just generic tank number one. They're relatively low polly, with at most ~300 - 400 polys. (Or is that tris?) Anyway, I'll probably post pics in a bit when I'm up for it.

My original goal was going to be about 5000$. 1000 for a computer that was fast enough to render and make calculations in the engine without waiting two hours, and the rest going into buying Unity and the Android package. Though now I'm a bit more aware of some other costs I'd need to deal with, such as sound/music/whatever. Not to mention I'd get a team license so I could have a very close friend assist. My new goal would probably be up to 10,000 USD, another 2500 for IOS possible, and 2000 for windows stuffs. Suuuuper rough guesstimate btw.

Anyway, would you back it? Don't lie to me. ;)
    cdrkf and PhoneySpring646 like this.
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Ambitious goals from someone who hasn't made a game before.
  3. squishypon3

That's very presumptuous of you. ;)

Edit: Though I must admit I haven't used Unity before, I'll probably spend the next couple months learning the ins and outs of the program. Obviously I don't want to ask for money without even knowing the program I'll be working with... :p
  4. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that you didn't have to pay for unity until you actually sell the game?
  5. Devak

Devak Post Master General

My reaction toont. I would spend a couple of dozen afternoons trying to get a basic game going first.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

this
  7. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Make a good start on it so you have current ingame prealpha footage to show.
  8. squishypon3

Read above? :l
  9. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Sorry, no.
  10. squishypon3

No problem, completely understand.

Mobile games don't exactly have the best... reputation. Though I may be a bit over confident of my abilities, we'll see if I can get a nice alpha out. I'll just get myself the program for a month, either the free version, or pay for a month.

If I can prove it's possible it'd be a lot more possible to get people who can believe in the project. Because to get backers you need either... Alpha game play to show off, or a REALLY sexy trailer. :p
  11. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Everyone has to start somewhere.

All of your posts are really quite despondent.

@squishypon3 - I'd be interested in backing, but I don't really have cash to splash on (any) projects at the moment. Best of luck with the idea though, wherever it takes you!

If you ever seriously have a go at a Kickstarter, please remember that polish makes people go for you. Good artwork in your KS update/articles, video pitches, the works. People don't lie when they say managing a successful Kickstarter is a full-time job (for more than one person).
    Nicb1 and squishypon3 like this.
  12. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I'd make and release a bunch of smaller focussed, simple games first before going for a big funding push. Also remember people are horribly cynical of KS now, and that the big thing for funding is really just nostalgia and name recognition more than potential.
    I'm planning on making some basic multiplayer 2D arena game over the next year, and can probably rough out art and levels quickly in Unity and get a friend to help with scripting. Don't really need funding for that.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  13. squishypon3

I wanted to have it as a little pet project, but I just do not have the money for the program. :/

Like I said, I'll try to get as far as is possible with the free version, or possibly pay for it until I get a decent alpha out. Showcasing that it could be possible.
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

uhhmmmm

the fact that you want money, for a pc, not for paying a small monthly sum to a tech-savy pal to help code with really puts me off even though I out to want to support you. and just to feed yourself.

a beast PC isn't required anyways for making a phone app.

I think when you are a young entrepreneur you can ask the state for a pc.
  15. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Why do you assume that squishypon isn't tech-savvy?

Why do you assume that a mobile RTS game can be put-down as a "phone app"?

Geez, these kinds of attitudes always annoy me. And then people complain there's no innovation in gaming. Mobile gaming is a valid target and a valid audience. Stop discriminating, it's like the platform wars all over a-bloody-gain.
  16. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Unity is Free as far as I'm aware, with a couple less features and less publishing options, although you can still release games on it.
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

KS's have been started on shaker ground.

But yeah, we as consumers, will be rabid for you to prove your up to snuff.

As we are with uber, we will be with you.

Don't get disheartened, we only lynch people we we truly love here on the ubernet forums!
    Gorbles and cwarner7264 like this.
  18. squishypon3

Really its the very opposite of free. 1500$ for base and another 1500$ for anything extra. Or rent it for 75$ a month each IIRC. :<

Though I guess there is the free version, I'll be using it first and if I think it'd be possible with it then I'll just use the free one. :p
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I'd back it for a mid amount, with no expectations of you actually making good progress with it. I do expect you would make a functioning product eventually though. It is harder than it looks though. If it makes you feel any better, I do expect you to do a good job being an rts player. Idk why, but professional devs tend to do a nonsense job at balance and similar stuffs.
  20. squishypon3

I can understand your feelings, but I don't need small monthly fee, just one payment of 500 dollars and I can have at least two people working at the same time. I think you either overestimate my current setup or underestimate how your hardware can effect development. Compiling and/or rendering can take ages without good hardware.
    PhoneySpring646 and Gorbles like this.