ooo! icon!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, November 7, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

nevermind, it's gone, as is my joy.https://forums.uberent.com/threads/ooo-icon.65845/page-2#post-1032167/
    Last edited: March 9, 2015
    igncom1 and websterx01 like this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Cool, though stock Ubuntu with unity?! Yuck!
    nlaush and cola_colin like this.
  3. tatsujb

[​IMG]

I don't expect people to understand. :) I actually understand your stance. I may be alone in this but I actually really like the look and feel (and I think the part that has me sold the most is the window and multi-screen management. correctly pimped and it's more obscure assets put to good use, Unity is just .....OOOOOHH YEEEEAH)
    mjshorty likes this.
  4. cdrkf

I'm curious to know what Unity has that Gnome, KDE or XFE don't (I prefer the latter in the form of xUbuntu)...?

They all have multi-desktop support for example. As for window managers and such isn't most of that stuff 3rd party anyway and thus available irrespective of the desktop your using?

I mean the thing that *annoys* me about unity: No comprehensive menu for apps, instead relying on a search system. Also I'm not very impressed with them bundling Amazon results into searches directly done on the OS. If I'm searching for one of my applications I *don't* want to be fed random advertising off Amazon.
    nlaush likes this.
  5. tatsujb

amazon get's the boot next build it's been confirmed.

what does "comprehensive menu for apps, instead relying on a search system" mean? could you give an example?
    cdrkf likes this.
  6. cdrkf

Well in xubuntu for example, you have a standard 'start menu' type affair top left, where all the usable applications are listed by category. If you can't remember what you have / haven't got on the machine you can just browse through it. Similar to what Widows 7 and 10 offer (and the lack of which almost killed off Windows 8).

In Unity (when I last tried it, admittedly not recently) you have no 'full' menu like this. There is a section for commonly used applications, and you can pin things to the launcher bar, but *if* something you want isn't listed under recent or on the launcher bar, you *have* to search for it. That's not really very helpful. About the only way to see everything installed on a machine using Unity is to go into the package manager (and have to try and filter out between actual applications and all the support components etc). I just found it really unintuitive and unhelpful.
  7. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

That icon has been floating around for quite a while though, as in months. What changed that makes the icon appear for you? Did they add a .desktop file or something?

(edit: this wording sounds a bit harsh in retrospect. I'm just genuinely curious what changed)
  8. tatsujb

ok yes, I see what you mean.

actually the list is present. it's just a bit hidden and impractical anyway because of no hierarchical organisation.

but the way unity is set up makes this old method of browsing apps a bit moot.

the combination of quicklaunch and taskbar, windows style allows you to pin an unlimited number of apps (yes because you can size down and also they keep going offscreen with easy mouseover access if need be) that trim down what you want access to anyways.

other than that I've always been a believer in the synaptic approach of things (E.G. good luck winning the app launching race with mouse vs keyboard) so the ubuntu start caters to that need of mine, not only that but, and here's the important part, your last search is what opens up when you open the start menu (if you wish to reset just clear the search bar with backspace) and enter runs the first result directly.

I use this a tremendous amount. "A tad OCD and have a high tendency to close stuff (even though your 16Gig ram - 12 core - ubuntu powered system makes ever closing anything not necessary)? not a problem. ubuntu remembers what you were last doing for you just two keyboard strokes and you're right back in business." I love that!

I love that the use of multiple desktops is highly encouraged in ubuntu Unity. you could argue the same could be said for any other ubuntu but that's my stance : you have a pretty taskbar with perty icons that you can click on when they wiggle to bring you back to the respective desktop. you can also alt-tab to them. You can even set apps to move desktops for you when you get a notification.

also the panoramic view of desktops is click and drag capable.

I love the notification area (though I gather this is something all other versions of ubuntu (and subsidiaries) kept)

I'm looking into ways to turn them into active clickable elements. I already have an onclick action for them but I want to do more complex stuff with them like "open the directory or file" "forward, backwards, and pause for music"
    bigger album cover and more info.

I like that the taskbar tells you which app can use the file or data you are currently dragging by dimming the icons not concerned.

click once on icon with several open windows -> last open window.
    click again -> a "which one?" under the form of a neat carousel

click and drag to taskbar icon (not letting go) then (for multiple windows under same icon) dragging to subsequent correct window in the carousel.

also, (and this is something I've had to pimp because stock it's not unilateral) the alt menu. which is a command menu that exist for each app. (keyboard ftw xD !)

the rest of the stuff I like is stuff that's already in linux anyways like:
    • scroll wheel for different windows under the same icon.
    • some of the multi window I mentioned above
    Last edited: November 7, 2014
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. tatsujb

I knew it was for unity-only because of @SXX, yes it was missing the stupid .desktop. No, I did not expect people (nor myself) to be cool with that. most linux users will be noobs @ linux and as such will opt for ubuntu unity. (personally I can't blame them :p and I even think it's the right choice for beginners) as such I think it's fair to assume that ubuntu has the biggest userbase.

haha I may be edgy with some folk, but most certainly not with you DeathByDenim ;) the intent and attitude of your post was as clear as day to me. Don't worry, youuuuu :p.
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. cdrkf

Ah fair enough. To be honest I didn't mind unity *that much* when I tried it. I did miss the start menu option though as the problem of relying primarily on 'search' is you *have to have prior knowledge of what you want before hand*. That would be fine but often applications aren't necessarily named in a way that makes them easy to find by search- try finding 'GIMP' by searching for 'photo editor' for example (maybe this now works but it didn't when Unity was first launched).

Aside from that Ubuntu is a pretty good OS, whichever flavour you prefer. I must admit I currently don't have any version installed (recently rebuilt my machine and haven't gotten around to installing it again), though I guess I should throw a copy back on.
  11. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Ah, you'll love this then. Comes with a .deb too.

Heh, well, general rule of thumb of mine: Always read my own posts in the worst possible light and change accordingly. Written text is awful like that.
    tatsujb and cdrkf like this.
  12. tatsujb

true very true. getting onto your newfound ubuntu this can and will be tough. pass the initial steep learning curve though, and you're riding on rainbows.

you really should. :p
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. tatsujb

HOLY!!

thank you Denim!!

this is indeed something linux is *still* missing. I would fuss about it much more if I wern't realively terminal literate.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I just wonder might be it's fixed with Steam update so it's now use standard icon from other's platform version?

Don't think there was any changes in game according to SteamDB:
    https://steamdb.info/app/233250/history/

Or did you upgrade Unity or to new Ubuntu version? Might be it's finally learn to use standard icons...
  15. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

game without icon that's finished? Every udk and rpgmaker game ever. Not a big deal.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Not to mention there are actually a lot of games on Linux lacking icons. ^^;
  17. tatsujb

no update or upgrade.

papatcher terminal update simply gave it an icon.
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Interesting. Do you still have some older build saved? Or can you try older PTE?
    I just wonder what exactly changed to make that possible, but might be it's Steam runtime update...
  19. tatsujb

I have no idea and i deleted my pte and stable folders from .local because I re-downloaded with DeathByDenim's patcher afterwards. So now it's too late. but Yes, I'm quite certain that non-patched pte would not have had the icon show up.
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Any chance you can download it again and check if it's don't take too many time for you? ;)