Multi-unit transports implementation

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by emraldis, November 2, 2014.

1. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I've been thinking about the issues of multi-unit transports (mainly because I'm making an orbital-changing mod) and I think I have some ideas to address the main issues currently presented by multiple-unit transports.

1. WYSYWIG:

-The main issue here is that when you're playing zoomed-out, you can't see what a transport unit is carrying. It's hard enough to see on single-unit transports. My idea is a larger strategic icon specifically for transport units, that includes an area where loaded units would show up. For example, I've made some mock ups:
    Multi-unit air transport example full.png Multi-unit air transport example.png Multi-unit orbital transport example full mixed.png Multi-unit orbital transport example.png

here we can see the hypothetical multi-unit air and orbital transports. They both have space for unit icons to appear in when the units load into the transport, and it is fairly easy to see which units are inside.

2. Commands (area load and unload/ferrying)

-I think the area load/unload commands are currently an issue because they pick up ANY unit within the area. I believe this should instead function more like the unit selection function. It picks up the units which are in majority in the area. IE, if there are more fabbers, the transports will pick up the fabbers, if there are more combat units, then the transports will pick up the combat units.

-Ferrying commands should work similarly, except the type should remain persistent. IE if you area ferry a whole bunch of combat units, then the combat units will be transported normally. If by accident a whole lot of fabbers enter the ferry order's area, they will not be picked up, as the initial order was for combat units, not fabricators.

3. Actual implementation

-It seems to me like this is pretty possible already, the only thing that's an issue is the above two, and that I don't think the loaded units can be attached to multiple bones yet, rather than each unit overlapping on the same bone.

If I missed anything/got any mistakes, let me know and I can fix/think about them. Otherwise, what do you guys think?
    tenaciousc, nlaush, Remy561 and 13 others like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Wow, the WYSIWYG idea is simply genius, looks perfect. Uber pls, at least for us modders. ;D
    emraldis likes this.
  3. emraldis

I was wondering if perhaps @sorian , @jables or @bgolus or one of the other devs could take a look at this idea, and give me more of a clear picture as to the issues regarding multi-unit transport implementation, most of the problems I'm aware of I've found through hearsay... :D
    Remy561, squishypon3 and Nicb1 like this.
  4. iron71

iron71 Member

This idea is perfect :D I love the icon ideas.
    emraldis likes this.
  5. emraldis

I'm surprised no one thought of this earlier...
  6. void2258

void2258 Member

Multiunit INTERPLANETARY transports would be a huge help, especially if they can orbital drop (so the units they are carrying are not instagibbed during deorbit like ca currently happen with astreaus). Aside from that, the way ferrys worked in SupCom is what we should have here.
  7. emraldis

they were originally planned, but for reasons I assume are similar to/the same as the ones I mentioned, they haven't been implemented, or even extensively worked on AFAIK.
  8. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Has to be upvoted...
  9. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

YES. Excellent idea emraldis!
    Really hoping that uber takes a look at your idea soon. single unit transports should simply not exist in a game this large scale.

Time to start modelling that multiunit carrier :)
    emraldis likes this.
  10. m1dnightmoose

m1dnightmoose Active Member

Always thought this would be useful, can't wait for some mass unit drop strats. Also how many units do you think they should carry?

<3

The model would be great if it were something like this
    [​IMG]
    Yes its star wars and yes its awesome.
  11. emraldis

probably ~ 5 to 10 depending on how they implement the strategic icons.
  12. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

5 to 10 units is nothing even if there t2 better not be to expensive, the planet your invading will likely have hundreds of units and defenses......right?
  13. radongog

NoNoNoNoNo, you miss the problem:
    SingleUnitTransports HAVE to exist in a game this scale so you can do real crazy puncture attacks!
    But: We need MultiUnitTransportUnits as well and what´s presented here so far sounds quite nice!
    igncom1 likes this.
  14. radongog

Awesome, but not so much WYSIWYG anymore.Should more look like this one in space-style...
    http://spotonlists.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/black-mamba-roller-coaster.jpg

And remember: Although the interfacial improvements WOULD make anything easier to see, Uber should try to do as much WYSIWYG as possible, it´s one of the key features of the game!
  15. emraldis

Nah man, this is where it's at: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Grey-Knights/THUNDERHAWK-TRANSPORTER-WITH-RHINOS.html
  16. radongog

Interesting and somehow suiting, you´re right!
  17. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

the strategic icon stuff isn't the problem at all imo .. its the smallest of problems ... the challange is to have the units be "hooked"/fused on the transports then defused .. allong with assisting factory and ferry features ..
    what ammount of what unitypes from a unitpile to pick up shouldnt matter to a transport
    i think it is rather a problem which units go to which transporthook the fastest ... that is were the units need to coordinate themselves were i think is the trickier part than with singleunittransports
  18. emraldis

Couldn't the transport just grab the nearest as long as they fit? You could implement something like "take the biggest units first" and then load all units one at a time, but fairly quickly. This way the transport can calculate how "full" it is before it can pick up the next unit.
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

ICONS:

this does not "look perfect".

if icons in PA were a reasonable size you could pull it off but this is just ridiculous.

Have you any idea what kind of screen real-estate this represents in a game with thousands upon thousands of units?

Uber'd do this I'd mod it right out. for me and any interested.

multi-unit transport in general :

**** yeah! been a long time coming!
  20. emraldis

This icon is only twice the size of normal in-game icons. It honestly does not take up much more space than normal icons. That said, do you have any suggestions as to how one would go about it otherwise? Also note that these units would likely not be over top of tanks for the most part so when it is important to see what's coming, you'd generally be able to make it out. If you weren't able to make it out, the units would be so dense that you couldn't make out any ground units anyway, so there wouldn't really be too big of a difference IMO.