Yo Dawg I Herd You Liek Experimentals

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, November 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

But I thought that kind of effect was only available for planets? So you can actually cut part of planet out when a normal unit type explodes?
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

If you feel like it. You even make projectiles do it. :p
  3. christer1966

christer1966 Member

So was this was the big surprise that Statera was in stall for?
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

No, this currently is completely unrelated to Statera. I'm unsure if I want it to be merged into Statera. At the moment I'm going no as this is really just some fun stuff that I'm not too interested in trying to balance into something that already features 80+ distinct units. I might be able to be persuaded, but I'll need some pretty good arguments.
  5. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

I want a turn to play ;-;
  6. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

Its not questionable at all, really.

On topic:
    At first, I thought; "This is going to be dumb."

Then I looked. And i was impressed. Download links, please? For uhmmm....reasons. Yknow. Totally innocent things.

[​IMG]
  7. squishypon3

zx0 is going to help me finish up the megabot model I made months ago, rig and texture it specifically. So, it's a possibility?

(I'd rather make our own models though, using commander models feels... Cheap.)
    Nicb1 and igncom1 like this.
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

You could always cannibalise models to make abominations.

That could save time while also creating "new" unit models.
  9. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I don't see the issue. They've been re-purposed as units, adding to the variety of models available for the game. Since Uber isn't adding anymore base units, rescaling and retexturing commander models is the best way to mod more variety into the game. I was just thinking about this the other day and I def. think it is a good move.
  10. philoscience

How long until this goes up as a WIP mod? Can't wait to play with it.
  11. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I want to get an artillery tank, which should allow for rudimentary balance. Right now sniper bots are a better choice than experimentals.
  12. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

If you happened to back PA and $1000+ you get a custom commander. That is something Uber said they would make for you and only you. Now someone comes along and uses your commander in there own mod. You own commander is no longer unique, even worse, it's being mutilated.

I just think it's kinda bad that people are breaking Uber's promise to the very high tear backers, while also using someone else's property without consent.

If you want more units in the game, bug Uber about it or make them yourself. But don't take from others without consent.
  13. killerkiwijuice

Yeah I agree.

Stuart I think the best option would be to edit the models in Blender so they don't look like the original commanders.
    carn1x likes this.
  14. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Also perhaps @KNight could donate one of his commander concepts as a super unit?
    carn1x likes this.
  15. philoscience

They don't own those models. They own the exclusive right to use them as commanders. That means avatar and unit as commander. Nothing else is promised and nothing else is even doable if you want offline. It is literally impossible to prevent this unless uber returns to an approach of hosting the servers exclusively.
    jeffwadsworth likes this.
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Just because you can do something does not mean you should do it. The 1k backers paid for those models to be made, the fact if they are "commanders" or not is irrelevant. They own the rights on them. You don't. It's as simple as that.
    ooshr32, carn1x and liquius like this.
  17. killerkiwijuice

I don't think it's a thing of legality, it's concerning moral.
  18. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

Uber had to choose between DRM and modding. They picked modding knowing full well that they would run into this situation at some point down the line. All they can do is ask nicely for you not to do it.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  19. squishypon3

Agreed, it'd be a different story if it were just some random model they had left behind and chose not to use, but the exclusive commanders? That's just dirty. :/
    carn1x likes this.
  20. philoscience

Considering there are no real legal, financial, or moral ramifications I honestly don't care at all. I'm not hurting them by using a player made mod that uses those base models in a novel way. They can still use them in an exclusive way that I can't - i.e. as commanders on non-modded servers. I can also play them offline. It is not like there is some moral imperative keeping me from playing them in offline mode just because they paid for them. It's a video game. A 3D model is a 3d model. They don't actually own any 'rights' whatsoever; they have an agreement with uber to use them as limited access commanders. If using them in mods was a breach of a legally established right, then Uber would currently be exposed to serious liability which is clearly not the case considering they released offline servers. Again, as many fail to understand, Kickstarter is in no way a legally binding contract beyond the vague promise in the ToS to provide backer awards as promised. There is no route for legal recourse.

As for moral arguments... yeah it's a 3D model for a small indie RTS game. We're not taking food off anyone's table by using them. I'm not going to lose a hint of sleep over it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.