Uber layoffs information

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 30, 2014.

1. jables

jables Uber Employee

Hey there,

As noted in a few threads, Uber has recently gone through some lay offs. It is painful to lose anyone from a team as tight as the Uber family, so know this was not done lightly. We are currently in the process of helping all those affected find new jobs.

As for how this affects PA. We will continue our current path to hit all of our goals, and make the game as amazing as we know it can be. You will continue to see updates from us on the forums, as well as our streams and video updates to keep communication flowing. The overall PA update goals will remain the same, though with less people in the studio (this did hit a few of our PA staff) some things may not make it out as fast as we scheduled before. The point I want to make is, we as a company are still dedicated to bring you the game we all know PA can be, and will do everything we can to continue developing down that path. Thank you all for your patience and understanding while we go through this transition.
    dukyduke, drz1, sierra159 and 21 others like this.
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It's sad to see these people go. We all wish them the best and hope that they can find time to still be a part of this community.
    lokiCML, sierra159, stuart98 and 8 others like this.
  3. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

Let's buy some commanders ppl, I imagine a little extra income and job security would be a breath of fresh air to the remaining staff!

Tomorrow night I'm picking three commanders and will be displaying them in the new ladder.

That is if it's not delayed...........

:oops:
    stuart98, brandonpotter and Remy561 like this.
  4. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I was afraid this would happen after the HR failure. I hope the best for all those who are involved.
  5. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Hope you guys find other jobs. Uber has been and still is the best game studio out there. So happy to have had you as part of the family :)
  6. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

so...was brad really one of them?
  7. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

:(

Keep up the good work Uber. Jabels - you're a cool guy.
  8. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I'm afraid so :(
    If you read his twitter:
    https://twitter.com/nicholsonb/status/527283627113984002

But I understand their choice, I think he is not that useful for developing videogames. Atleast it seems he sometimes lacks 'engineering' knowledge and it seems Jables took his place for managing the community.
    eroticburrito, ooshr32 and Planktum like this.
  9. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

While I'm sad to see Brad go as I liked him as a person and his style in general, I do have to say that it makes a lot of sense. Although I don't see behind the scenes to know what his other roles were, he definitely wasn't engaging enough with the community in a meaningful way.

I'll miss him quite a bit though, and I wish him, and everyone else the best of luck in finding new positions.
  10. enderdude

enderdude Member

We will all miss brad, but we will remember him in our hearts *looks up and to the left*
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  11. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Nooooooooo. Everyone, but not Brad! :(
  12. felipec

felipec Active Member

So, who else from PA team?
  13. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

That's a shame. I hope that they all do well, and Uber continues to do well enough to keep on going. Sorry to see you guys go.
  14. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

wha...

what

WHAT :eek::eek:

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooo...... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( who's gonna say BOOM now?

I fear for Uber's future... Pray that a miracle happens... Let's hope it doesn't end up poorly. :oops:
  15. harrierx

harrierx Member

This is really sad. It's a somewhat surprising that anyone voluntarily works in the computer game industry.
    Bsport likes this.
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I've though the same and took a "learning programmer" job at a place that makes business software after I left school for 3 years. It's nice and probably pretty secure work. In fact when I was finished with school I thought "games sounds fun, but is too unsecure".
    By now I actually think that's not that much of an issue. Self confidence dictates that an "unstable" workplace doesn't matter actually if you are skilled enough to either find another unsecure spot or start working for some business software company instead as a fallback.
    I've started studying informatics now, because I want to further increase my knowledge so my self confidence is justified, but once I am finished with that I think I'll definitely take a good look around and probably might end up trying to apply to some games companies as well. Simply because I think it's fun.

Ofc that all does not change the fact that having to leave a nice company like Uber sucks.
  17. harrierx

harrierx Member

Good! Not only because you learn stuff and will later get better jobs (at least in Germany), but also and in particular because you get to meet many likeminded and talented people! Enjoy your time at the Uni and don't waste too much time on PA ;)

One of the best things about studying computer science at university is that you can do internships every summer. Use that opportunity to get to know several different kind of companies!

And then don't join the game industry. Why would you voluntarily work for half the money twice as hard with little chance for any kind of stable career? There are alternatives to boring business software jobs besides game development. You can always do some modding on your weekends if you still feel that itch...
    Last edited: October 30, 2014
    Quitch likes this.
  18. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Good luck guys, and thanks for all your hard work.
    shotforce13, cptconundrum and cdrkf like this.
  19. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

Is Scathis still here? It sounded like he was going to be the lead on Human Resources, but then the Kickstarter didn't work. Hopefully he is still working with a couple people to try and make Human Resources a thing.
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Man.. It just feels weird to me, because I just imagine Brad's face, and the conversation, like- rrrgh... I feel so bad! Dang empathy! XD
    Remy561 and optimi like this.