Lava Biome Has No Lava

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Tomasina, October 28, 2014.

1. Tomasina

Tomasina Member

Is it no longer possible to create a lava biome with lots of lava? I have not played with the system editor in a while, and noticed that when I try to create a lava planet that there are only a few cracks with lava. I have tried numerous settings and seeds, but am not getting any luck.

Thanks!
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Water height controls the lava height on those planets. you can edit the height range to make more hills and valleys if you need lakes of lava. If that's still not working, try some different seeds.
  3. Tomasina

Tomasina Member

The Water Height slider did not work, but I was able to enter a value in the box and get the desired result.

Thanks!
  4. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Lava? You mean the decal on the ground? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Remy561, Twinstar, tatsujb and 3 others like this.
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Texture* ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)つ
    Remy561, tatsujb, squishypon3 and 2 others like this.
  6. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

It's a texture on a surface. A decal (texture). I just excluded the "texture" in the name, which is fine (I guess).
  7. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

More interactive lava would be nice, but there's so many other things in the balance/post-release polish pipeline that it's not likely soon...

I still want cool structures you can build on top of volcanoes. :(
    lafncow likes this.
  8. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

thermalplants?
  9. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I'd like the lava to actually look like lava heh...
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

[​IMG]

To be honest, it's not as far off as you might think.
    Remy561 likes this.
  11. killerkiwijuice

but.....

my ram (ಥ﹏ಥ)
  12. igncom1

Im not turning the lava texture into a animated gif or like, an actual prop will eat THAT much ram.
  13. killerkiwijuice

wot

you can make textures gifs?
  14. igncom1

Uber is the one making the engine, so they can if they wanted to.

Not sure if we can.
  15. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

its pretty far off that.. there is no lighting what so ever currently... its just an orange mess, that picture you showed here really has some great yellow/white bright-out to it... I'll give a couple more examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This concept art is absolutely terrific... it really makes the lava pop out, the bloom on the lava is just fantastic!! Yes of course its never going to look exactly like a photo realistic lava picture, but it could look sooooo much better then it does currently.... Just fixing the lighting on it would go such a long way.... adding bloom or something... just make it look like its boiling hot of temperatures exceeding 1000 degrees C...
  16. burnttost

burnttost New Member

My lava texture is just a white blob on the ground, how can I fix? Capture.JPG
  17. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Updating the drivers for your graphics card should do the trick.

(Edit: Oh, I just noticed you said you already did that in the mapping subforum. Could you start a new thread in the Support subforum and post your DxDiag.txt there? You can make one by pressing <WinKey>+R, typing "dxdiag" and pressing "Save All Information...". You can the upload the resulting file in your new thread using the "Upload a File" button on this forum.)
  18. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Actively volcanic planets confirmed
  19. doud

doud Well-Known Member

From the concept art, there's a really cool thing i miss : elevation of borders. Same as for non lava biomes where it would be nice to have real elevated "coasts" where units can't pass through. This would, without any doubt, bring additional strategy. But as far as i understood, the relief is created by CSG put on top of the sphere, so i don't know if it's really feasible since we have a few CSG only. And this make me wonder if Uber could provide some kind of additional CSV sets (with customizable height, but the height would be the same for the entire CSG) that could be put next to each other (perfectly fitting) so that we could build more refined planets. I was thinking about CSG with hexagonal shape (not perfectly hexagonal but i guess you get the idea of these bricks that we could put next to each other).
    ace63 and stuart98 like this.
  20. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Moving textures are done with scripting and I doubt we can add that. To move a texture on a mesh you move it on the UV-space of a model. Or a seperate shader like the lava and water currently use.

wait.. Tracks from tanks rotate IIRC. so it maybe is possible.