Map control not comfortable like on rectangular maps.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by icehole, October 23, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I've actually tried and mercator is completely useless as it does not show the poles in any useful way at all.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-alerts-minimap.64595/page-2#post-1014777
  2. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Mercator does break down at the poles, however I think that it's easy enough to understand that anything at the top of the map is at the north pole, and anything at the bottom is at the south pole. No projection is perfect, but mercator is a pretty good choice, where the downsides are easy to deal with.
  3. cola_colin

Yeah it depends on the map. If something important is at the poles then mercator may not be the best choice for example, as mercator in fact does not show the poles at all.
  4. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I don't think the area that is not properly represented is large enough to be bothered with, so the downside here is essentially nil. Just move anything above that latitude down until it is on the top edge so it can be shown on the map.
  5. cola_colin

I've had whole spawn markers disappear completely due to them being at the north pole :p
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

@bmb Cola has actually made a minimap, so he knows of what he speaks, heh. Mercator is simply the worst choice. (Okay maybe not worst, dat Waterman butterfly)

Some projections are better than others, mercator is worse.
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

What if we project it onto a sphere?

Wait...
    MrTBSC and kayonsmit101 like this.
  8. squishypon3

By Science you are a genius!
    meir22344 and Geers like this.
  9. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

The Spherical minimap could be in the lower left-hand corner of the screen and be able to turn independent of the main camera (no this would not be the same as a PIP screen it would only show icons not units)
  10. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

http://www.progonos.com/furuti/MapProj/Normal/ProjNav/projNav.html#Mercator

It is not widely used in the real world just for fun and games. There's always going to be problem areas, having those at the poles is not a bad thing.
  11. squishypon3

It's just because it's simple, it's simple and recognizable. The mercator is a terrible projection and frankly I hope it's not taught any longer. Do you know how long I thought Greenland was as big as Africa?... Too long, because nobody teaches of it's horrible warping. There are many better choices than mercator, here I can even give one.

[​IMG]
    Equal area projections, hopefully the future.
  12. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

As far as getting an overview or navigating how is that better? It's going to make it harder to relate shapes in the 3D view to the minimap when it's not conformal.

All this africa-size **** is totally unrelated. Nobody who knows anything about maps thought greenland was bigger than africa, or ever promoted the idea. That kind of map generally isn't all that useful.
    And don't bring that kind of petty politics into PA please.
    http://modifiedmercator.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/the-implications-of-mapmaking-mercator-vs-peters/
  13. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

You don't seem to understand.
    We should get a mod out so everyone who insist these flat mini maps will be so much more superior can just stop it already. You all act like size and shape don't matter.. but it really really does. Distortion is not what we need at all. We already have the solution.
  14. cola_colin

It does matter if you have never seen the map before. If you have played dozens or even more games on the map already you will be able to relate locations on the minimap to locations on the 3D sphere, at that point distortions are little more than annoying.
    People can learn that much, don't underestimate your own brain :p
  15. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Having a variety of projection options is fine, I'm just saying all this mercator hate is totally unfounded.
    cola_colin likes this.
  16. cola_colin

I didn't want to come of as hating mercator, I guess I chose drastic words. I've tried a lot of projections which names I've never heard before and for any map I tried so far mercator was always ... not very good. Having a lot of options is key ofc.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  17. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The enemy's gate is down.
    Obscillesk likes this.