[REQ] Infinite Build on by Default

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by brianpurkiss, September 20, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm surprised this hasn't been made already. Would be really really useful.
  2. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

You are right. The one-off builds are the exception and those I can just queue via Control Key.
  3. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

I tried having a look at it when someone from one of the balance mod suggested to look at nuke / AN launchers which have the same mechanic, but I didn't manage to get it working. Mainly because it's not just an option, but you have to specify a unit to start building with (like nuke/AN missiles). I may try harder.
  4. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

What if you started and order and instalty stopped production? Do that when the blueprint first materialises and there should be little way for the human to interefere (as it happens before the frame where the blueprint appears).
    Afaik Hotkeys 2 did something like that for walls around turrets.
  5. Fr33Lancer

My skills are currently limited to edit json (or similar like *.pfx) files ;)
    I just figured out why everything I tried before doesn't work, it was because I was thinking "UI Mod" ...
    Modifying the json work, but as a Server Mod, which is definitely not ideal (attached anyway, for what it's worth) :
    1. Multi : Not everyone may want this behaviour. And you need to be the host to have it working.
    2. Single : Quick test shows it works in Skirmish, but not GW
    I didn't enabled auto factory lately, but it would be definitely a nice option in that mod (Paging its mastermind @trialq)

Attached Files:

6. wondible

wondible Post Master General

GW may work as a client mod. It should be possible to do something card-like if not, perhaps the prototype starting loadout.
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  7. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I too would like this feature/mod. Trying to rely less on modbatch and use loop. Good for mixing in fabbers and anti air etc into your armies.
  8. trialq

trialq Post Master General

I made a simple version which should suffice, now on PAMM. It spams the 'make selection use continuous build' function 4 times a second.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Maybe you could limit that to only spamming the function call while a factory is selected and further optimize it to only spam like 3 times for each factory. I think you get the unique unit id in the selection so that should be possible.
    Though that's just making it a little nicer internally, I guess the blind approach works as well :p
  10. trialq

I'm guessing minimising the amount of engine calls would be ideal, I'll bite that bullet properly with a live list of factory ids if it becomes an issue.

But now you've got me looking at model.selection(), it seems inevitable that I'll implement it just for fun.
    squishypon3 and cptconundrum like this.
  11. trialq

v1.02: Re-implemented to be more efficient engine call wise, without resorting to recording the unique ids of all factories. The sorting and binary searching required by the unique id way is messier than I could be bothered with.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  12. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

My experience with this mod has been that it "sticks", so infinite build is immediately turned back on if I try to turn it off for one of my factories. Is this intended behavior?
  13. zihuatanejo

I never turn it off!
  14. Fr33Lancer

If you ever need to do a one time job (like build one fabber in a factory on infinite dox / ant), use the prioritized queue (Hold Ctrl + choose the unit you want), it will produce it as soon as current unit is finished.
  15. trialq

It's not smart, it just sets the mode of a factory to continuous whenever you select a factory that is not in continuous mode. Allowing users to turn off continuous build would take a more complicated solution, that I'm too lazy to implement.
  16. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

Yeah, I understand that as a work-around and maybe I could get used to it, but in a game where seconds count, having a button not do what I expect it to is too distracting for me. I love the idea of this mod, I wish Uber would build it in the right way. Even if it's not for me right now, mad props to trialq for making it! :)
  17. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

Just came to report that I had to uninstall this mod because it can't be turned off. If I try to make a fac finite build it just instantly swaps back to infinite. Not usable for me. I would prefer infinite on by default and that's it, all other behavior normal.
  18. zihuatanejo

I would prefer that too, but I haven't encountered this because I've never needed to turn it off!
  19. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

20. trialq

Squads as in a few as and when you need them? Hold control to priority queue some units, and they also won't be part of the infinite build.
    bsergent likes this.