Current work update

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 22, 2014.

?

Are these kind of posts useful? (thinking every two weeks or so to keep updates flowing)

1. yay, you are actually sharing info in a useful way (but I may have still left feedback below)

99.3%
  2. yeah this isn't so useful, and I have posted feedback below (please leave feedback below :) )

0.7%
  1. nlgenesis

nlgenesis Member

This is great Jables! Reassuring that things are happening, and makes me excited for the future by giving me something to look forward to!

A question though:
    If I want to make a suggestion for a feature (SupCom style Factory-assist) that I think would make managing Factories significantly smoother, but at the same time is probably super-simple to implement, what is the best place to do it?
    I realize stuff like this doesn't have a high priority, but it seems like a small job that leads to a concrete and significant improvement.
  2. jvickers

jvickers Member

I think the part of the game that needs the most improvement now is the lobby system. Today the wait was exceptionally long, over a minute before the games all showed up at once.

It's the kind of thing that makes the game look broken, and those who don't know the lobby can take a very long time may think that it's empty, and quit. I was even having doubts today about if there were any games there.

Is the lobby being worked on too? It's one of the more boring seeming parts of the game to announce improvements to, but I think it should be a high priority and am interested in knowing if it's being worked on but was not mentioned here.

My suggestion is to make it so that all available games show within 0.5s of loading the lobby screen - preferably faster still. There is some impressive (almost) real-time code for the game itself, it would be good if the same standards of responsiveness were applied to the lobby as well.
    raphamart, warrenkc and Quitch like this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yeah that gzip support really... should be fixed within an hour or so. It's beyond me why that has not yet been fixed. Does Uber not have to pay for that bandwidth?
    ace63, tatsujb, squishypon3 and 4 others like this.
  4. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

If X and Y look bad, you're likely going to see "nobody is searching right now", which is also discouraging.
    warrenkc likes this.
  5. cola_colin

If you want to play a 1vs1 you would make a lobby instead if you think the ranked search is bad. Which is practically the same thing compared to clicking "search now", if search now puts a visible notice right next to the list of games. If people understand that they will be likely to just click search ranked instead.
    Also people don't notice the absence of a notice as much as they notice a notice "1 games in your skill level has been played in the last 168 hours".
  6. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

I have never seen such an emphatic poll result.
    raphamart and cdrkf like this.
  7. harrierx

harrierx Member

What gzip support are you referring to?
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

That one 'no' result though...

like the one 'nay' in a large crowd...

I can see that person now, in a dark room illuminated by an eery green glow from a single computer screen, laughing mechanically with evil intent......

Edit: I really need to cut back on the horror shows :p
  9. harrierx

harrierx Member

I find the pastats notice "Somebody is searching for a ranked game at your skill level right now" in the multiplayer lobby extremely helpful. Hopefully there will be more 1v1 players using the official matchmaking system than using pastats, but even then there will probably be slow times where such a notice can be quite helpful.
    Last edited: October 23, 2014
    totalannihilation and cdrkf like this.
  10. cola_colin

One of the things that faster server browser fixed. The playfab webservices do support gzip, but PA uses a build in curl to query them without accepting gzip. This leads to a massive bandwidth usage especially in the list of games, which means if your internet is slow that listing is simply overloading your whole internet.
    squishypon3 and warrenkc like this.
  11. steambirds

steambirds Member

On the topic of lore: I think SolitaryCheese should be the new Uber lore writer! :p
  12. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

I second the motion!
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  13. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

will you guys switch the mountains and platues back to the old versions? where they where much bigger and stood out more? because that just simply looked better but was told it sucked on pathfinding =P
    stuart98 and totalannihilation like this.
  14. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

Adding to that, there was a time where you could actually build towers and pelters above the higher plateaus, any plan on bringing that back?
    lafncow likes this.
  15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I could probably grab the old meshes and make a mod to bring them back. I wonder if the recent pathfinding changes can now cope with them.
    totalannihilation and websterx01 like this.
  16. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

just to know what you mean w/ "Additional Controls for landing zones"
  17. rell2g

rell2g New Member

Would have liked to see more units and save game on that list an what about the unit cannon? Just make it A planet cannon like the one in supcom2 until you can make it shoot into space? :cool:
  18. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

Right now, you can control the number of spawns generated per army, but you can't control where they will be
    Gerfand likes this.
  19. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

The list is only the short term things they are currently working on; it does not include every feature they are developing.
    ooshr32 likes this.
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

*cough*I totally didn't already make one.*cough*
    Raevn likes this.