Met a guy at school who plays PA....here's what he thinks about the game

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Tormidal, October 21, 2014.

1. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

So, I was chilling in the TV lounge at school with a few buddies, we were playing some League, and I notice out of my eye, some guy was playing PA. So I chatted him up, and asked him what he thought of the game.

More or less; to sum it up:

He doesn't look at the forums. He doesn't know Uber's past and their future plans(In general and PA).
    But he loves the game. He has well over 100 hours on it(according to Steam). He didn't mind the lack of Offline mode to begin with. He didn't mind the lack of asteroids. Or the unit cannon. Or the fact that Naval sucks. He said he was 100% satisfied with buying your game, Uber.

I just thought that you guys at Uber would appreciate knowing that there are people out there who go into your game, and play them without any pre-existing thoughts or expectations. And then enjoy them. Thoroughly. For 100 hours.

Cheers! :)
    Gorbles, lafncow, tollman and 29 others like this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

holly **** man (sorry not the post, your sig) ! WTF is that rig *drools* ! GIMMEH!
    tollman and zihuatanejo like this.
  3. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Yep, look at my friends list:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/icycalm/friends/

More than half of those people play PA, most of them because I told them to. None of them read the forums. Everyone has tons of respect for the game and Uber. Hardly 3 or 4 of them even have a clue what the "Unit Cannon" is (and then only because I told them about it). Nobody cares about online only since we only play online anyway.
  4. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

You guys play pc games at school?!

I mean, you guys have computers that can actually run games?!

Jeez, these things at my school can barely run tetris. :p And every year they keep saying 'we got some new more advanced computers!' Although the latest ones are able to run minecraft, at 2fps. So that's an improvement.
  5. fredegar1

fredegar1 Member

University most likely. Although in my high school days, about a fifth of the school was running Minecraft on their school-issued MacBooks.
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Maybe forums brainwash people.

o_O:eek:o_O
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

:p Back in my day I managed to persuade my school to let me run a lan party in the it lab to raise money for a charity drive they were doing. £1 a session to play quake 2 over lan every lunch time for about 3 months, made quite a bit actually.... Shame they wouldn't let it continue (apparently they felt we needed to get 'fresh air' and 'exercise'...)
    squishypon3 likes this.
  8. stonewood1612

Yah, I'd figure. We do have a lounge, with a big TV, soccer table, darts wall, etc.... No decent pc though. So it's pretty old skool at my place. Some people do bring their iPads for playing video games together. So far, I know 0 people at school who play PA. Some have heard of it though. There really aren't any people who play rts games these days.

Anyway, you do need a decent pc to run PA in the first place, so I'm still pretty stunned surprised that they have such hardware at a school university.
  9. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Jup my university laptop can run this game easily on medium graphics ;)
    High graphics destroy my framerate when too many units are on the screen.
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Ew, fresh air?!
    xankar, Nicb1, nateious and 3 others like this.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

ikr? better get pure oxygen :p
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Try games like Quake 3. Those worked even many years ago. I can remember we played it, some teacher came in and all but one person quickly alt+f4'ed. That one person was kinda deep in the game and went "why are you disconnecting?!" with the teacher right behind his back :D
  13. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I'm running PA on a laptop I got for uni, think it cost me £400?

I run everything on lowest graphics settings, but at full resolution, and only really big planets or systems with more than 5-6 planets cause me any problems at all. I maintain the main problem with performance in PA is people insist on playing on systems that are just too big. Although I think the fix is down to Uber to tweak the UI to discourage huge systems, not on the people who play them.
  14. stonewood1612

Well, the latest computers have an i7 processor, I think 4gb ram, and they do things pretty smoothly. Though I will never know how good they are at playing games, since applications like that are blocked on startup, by the network, so none of the computers on school allow it, unless you can hack trough it. But last time someone tried that, the internet went bust for multiple days...:oops: So that's the issue on my side, it doesn't matter how good the pc is, games are blocked anyway. Webbrowser games though... ;)

So why don't we slowly shove this thread into the unrelated forum and have a talk about playing video games on school.:p /s
  15. allister

allister Active Member

Reminds me of me. What country you guys in? I've never met anyone else who plays RL.
  16. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

How interesting! however that is just one person, about half my freinds either like PA or hate it =P
  17. superouman

superouman Post Master General

I converted a friend yesterday.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  18. raphamart

raphamart Member

My brother has never read this forum and he has tons of fun with PA. Not all is just darkness.
  19. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Nice post, nice rig!
    Gorbles likes this.
  20. fuzzels

fuzzels Member

Reminds me of the time kicking the silly people who where playing console games off the "brand new" 15 inch screens that actually where able to do gfx mode, so that we could actually play Duke Nukem on it ;)