I hate Galactic War

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nestar2, October 14, 2014.

1. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Hopefully the moddabilty of PA proves flexible enough that the community can improve or reinvent galactic war. Whilst it's not as good as I imagined, I'm glad they've built some form of metagame that we can hopefully build upon. Now all we need is for the multiplayer component :D
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

....but reasons that I can. Trust me I've been there.

we all have. mostly.

anyways my point is you should open up.

you can take it step by step.

first face the ai off.

then face it of with a friend on your side and maybe even another AI on your side.

then take that friend's advice on how to play the game. from there on it should be smooth. Interact with the community more.
  3. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Yes, galactic war is harder. Simply because you don't have access to all tech and have limited control over where to fight. That is it's purpose, a harder gamemode then skirmish.
    It is a Roguelike if you have ever seen one.

Overall advanced orbital is not that usefull. I can kill the enemy using astreus a cheap spysats+nukes. Indeed I am beter off doing that then trying my hand at orbital invasions.
    Some fringe cases (like the enemy com and my support com being locked in a struggle on the planet) aside, I do not even bother with interplanetary transporters. If I do, I usualyl jsut rush a fabber in astreus over to errect a TP beachhead and enter the groundgame/air game on that planet.

Currently interplanetary invasions are not as viable as they could be. There are severalo proposed solutions (Unit cannon, IP Multiunit Transporter), but either of those takes thier time to implement.
  4. nestar2

nestar2 Member

I know there are ways to go round do not having Orbital Tech. But there is just no fun. Hoping that a lousy Portal does make it, or sending massive troops down which you are building up cost you ages of time - it is boring.
    And why not play good battle again? Oh you cannot either you loose or you win.
    And do not tell me that all activity is not logged in every detail!

I really do not know why games (including GW) have to be so close to life. You make a choice you loose you loose it all. No options left. Hell, it is still supposed to be a game!

Certainly all answers I have read do have a point which is ok. Except yours. If I do not have enough time to complete a full battle like my girlfriend is a bit early I would rather play with her and not with GW and still be able to save it. That is the difference between a game and life and if you do not understand that you are pretty poor.
  5. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

"GW is the hard for me"
    Answer: Then do not play it.
    GW is entirely optional. Even playing beyond Normal AI (quite easily beatable once you figured it out) is optional. Normal does not even build nukes with same planet spawn.

Or at least do not play it unmodded:
    The two "Section of ..." mods can reveal tech and the enemies to be expected in a system. Wich greately reduces the chance to run into 1vs4 and ups the chance of getting the right tech.
    If that is still to hard for you, GW is simply not the right gamemode for you. The average player finds GW as it is okay. And they do not have to make the perfect gamemode for you. Making the right gamemodes for the average player is much more important.

Hit the Pause button. The game pauses. Not sure when logout due to inactivity happens (if it ever happens with local games).
    Alternatively hit Alt+F4.
    Games taking even 1 hour of SimTime are incredibly rare.
    carn1x likes this.
  6. Arklon

Arklon New Member

Unless you just start a new Galactic War on small size (so there are only a couple planets you can explore right off the bat), don't find orbital tech, then the first system you fight on is the one with three planets that all have sparse metal deposits, and the AI spawns on a different planet. The AI had air tech and spammed bombers, so making a teleporter with no Anchor backup wasn't going to happen. I pretty much had the game won by 15 minutes since I controlled 2 of the 3 planets, but it still took forever to make a nuke because of how sparse the metal deposits were, even with T2 extractors. It took an hour before I finally killed the AI with nukes.

Instantly abandoned that war after, and rerolled uber-sized galactic wars over and over until I got some OP starting tech combo, and proceeded to steamroll by Anchor rushing the AI over and over.
  7. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Unless you really, really try hard, of course.

It is a common mistake to try a small war first. Did the same. Got killed. Rerolled a larger one. Only been playing larger ones since then.
    Might try a small one for the added tech difficulty.
  8. genouious

genouious Member

Playing through the largest map size of galactic war on hard difficulty i have found that simply finding a small unoccupied moon/asteroid and locking it down seems to thwart the enemy AI, at this stage. From this stage i just build four nuclear missile structures and barrage any planet i think has a commander. Failing that halleys are a nice alternative, if possible of course.
  9. Arklon

Arklon New Member

Not really. When you don't have orbital tech your only option is to load a fabricator into a transport and try to use it to build a teleporter, but when the AI already has dozens of bombers ready (despite me getting a really fast orbital launcher) you simply can't do that, you must have Anchor(s) to hold your beachhead for more than 3 seconds in that situation. That leaves your only option being nukes, and as I said, when metal is that scarce it takes forever and a day to get them. That, or just praying that the AI spawns on the same planet as you. Or praying that you don't get that atrocious metal-scarce system, though it's not too bad with orbital tech, even for my Anchor rush (I just can't build the Anchors with multiple fabricators since I don't have the metal income to support that, I can only afford to do it with one fabricator, maybe two).
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Or build hundreds of transports and mass move hundreds of units as most people do? :p
  11. Arklon

Arklon New Member

Moving hundreds of orbital units all at once to another planet is a 50/50 chance of the simulation freezing and you have to start all over. It's been that way since at some point in the beta, but prior to that point it almost never happened.
  12. squishypon3

Play offline? :>
  13. Arklon

Arklon New Member

Only an option in skirmish and MP, not Galactic War.
  14. squishypon3

Nope, you can play offline Galactic War. :p
  15. Arklon

Arklon New Member

There is no option for starting a new Galactic War in offline mode nor for starting individual battles in offline mode. "Create local game" only exists under Multiplayer (though I assume AI skirmish uses offline mode). Galactic War is most definitely using PlayFab because I have gotten disconnected from server 5 seconds before winning before, and this had happened after the update that added offline mode.
  16. squishypon3

If you set your default to offline, it should not.
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

To check wether you are playing offline or not, open your taskmanager and look for a "server.exe" that is running at high cpu/memory usage when ingame. That's the PA server. If it is there you are playing offline. Even when playing offline you can still "loose the connection to the server", as that simply means: The server crashed. That's not nice, sure, but such things tend to happen. :S As one can read in the patchnotes Uber has means for automatic bug reports in such cases at least.
  18. classic1977

classic1977 Member

You mean like, how competent companies do it?
  19. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

with 20 packs of paid dlc (battlefield, cod) and buggy mess on release (battlefield, rome) ... forcing people online for single player (dablo 3, sim city).... no not like that
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Competency has nothing to do with it.

Ubers trying out the new crowd funding method, and as expected, it's a shaky road for any developer to travel.

Uber is competent, but is restricted to limited funding to achieve what most company's have twice or more levels of funding to achieve.

Not that this means they are shielded from criticism if you are unsatisfied, but it doesn't mean most people have to put up with calls of incompetency from a random forum post.