[WIP][Server] Orbital Warfare Overhaul

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by emraldis, August 13, 2014.

1. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

I have had a little look at your github. You have a syntax error in hammerhead_tool_weapon.json.

It looks like all your issues stem from using bad base specs. For example lets look at missile_platform_ammo.json. If you look in there we have...
    "base_spec":"/pa/ammo/base_missiles/base_missile_aa_seeking.json"
    ...and that goes onto have...
    "base_spec":"/pa/ammo/base_missiles/base_missile_seeking.json"
    ...and that goes onto have...
    "base_spec":"/pa/ammo/base_missiles/base_missile.json"
    Now we get to find our first interesting thing like "spawn_layers":"WL_Air", but it doesn't end there...
    "base_spec":"/pa/ammo/base_ammo/base_ammo.json"
    In here we have things like "flight_layer":"Air"

I hope you can start to see why it's not working.
  2. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

I found the "spawn_layers":"WL_Air", just now. I changed it to WL_Orbital and it still didn't work. Now I see that we also need to change the flight layer to orbital.

What if you want to target something in the air layer with a homing missile from a unit in the orbital layer. Would that not be possible the way that the layers are set up?
  3. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

Changing the spawn layer and the flight layer to orbital worked on both orbital to orbital and orbital to air. I think it losses its homing ability at the last split second (it is really hard to even tell), but that should not be a problem.

Thanks!
  4. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

but if that was the case, shouldn't the unit not be able to fire? because it works fine, except for the fact that they do not home in on targets...
  5. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Progress is slow on the modelling end due to exams for me, but I have managed to continue slowly working on my new version of the Excalibur. Not finished yet, but getting close. Unless I decide to redesign again for some reason.

Anyway here's a comparison between the new and old versions.

Ye Olde Noob Model:
    [​IMG]

New Boss Model:
    [​IMG]

I think we can all agree that the new version looks better than the old one. Hopefully this fits PA's style ingame.

Again as usual any feedback is appreciated.
    Last edited: October 16, 2014
  6. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Yep, newer one is heaps better. Hard to say on the style though before seeing it in-game along all the other units...
  7. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

I think it looks great!! Can we call it the Unit Cannon II?
    Nicb1 likes this.
  8. emraldis

Only if you can make the projectiles dox.
    igncom1 likes this.
  9. Nightovizard

Nightovizard Member

Oh yeas! the new model looks incredible, that really fits in PA universe. guess that whats left are the turrets (missiles or cannons?) and the textures, and I suppose it has a main canon like the unsc frigate, right? Keep up with the good work. Can't wait to see the improvements for the hammerhead, and the new models :) Take into consideration the poly count too, details are nice, but in a massive game like PA, it can cause lag.
  10. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

Isn't polycount too high for something that is potentially going to be spammed in hundreds? Vanilla models are much more simpler.

Is there an option to use normal maps/bump maps for those little details?
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'm sure it'd be fine, considering how large it is. As in- is it really going to be that spammy? Just look at the ships of PA. :p
    Nicb1 likes this.
  12. emraldis

It's not going to be spammy, unless you let it get spammy...
    sigmud2 and squishypon3 like this.
  13. Nicb1

I can tell you know that compared to a vanilla leviathan, this model isn't all that detailed. Also this is quite a large and somewhat expensive unit. You won't be spamming it like dox.(well at least I'm not wanting this to be a regular occurrence anyway)

If we find it to be too detailed I'll get rid of some of the details like the vents and use textures instead.

For those of you who are interested as soon as I can I'll post an image of the raw unrendered model with the wire frame showing .

Thanks for the positive feedback anyway guys :)
  14. Azarath

Azarath Member

I too want the SXX to be something of an Ion Cannon.
    When I first saw the SXX my first thought was "That's an Ion Cannon", however I wasn't too pleased how it fires.
    I expected it to charge up and shoot a solid beam.

I've been thinking of going into the mod forum and request a visual change to the SXX to give it a solid beam but in the end I decided to not do it.
    Last edited: October 21, 2014
  15. emraldis

Hmmm. Just had a thought. What if we made the SXX a superweapon, and made it do massive amounts of damage in a large AOE (say, on par with a nuke) but then made it only able to fire one shot per massive amount of energy, and also made the unit itself really expensive?
  16. Nicb1

Oooh I like. We have to change the weapon effect to a team colored beam though and make it have a large team coloured explosion upon impact. Probs wouldn't give it nuke style stats though, but still make it fairly powerful with a fairly large aoe.
    Last edited: October 20, 2014
  17. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

Yea I agree, it should be a lot more powerful than it is not with a a lot more AOE. Not as much as a nuke though.
  18. emraldis

ok, I'll see what I can do when I have time. I think I'll try to get a continuous beam effect going, and just have it laser the targeted spot for a while, but we'll see.
  19. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

I increased the SXX damage and splash to make it awesome. I haven't messed with the effects though.
    emraldis likes this.
  20. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

Wow this Mod is already more way fun to play than the vanilla game! And that is just against the AI!
    emraldis likes this.