An Idea for a new tournament map concept.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Nullimus, October 17, 2014.

1. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

Tournaments present several logistical challenges. I have come up with a map idea that could integrate many aspects of managing a tournament right into the map.

Lets say there is a 4 player tournament. Now all we need are 3 star systems to have every match take place on a different map.

My idea is this.
    Create a galactic map with 3 different stars. the 4 players start off 1v1 or team vs team in the first round along the outer reaches of the galaxy.

Every two star systems is connected to one of the systems closer to the center of the galaxy. When one commander has been defeated in each match the portals will open to the next star system. both surviving commanders then move through their respective portals and arrive in the next star system for the next match.

This concept is perfectly scalable and could even be modified to allow double elimination tournaments.

I think this idea would be a blast to play because it would create a very real sense of continuity from one match to the next.

My only real question is: Do any of the modders out there think the functionality is in place to actually set this up? Because I would love to play it.
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

No.

Also... why?
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

So Multiplayer Galactic War?
  4. Nullimus

Bummer :-(

And... why not?
  5. Nullimus

Kind of.
  6. plague11

plague11 Member

maybe just requires a little to much work to set up but sounds like a cool idea to me.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Because things work just fine as is and this is completely pointless and would take a lot of coding to make work.
  8. cola_colin

Multiplayer galactic war can be a lot of fun actually.
  9. plague11

plague11 Member

make sense and you could do the tournament but on a much smaller scale lets say a sector of a galaxy with only 7 maps. also they would be set up like any nomral match
  10. plague11

plague11 Member

and true it would but it work take a lot of time to make the whole thing work very well with a small anomunt of crashes
  11. foerest

foerest Member

"An Idea for a new tournament map."

[​IMG]

Notice both sides can be completely symmetrical and still have different artwork to add flavor to the map, no matter what side you start on like a chess board, football field, nhl rink, basketball court, tennis, dota, guess who iz a mystery, any "RTS" game/sport this = balanced, because it is 100% the same on both sides, would it not seem silly in chess tournaments if there were to be extra squares on one side of that map? I am all for the cool ffa maps and team army maps I guess, but in tournaments it should be fair no?
    iron71 and cola_colin like this.
  12. Nullimus

I like what you are saying but I don't know how that follows with the initial post.

It is a cool looking map. Is it from Star Craft?
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

In an rts like starcraft with three factions, balanced maps are a must. Since PA has just one faction, we can add the asymmetric gameplay through maps instead. I don't believe it is any harder to balance an asymmetric map than it is to balance multiple factions.
  14. foerest

foerest Member

they even play both sides of the map to be even more balanced in almost all games/sports
  15. foerest

foerest Member

still only one faction irl sports no? human, I guess when they start making super bots that will change but it will be like watching that bot on jeopardy just own everyone
  16. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Well, different teams have very different players. I guess to me that can mean there is variation in the factions.
  17. cola_colin

PA is in dire need for a function that can give every unit an individual name. FA had that. Was so much fun, playing with a UI mod that gave a unique name to every single tank you build.
    Let's start naming every single dox.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  18. foerest

foerest Member

is there no way to split a seed and mirror it?
  19. foerest

foerest Member

like we can clone humans bros and plants, we can do it team, we can split dah seeds
  20. Nullimus

We can always have 2 or more identical starting planets.