Civilization: Beyond Earth announced

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by abubaba, April 12, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

First episode of a playthrough of the first 250 turns:

I've always almost liked Civ V. I think the sci fi is enough to push me over the edge.
    igncom1 likes this.
  2. Geers

Ok kinda swinging back towards not getting it. Played Civ V again and got supremely "irritated" let's say when I launched four nukes at Thebes and it did bugger all. F*ck you Ramses.
  3. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

OOOOOoooOOOh!

An interview video today said beyond earth will be released on mac and linux on 24 october as well, as a global release. This is the only site I could find this information on, so I'm not sure if it is true. We'll see if Firaxis updates it's site, or if this is a misunderstanding by 2k. Interesting.

For more videos visit MadDjinn's channel. He streams and uploads his footage to yt as well. He has already done 2 250-turn playtroughs, excluding one that he couldn't finish because of a build update.
  4. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I'll be playing this regardless. I still love Civ 5, and it is to this day one of my most played games in my Steam library. This is just an updated Alpha Centauri for Civ 5, which.. yes, thank you please.
    cwarner7264 and Gorbles like this.
  5. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I love this technology web idea so much.
    Tech_web_(CivBE).jpg
    Looks really cool.
    EDIT: Ninja'd... by like, a billion years.
  6. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Pretty much this. SMAC is one of my favourite games, full stop, and CiV is probably one of my favourites in the series.

(tbh it probably goes CiV > Civ I for me, though the econ. tax in the first game is horrendous)
  7. Geers

Apparently preview copies got pulled off Steam, so the people who had preview walkthroughs can't continue their series'. Anyone know anything about this?
  8. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Something about it
  9. Geers

That's where I heard about it in the first place, so not helpful :p.
  10. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Well they guy does say it came out of nowhere, so i'm fairly certain that's the definiton of "nobody really knows" :)
  11. Geers

Just a few more hours to go!
  12. jvickers

jvickers Member

I'm really looking forward to this game. I hope it's enough like Alpha Centauri (an amazing game that I strongly recommend to those who want great gameplay but not modern graphics), and not too much like Civ 5 in terms of gameplay (like no unit stacking).

If it could have the gameplay a lot like more like Alpha Centauri and graphics of the standard of Civ 5 then it will be an amazing game. The thing which I am worried I will find annoying is if I prefer the gameplay of Alpha Centauri, like if this game were equivalent to a console version of Alpha Centauri. They have a really tough act to follow, hopefully this does turn out to be in improvement over Alpha Centauri in terms of gameplay. There is no doubt the graphics will be better, hopefully it runs quickly and smoothly too, like I always remember Alpha Centauri doing.
  13. Gorbles

It will play more like CiV.

Also, unit stacking is a cancer on games design and I'm glad they finally removed it. I still play and enjoy SMAC (I got it through GOG after losing my original CD-ROM install), but infinite stacks of doom are incredibly dumb (as well as immersion-breaking wrt. logistics).

Remember, Beyond Earth is not Alpha Centauri 2. It was never intended to be SMAC 2. It was never advertised as SMAC 2. Just bear that in mind, even if it means you don't get the game.
  14. jvickers

jvickers Member

I'm also against infinite unit stacking but I think the other opposite is very problematic too.

I think something like units having a unit size, with many being size 1, some larger ones being size 2, the biggest being size 3, with a maximum of 5 size total on a tile would work well.
    Geers likes this.
  15. jvickers

jvickers Member

I just got the game, and am watching an in-depth preview. I'm glad to hear that they acknowledge that late game Civ 5 'chuggs', but with AMD Mantle in Civ: Beyone Earth, it does not, and they were surprised at how effective it was.
  16. Gorbles

Chugging is also greatly improved by processor ability, I found. I went from my old Q6600 (2.4GHz) to an i5-3570k (3.4GHz) and end-of-round resolutions were greatly reduced (in CiV, I played a good 30 hours pre-upgrade and another 80 post-upgrade).

Variant unit sizes (per tile) is something that's worth discussing. An initial compelling argument against that is burden of knowledge on new players (considering how estoric Civ knowledge used to be and how subsequent games have worked on that to improve the situation). It would be an interesting expansion of custom game modes, if something like that were possible to implement as a game mode (as it stands, the game modes don't necessarily shake things up all that much - unlike some of the options that SMAC had for customising the game rules).
  17. jvickers

jvickers Member

I don't think I played much Civ 5 on my powerful new PC, I was playing a lot of Planetary Annihilation.

It seems like there will be a considerable performance improvement still with this game, it would be very good to have it really fast in the late game, that would be my preference to just it not being too slow. Let's see.
  18. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Mac and Linux users! Remember you can preorder via Aspyr (to Gameagent)!
    Hurry, just a handful of hours left!
  19. jvickers

jvickers Member

Firaxis have also said that with AMD Mantle the game works a lot faster in the late game. That was one part of Civ 5 which was a let-down for me, now I have a much faster computer, also with a good AMD graphics card (well 2 actually but I had trouble getting crossfire working), and it will be very good if the game actually is running really fast.

By the looks of things, the only thing I will find annoying is the lack of any unit stacking on a tile - but I don't know that for a fact yet.
  20. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I think I'll wait for the All in One pack with all the DLC in 3 years. Besides, it's really not that different from Civ V to get me excited. I have seen more ambitious mods tbh.
  21. Geers

I haven't. The only things I ever saw in the Steam Workshop were essentially reskins of stuff.